• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lost job - prayers appreciated

Tracker

Forum Supporter
Odd place to be at this stage of life - 58. Never been laid off or fired. :giveup:

God is BIG, no doubts (today). What He has in store, I don't know, but He has never failed us. Please pray for my wife and I; she will struggle with loss of "security" from not having a job and the fear of the cost of health insurance and just the whole insurance mess. My struggle will be self-doubt and wavering faith. I need to hear God's voice as He did with Joshua, "Be strong and courageous" 5x, God told Joshua that in the first chapter of Joshua, to a guy that had been Moses right hand guy, led many a battle and seen many a miracle. God doesn't waste His breath; I believe Joshua needed to hear that and hear it repeatedly, as will I. Old age is definitely not for sissies.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Re: Losing/lost job

Hang in there. It's true that we can't always see the path ahead. One step at a time, friend.

WhiskeySmith

Uff Da
Forum Supporter

When I turned 50 I quit my job of 15 years due to burn-out. Well, that and a year earlier my employer had basically told me to choose between riding motorcycles and keeping my job.

I had no plan...just knew that I needed a break and some rest. Right away I decided to volunteer with the local Habitat for Humanity and served on their Board of Directors until I found employment eleven months later. While serving, the Board found out I had a background in IT so they asked if I would build a website for them.

My background is in writing code for business applications on a mainframe, not building websites. However, they needed me so I took on the challenge. I spent a month learning the basics of website hosting, design, building, etc. Then spent a month building a website for them. And I ended up building websites for two local businesses a few months later. Five months after building my first website, a job opening came up in my home town for a Webmaster. I applied, but didn't hear back. During the tenth month of my self-induced unemployment, I had three other job interviews...and never heard back from any of them. During the eleventh month, I reached out again for the Webmaster position and talked my way into an interview. I was hired the same day.

As I said, when I left my former employer, I didn't have a plan. After two months I was ready to sell the house and everything in it and just ride my bike around the country until the money ran out. But my sister called right after I had reached out to a realtor and said she and her husband were moving to Texas and needed to stay at my house. So I stayed put, kept the house and somehow kept up with the mortgage payments. It is surprising how far you can stretch and dollar when pressed.

Yes, I was very fortunate with how things worked out. However, all the while I heard the words “Be strong and courageous”. Prayers.

Will do. That's a rough lick, for sure. Hey, if it had to happen...The economy is at full steam, businesses are hiring all over and one of them would love to add your skills and years of experience to their crew. You know, sometimes (OK, most times) blessings come in ways we don't easily recognize for a while.

we've been jobless a few times through the years, and He's always seen us through to a new and better for us adventure. He Is Faithful.

Math. 6:25-34..(consider the lilies of the field). God is never failing, always faithful. I know what you mean about doubting yourself. I find myself there all to often. Praying for you and yours......Dave

Praying for you Gary!!

It is hard to be patient but God is in control. Stay busy! It tends to open doors.

Tracker

Forum Supporter

Thanks, all. Even though I don't get around y'all's parts these days, it is a great encouragement. I'll probably work there for the next 1-2 months in transition, as I am the Service Director and they'll need to hire a replacement. We'll see; one day at a time.

DaveC

Forum Supporter

Been there, done that. My wife doesnt believe me when I tell her they don't hire old guys. When you hit the five oh, they corps have a tendency not to. The good news id that the best opportunities are in services for the baby boomers that are retiring. Wait, thats us!

WoodButcher

Admin

My one and only lay off, so far, was in my mid forties. Kind of a shock. Took 10 months to get back to work in something similar to what I did. Belt tightening, soul searching, self doubt, all of that I understand. You will come out fine, you have to trust God in that. Prayer will help, be open to changes because they may be what pops up. I ended up taking a few steps back in what I was doing, but ended up enjoying it more than what I had been doing.

I was laid off the 1st time when I was 29 and my wife was 8 months pregnant. Actually, it turned out to be the best thing, career wise, that ever happened to me, because it pushed me out of what I already knew was a dead-end low-pay job, and got me out looking for my 1st IT job - and my career for the next 28 years.

