• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lost job - prayers appreciated

Re: Losing/lost job

I do appreciate the encouragement. (but 6 weeks, not 6 months)

My apologies and please ignore if I'm getting too deep into this but... Do I understand correctly that they are hiring a replacement for you and you are being asked to bring him up to speed and they will then lay you off?

FWIW, I'm in a 100% agreement with the networking being the best solution. After weeks of submitting resume's for jobs I was exactly qualified for and not even getting a call, I was finally referred by a former employee of mine to a position that I was not an ideal candidate for, but I got the job. I didn't even talk to their HR department until after I was hired. I really - and I mean really, don't like HR departments.

If you're searching on-line, never forget that every single applicant is first searched by a computer. It doesn't matter how qualified you are, what sort of work you do, or have done, if your resume doesn't reflect the key words the computer is looking for, you'll never get a hit.

It's extremely important to network - yes, that's a fact - but if you're searching on-line, it's also extremely important to pay very close attention to the announcement, and the wording they use. They will tell you exactly what they're looking for, and if you hit all the right keywords, then your chances of getting that call or e-mail go up significantly. Even if you find the right guy, in any sort of company with an HR department, your first hurdle is the computer. HR can't pass on a resume/application the computer doesn't forward to them.

SWMBO is a recruiter for the USG. She works those high profile jobs that only people with "DR" in their title get. Trust me, you can get it, but you have to hit the high notes - and none of it can be a....stretch.

Last edited:

My apologies and please ignore if I'm getting too deep into this but... Do I understand correctly that they are hiring a replacement for you and you are being asked to bring him up to speed and they will then lay you off?

FWIW, I'm in a 100% agreement with the networking being the best solution. After weeks of submitting resume's for jobs I was exactly qualified for and not even getting a call, I was finally referred by a former employee of mine to a position that I was not an ideal candidate for, but I got the job. I didn't even talk to their HR department until after I was hired. I really - and I mean really, don't like HR departments.

Short answer, I was fired, but given until the end of Sep to transition out. He doesn't have a replacement hired; but is forcing a recent hire (more sales) to try and fill the gap as interim Dir of Service. The sales guy is not happy, either, because it wasn't what he was promised. Funny, I got this job by a referral from a former employee at the previous job. He was fired a year ago. I knew the handwriting was on the wall, it was just a question of how long I could avoid and stomach the confrontations.

Short answer, I was fired, but given until the end of Sep to transition out. He doesn't have a replacement hired; but is forcing a recent hire (more sales) to try and fill the gap as interim Dir of Service. The sales guy is not happy, either, because it wasn't what he was promised. Funny, I got this job by a referral from a former employee at the previous job. He was fired a year ago. I knew the handwriting was on the wall, it was just a question of how long I could avoid and stomach the confrontations.

Interesting. I've had my share of tough places to work as well. I'm a pretty tough old guy and can stand up and fight when I need to, but I don't like going to work when I know there will be continual strife. The last two transitions I made at age 50 and again at 56 were both tough, but I think we came out ahead on both of them. My hopes and prayers that this will be a positive for you in the long run.

Tracker I will hold you up in prayer as you make this transition. I have been blessed to work at the same location for 20yrs. I have survived takeovers, acquisitions,and mergers thus far, but know that my day may come. I hope that when it does I can have the positive outlook that you have. Hang in there.

Interesting. I've had my share of tough places to work as well. I'm a pretty tough old guy and can stand up and fight when I need to, but I don't like going to work when I know there will be continual strife. The last two transitions I made at age 50 and again at 56 were both tough, but I think we came out ahead on both of them. My hopes and prayers that this will be a positive for you in the long run.

My job was in a contentious, dog-eat-dog sweatshop that too often rewarded exactly the wrong behaviors. I could have held on for one, maybe two more years. But after 22 years of the same, I was just plumb weary. Some things just aren't worth the money.

Thanks, all. God is my rock, my shield, my strong fortress.
It's been a challenge, no doubt. I also found out my best friend of 30+ yrs has been diagnosed with Parkinsons, and on top of that, one of my chickens died.

Today is proving to be a "tougher" day. President/boss wants my skills, training and production, but doesn't want me in the office.

That can be really tough to reconcile.
Hang in there; strive to realize this is his issue; not a fault of yours.

Today is proving to be a "tougher" day. President/boss wants my skills, training and production, but doesn't want me in the office.

Darn dude. I've had some of those days and I didn't like them. Do what you think is best and gives you the most peace. It ain't much, but I'm praying.

