• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for suggestions on phone mounts

I know I’m getting to this party late, but I just rode to FL from DFW area using the quad lock system and now my phone’s camera is cooked. I used their ram mount holder with their vibration dampening gizmo attached. I’m pretty disappointed with this failure. Their system isn’t cheap. And now I’m in FL with no camera. 🤨

wow - that's a bummer. What phone was that?

I know I’m getting to this party late, but I just rode to FL from DFW area using the quad lock system and now my phone’s camera is cooked. I used their ram mount holder with their vibration dampening gizmo attached. I’m pretty disappointed with this failure. Their system isn’t cheap. And now I’m in FL with no camera. 🤨
Wow that stinks.

I could have sworn while I was researching cases due to this, some of the youtube comments were stating a new camera could be had at a phone repair store for under $100 installed (while you wait or drop off and pick after a meal type deal I'd expect).

Wow that stinks.

I could have sworn while I was researching cases due to this, some of the youtube comments were stating a new camera could be had at a phone repair store for under $100 installed (while you wait or drop off and pick after a meal type deal I'd expect).
I might do that. Thanks

Well, I was wasting time on Instagram and saw another ad from quad lock. So I commented on their post about my problems. I got a DM advising me to open a ticket with them as this is a rare event. So I guess at least they do support their product.

I might do that. Thanks
Also look up iPhone repair on youtube. there’s a fellow who has tutorials on how to replace parts of the iphone very, very cheaply, though this won’t be quick enough for your trip, I’d bet.

Up to you, of course. If the phone still has insurance, you might be able to swap it out at a store and they can flip everything to your new phone in a short time.

My Pixel 2 got the vibe-attack treatment and I haven't put a phone back on the handlebars since. Just not worth the risk. I rely on my phone. I need it to work, especially out at the end of a ride where I need the maps to work. FWIW a wireless earbud and audio directions solves 99% of the reason I used the phone for navigation and keeps it in my pocket and also keeps the screen off so it doesn't drain the battery.

I have been using a Pixel 3 on the bike for nav. It has been there over 5,000 miles and so far no issues. It is one I had left after getting a new phone so I do not use the camera. Decided to check it just now and it seems to be working fine. I have it in a Hondo Juiced Squeeze on the bars. I think it vibrates less there than other locations maybe.

The Pixel & almost every other mobile phone uses an electronic image stabilization system but the new iPhones use a mechanical one which is the part that is damaged by vibrations.

I've been using a Pixel 5 in a QuadLock/Ram mount on my FJ-09 for well over a year now with no issues. Better suspension?

Had a Pixel 1, 2, 3 & now a 6 - all have spent much time on handlebars without a single issue.

ALL phones with image stabilization are susceptible to damage from vibration. If you don't have some type vibration isolation, it will get damaged eventually. The camera may still work but if you move it a round a little while taking a picture you will notice that it's blurry this is because the image stabilization is damaged. You may not even know your phone is damaged if you don't take a lot of pictures with it or you're not very familiar with the image stabilization feature.

It wasn't image stabilization that failed on mine. Some camera related part literally vibrated loose. I could hear it rattling around. No app would run because the camera hardware couldn't be initialized and the battery would drain fully in less than an hour. It was just short of a catastrophic hardware failure.

Back