Layoff #2 was when I was your age - nearing 57 y/o. The company was having 2 layoffs a year like clockwork, I had already been pushed out of management, and my graying hair put a target on my back. I took a voluntary layoff which included a slight bonus over the normal package, and on my 57th birthday, rode into the sunset. It was a tight couple of years because that was 2008 - when the economy nearly collapsed and my 401K took a massive hit. But it was also the year my parents, no longer able to properly care for themselves, finally moved from San Antonio to be near me. I quickly found out I couldn't have managed a full time job and my parents' needs at the same time, so having retired prematurely ended up being a huge blessing. And somehow, even though money was tight, money was always there until my 401K recovered and Social Security kicked in. And that's how I finally figured out what Philippians 4:6-7 was all about.

SL350

Forum Supporter

Sorry for all the stress at this point of your life. I have several friends 59-60 who have been laid off. Seems to be tough to finish at 65 anymore. I know you to be an early riser and hard worker and that puts you ahead of many. Maybe you can target early morning jobs, ones that most will avoid to get a little more pillow time.

A lot happens from just before 4am.

Montejay

Forum Supporter

Tracker, I'm praying for you. I am 58 also and have had that fear. I've been a manager for 30 years and I hate to say it, but I like the work ethic of a 58 year old better than most of the younger group. So I feel there is a place/plan waiting for you.

Will be praying for you.

“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”
**Jeremiah‬ *17:7-8‬ *NIV‬‬

this twtex crew allways amazing so much care and heartfelt consern for our fellow man .best of luck on the job hunt like rg said lots of jobs out there god bless. td

Tracker, where are you located and what kind of work do you have solid background in?

I'm hiring if you're a skilled machinist in the north Austin area. I also have an entry level opening in finishing work if you don't mind using your hands and some dust...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If your a Veteran be sure to check with the Veterans Services people at Texas Workforce. I found people there who went to the wall to help me when I got dumped after a battle with my employer after hurting my back. The Veterans people pretty much led me by the hand through learning to build a great resume that employers will actually read rather than dumping it in the trash can. I can give you some great names if you live in the Cedar Park or Round Rock area. Hope it works out for you, don't give up.

Tracker

Forum Supporter

Tracker, where are you located and what kind of work do you have solid background in?

I'm hiring if you're a skilled machinist in the north Austin area. I also have an entry level opening in finishing work if you don't mind using your hands and some dust...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I would love to look at something like that, but I'm pretty well entrenched in NC at this point. I'm an IT geek, but like working with my hands.

If your a Veteran be sure to check with the Veterans Services people at Texas Workforce. I found people there who went to the wall to help me when I got dumped after a battle with my employer after hurting my back. The Veterans people pretty much led me by the hand through learning to build a great resume that employers will actually read rather than dumping it in the trash can. I can give you some great names if you live in the Cedar Park or Round Rock area. Hope it works out for you, don't give up.
Not a Vet, but glad someone had your six.

Resumes and online are good to pursue, but my experience is it's usually who you know and who will open a door for you. I'll purse the online job applying hard as I can, but in something like 88% of the cases, it's networking that gets the job. Of course, I only need one, which is good, and God owns the cattle on a thousand hills and spoke the Universe into existence, so I'll be good. It's just a matter of doing my best and seeing what He has in store for us.

Tracker, as a 57 year old professional in the computer industry I can related to your situation, even though I am employed. You have the right positive frame of mind to carry you through this. You're right that your network is going to be the best way to land a new position quickly, but using the online job searching technologies is a close second if you've got skills. There are many jobs out there! I am sure you already know this, but getting a contract job until a more permanent opportunity becomes available is a good way to get some cash flow.

Glad to hear you have 6 months with full pay and benefits to prepare - that's a great thing - can help you get ready and make the most out of this change.

As they say, behind each change there is a good opportunity waiting if we are open to seizing it. Best luck!

Crew Chief

Forum Supporter

My apologies and please ignore if I'm getting too deep into this but... Do I understand correctly that they are hiring a replacement for you and you are being asked to bring him up to speed and they will then lay you off?

FWIW, I'm in a 100% agreement with the networking being the best solution. After weeks of submitting resume's for jobs I was exactly qualified for and not even getting a call, I was finally referred by a former employee of mine to a position that I was not an ideal candidate for, but I got the job. I didn't even talk to their HR department until after I was hired. I really - and I mean really, don't like HR departments.

If you're searching on-line, never forget that every single applicant is first searched by a computer. It doesn't matter how qualified you are, what sort of work you do, or have done, if your resume doesn't reflect the key words the computer is looking for, you'll never get a hit.