Odd place to be at this stage of life - 58. Never been laid off or fired. :giveup:

God is BIG, no doubts (today). What He has in store, I don't know, but He has never failed us. Please pray for my wife and I; she will struggle with loss of "security" from not having a job and the fear of the cost of health insurance and just the whole insurance mess. My struggle will be self-doubt and wavering faith. I need to hear God's voice as He did with Joshua, "Be strong and courageous" 5x, God told Joshua that in the first chapter of Joshua, to a guy that had been Moses right hand guy, led many a battle and seen many a miracle. God doesn't waste His breath; I believe Joshua needed to hear that and hear it repeatedly, as will I. Old age is definitely not for sissies.

Thanks.

Been there, done that, and it truly blows. Praying that God not only opens up an opportunity but a better opportunity than your old job.

It's tough and I also doubted myself too but looking back, God definitely provided for us and took care of us. Am I in a better place? Sometimes I think so and other times I do not. Life is life but God is good.

Been there, done that, and it truly blows. Praying that God not only opens up an opportunity but a better opportunity than your old job.

It's tough and I also doubted myself too but looking back, God definitely provided for us and took care of us. Am I in a better place? Sometimes I think so and other times I do not. Life is life but God is good.

And His mercy endures forever and is from everlasting to everlasting. That's what I like about the TWT family, everyone encourages each other and really cares.

Another challenging day. Went in to work on a project and finishing it in half the expected time. Need to find new projects to carry me through to Sep 30. I also need to be more disciplined in my job hunting efforts. 23 days... but, I went back an re-read the thread and man, what a great encouragement of all the prayers and kind, positive, insightful and helpful words. Thank you again.

Job hunting sucks! It does require discipline and persistence.
Hang in there.
You'll come out on top!

The long journey continues. I've got a small contract job that will finish up this week. No other hot, or even warm prospects. Of course, when God opens the door, nothing can close it. Continued prayers appreciated. I have two other friends my age that have both been in job searches for 2+ years, that were both well respected, got great reviews, etc. Prayers for them, Keith & Danny, also appreciated. For all 3 of us, prayers, too, for our marriages. It's a strain.
G

Prayers are said. Beyond that, the only advice I have to offer is to talk to everyone you can. I had zero luck going through HR departments even when it seemed I was an ideal match for the job. Even though I do not network very well, my last job and a recent offer (that I declined) came through a former employee of mine. Strangely he was one that I was pretty hard on sometimes. It truly is who you know. Best wishes.

Prayers are said. Beyond that, the only advice I have to offer is to talk to everyone you can. I had zero luck going through HR departments even when it seemed I was an ideal match for the job. Even though I do not network very well, my last job and a recent offer (that I declined) came through a former employee of mine. Strangely he was one that I was pretty hard on sometimes. It truly is who you know. Best wishes.

Thanks and, yes, agree 100%. My latest job was a referral from a former employee (we've both since left.) Networking in a mostly rural county is a little challenging.

Tracker - living in rural SE Oklahoma, I know what you are saying about country living. Challenging in an understatement!

Since you are a God-follower, you might want to know there are alternatives to health insurance legally available. My wife and I have been members of LibertyHealthShare for two years. Less than what ObamaScare would cost through my employer and easy to deal with.

Grow not weary in well doing ...

Tracker - living in rural SE Oklahoma, I know what you are saying about country living. Challenging in an understatement!

Since you are a God-follower, you might want to know there are alternatives to health insurance legally available. My wife and I have been members of LibertyHealthShare for two years. Less than what ObamaScare would cost through my employer and easy to deal with.

Grow not weary in well doing ...

Thanks Manfred, just requested information, hope you are ok in OK.

We are fine! Living on an 8 acre hill top - Brogden's Mountain! Been working these past two years at a small manufacturing firm that has been losing business. Faithful YHWH provided a new job at a booming business a mile away from my current job, start 17 Oct. Will work there 5 to 7 years or until my mind stays home.

We are fine! Living on an 8 acre hill top - Brogden's Mountain! Been working these past two years at a small manufacturing firm that has been losing business. Faithful YHWH provided a new job at a booming business a mile away from my current job, start 17 Oct. Will work there 5 to 7 years or until my mind stays home.

Not only does He own the cattle on a 1000 hills, He owns the businesses, too. Thanks for sharing!

Not only does He own the cattle on a 1000 hills, He owns the businesses, too. Thanks for sharing!

Yes He does! And Christ Jesus will return one day to judge the nations and welcome those who are eagerly awaiting His return.

Prayers sent. Sorry it is a tough job market. Been looking for another FY job for about 2 years. I guess I don't network well. All the jobs I have had never came from knowing someone. Maybe that is my issue now? :). Keep the faith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back