It's extremely important to network - yes, that's a fact - but if you're searching on-line, it's also extremely important to pay very close attention to the announcement, and the wording they use. They will tell you exactly what they're looking for, and if you hit all the right keywords, then your chances of getting that call or e-mail go up significantly. Even if you find the right guy, in any sort of company with an HR department, your first hurdle is the computer. HR can't pass on a resume/application the computer doesn't forward to them.

SWMBO is a recruiter for the USG. She works those high profile jobs that only people with "DR" in their title get. Trust me, you can get it, but you have to hit the high notes - and none of it can be a....stretch.

Last edited:

Tracker

Forum Supporter

My apologies and please ignore if I'm getting too deep into this but... Do I understand correctly that they are hiring a replacement for you and you are being asked to bring him up to speed and they will then lay you off?

FWIW, I'm in a 100% agreement with the networking being the best solution. After weeks of submitting resume's for jobs I was exactly qualified for and not even getting a call, I was finally referred by a former employee of mine to a position that I was not an ideal candidate for, but I got the job. I didn't even talk to their HR department until after I was hired. I really - and I mean really, don't like HR departments.
Short answer, I was fired, but given until the end of Sep to transition out. He doesn't have a replacement hired; but is forcing a recent hire (more sales) to try and fill the gap as interim Dir of Service. The sales guy is not happy, either, because it wasn't what he was promised. Funny, I got this job by a referral from a former employee at the previous job. He was fired a year ago. I knew the handwriting was on the wall, it was just a question of how long I could avoid and stomach the confrontations.

Crew Chief

Forum Supporter

Short answer, I was fired, but given until the end of Sep to transition out. He doesn't have a replacement hired; but is forcing a recent hire (more sales) to try and fill the gap as interim Dir of Service. The sales guy is not happy, either, because it wasn't what he was promised. Funny, I got this job by a referral from a former employee at the previous job. He was fired a year ago. I knew the handwriting was on the wall, it was just a question of how long I could avoid and stomach the confrontations.
Interesting. I've had my share of tough places to work as well. I'm a pretty tough old guy and can stand up and fight when I need to, but I don't like going to work when I know there will be continual strife. The last two transitions I made at age 50 and again at 56 were both tough, but I think we came out ahead on both of them. My hopes and prayers that this will be a positive for you in the long run.

bwdmax

Forum Supporter

Tracker I will hold you up in prayer as you make this transition. I have been blessed to work at the same location for 20yrs. I have survived takeovers, acquisitions,and mergers thus far, but know that my day may come. I hope that when it does I can have the positive outlook that you have. Hang in there.

Interesting. I've had my share of tough places to work as well. I'm a pretty tough old guy and can stand up and fight when I need to, but I don't like going to work when I know there will be continual strife. The last two transitions I made at age 50 and again at 56 were both tough, but I think we came out ahead on both of them. My hopes and prayers that this will be a positive for you in the long run.
My job was in a contentious, dog-eat-dog sweatshop that too often rewarded exactly the wrong behaviors. I could have held on for one, maybe two more years. But after 22 years of the same, I was just plumb weary. Some things just aren't worth the money.

Tracker

Forum Supporter

Thanks, all. God is my rock, my shield, my strong fortress.
It's been a challenge, no doubt. I also found out my best friend of 30+ yrs has been diagnosed with Parkinsons, and on top of that, one of my chickens died.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter

That can be really tough to reconcile.
Hang in there; strive to realize this is his issue; not a fault of yours.

Crew Chief

Forum Supporter

Today is proving to be a "tougher" day. President/boss wants my skills, training and production, but doesn't want me in the office.
Darn dude. I've had some of those days and I didn't like them. Do what you think is best and gives you the most peace. It ain't much, but I'm praying.

Odd place to be at this stage of life - 58. Never been laid off or fired. :giveup:

God is BIG, no doubts (today). What He has in store, I don't know, but He has never failed us. Please pray for my wife and I; she will struggle with loss of "security" from not having a job and the fear of the cost of health insurance and just the whole insurance mess. My struggle will be self-doubt and wavering faith. I need to hear God's voice as He did with Joshua, "Be strong and courageous" 5x, God told Joshua that in the first chapter of Joshua, to a guy that had been Moses right hand guy, led many a battle and seen many a miracle. God doesn't waste His breath; I believe Joshua needed to hear that and hear it repeatedly, as will I. Old age is definitely not for sissies.

Thanks.

Been there, done that, and it truly blows. Praying that God not only opens up an opportunity but a better opportunity than your old job.

It's tough and I also doubted myself too but looking back, God definitely provided for us and took care of us. Am I in a better place? Sometimes I think so and other times I do not. Life is life but God is good.

Windmill

Forum Supporter

Been there, done that, and it truly blows. Praying that God not only opens up an opportunity but a better opportunity than your old job.

It's tough and I also doubted myself too but looking back, God definitely provided for us and took care of us. Am I in a better place? Sometimes I think so and other times I do not. Life is life but God is good.
And His mercy endures forever and is from everlasting to everlasting. That's what I like about the TWT family, everyone encourages each other and really cares.

Tracker

Forum Supporter

Another challenging day. Went in to work on a project and finishing it in half the expected time. Need to find new projects to carry me through to Sep 30. I also need to be more disciplined in my job hunting efforts. 23 days... but, I went back an re-read the thread and man, what a great encouragement of all the prayers and kind, positive, insightful and helpful words. Thank you again.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter

Job hunting sucks! It does require discipline and persistence.
Hang in there.
You'll come out on top!

Tracker

Forum Supporter

The long journey continues. I've got a small contract job that will finish up this week. No other hot, or even warm prospects. Of course, when God opens the door, nothing can close it. Continued prayers appreciated. I have two other friends my age that have both been in job searches for 2+ years, that were both well respected, got great reviews, etc. Prayers for them, Keith & Danny, also appreciated. For all 3 of us, prayers, too, for our marriages. It's a strain.
G

Crew Chief

Forum Supporter

Prayers are said. Beyond that, the only advice I have to offer is to talk to everyone you can. I had zero luck going through HR departments even when it seemed I was an ideal match for the job. Even though I do not network very well, my last job and a recent offer (that I declined) came through a former employee of mine. Strangely he was one that I was pretty hard on sometimes. It truly is who you know. Best wishes.

Tracker

Forum Supporter

Prayers are said. Beyond that, the only advice I have to offer is to talk to everyone you can. I had zero luck going through HR departments even when it seemed I was an ideal match for the job. Even though I do not network very well, my last job and a recent offer (that I declined) came through a former employee of mine. Strangely he was one that I was pretty hard on sometimes. It truly is who you know. Best wishes.
Thanks and, yes, agree 100%. My latest job was a referral from a former employee (we've both since left.) Networking in a mostly rural county is a little challenging.

Tracker - living in rural SE Oklahoma, I know what you are saying about country living. Challenging in an understatement!

Since you are a God-follower, you might want to know there are alternatives to health insurance legally available. My wife and I have been members of LibertyHealthShare for two years. Less than what ObamaScare would cost through my employer and easy to deal with.

Grow not weary in well doing ...

Windmill

Forum Supporter
Tracker - living in rural SE Oklahoma, I know what you are saying about country living. Challenging in an understatement!

Since you are a God-follower, you might want to know there are alternatives to health insurance legally available. My wife and I have been members of LibertyHealthShare for two years. Less than what ObamaScare would cost through my employer and easy to deal with.

Grow not weary in well doing ...
Thanks Manfred, just requested information, hope you are ok in OK.

We are fine! Living on an 8 acre hill top - Brogden's Mountain! Been working these past two years at a small manufacturing firm that has been losing business. Faithful YHWH provided a new job at a booming business a mile away from my current job, start 17 Oct. Will work there 5 to 7 years or until my mind stays home.

Tracker

Forum Supporter
We are fine! Living on an 8 acre hill top - Brogden's Mountain! Been working these past two years at a small manufacturing firm that has been losing business. Faithful YHWH provided a new job at a booming business a mile away from my current job, start 17 Oct. Will work there 5 to 7 years or until my mind stays home.
Not only does He own the cattle on a 1000 hills, He owns the businesses, too. Thanks for sharing!

Prayers sent. Sorry it is a tough job market. Been looking for another FY job for about 2 years. I guess I don't network well. All the jobs I have had never came from knowing someone. Maybe that is my issue now? :). Keep the faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk