• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lowering a 2013 KTM 690 Enduro as much as possible?

jsb

Reaction score
Any lowering gurus out there? Links, kits (springs & spacers), or a combination where the rear tire does not hit the tank? It has with the 1.5" Kouba Link and minimum preload.

Last edited:
Try this. Its a 40mm Super Moto lowering kit. Thats a bunch.

KTM LOWERING KIT 690 SMC R 2019-2023​

Reactions: jsb
My post is not to bash . Why do you desire to lower a bike that has a purpose of max ground clearance ? It is light with a narrow seat , and easy to handle.
How tall or short are you ? Inseam ? Considered skills training ? I'm 5'1" , and manage a 600 lb beast that rides 1" taller than OEM seat height.
Skills / training go a long way to making ADV riding easier , but there will always be falls .
Tigers like frequent naps ;)
20211004_144120.jpg
20220306_113237.jpg
20221002_131210.jpg
20220722_172157.jpg

It’s not a skills issue. 5’6”. 30” inseam. Damaged right leg that I can’t fully trust and can’t extend my right foot. I’m also not young anymore.
My purpose with it is a light adv bike with good power:weight.
I’m ok with giving up some ground clearance to reduce falls & potential injuries. I road it as is for a week in CO last summer, so it’s a preference. I can ride a friend’s higher Husky, but it’s not pretty. The bike is an experiment that may not work out for me. Looking for the best option before I consider giving up.

The 40-50mm kits that go internal are the way to go to achieve your goal. The lowering links just drop the mounting point but the shock still has full travel so it bottoms out on the tank. The internal kit will take the travel out of the shock extension. The compressed length will remain the same so the bottoming point will be the same as factory. This reduces the travel by the lowered amount but in your case that sounds acceptable. The internal kit will require disassembly and reassembly so new fluid and nitrogen charge will be required.

I assume the following does the same as the Koubalink since it doesn't change the shock travel range:

I found the following lowering kits, but more research is need to see if applicable to a 2013:

I assume the following does the same as the Koubalink since it doesn't change the shock travel range:

I found the following lowering kits, but more research is need to see if applicable to a 2013:
I bought a nicecnc lowering link off Amazon for my 690. The bearings in it were junk. Sent it back and ordered a Koubalink. Big difference…

I spoke to the local mc suspension guru. It'll likely cost $1k to do it right. Decision time.

I’m not interested in elevated boots.
The Seat Concepts seat foam has been shaved in the front. The plastic base/pan is curved up, which I think is to clear the air intake. I considered modifying it, but I haven’t checked the intake clearance.

Proper lowering is done internally. The KTM kit is very good, but various shops can do the same. A fellow on the Big Adventure Forum did that, put a 19" front and 17" rear and got another little bit lower, is very happy.

It's not cheap to do it right.

Unscrew the gas cap and slide a lower bike underneath it. Maybe a 690 duke?
Even though I've poured time & $ into the 690 Enduro, I considered a different bike. I sat on a 2022 390 Adventure this weekend. Lower pwr:wt, 65 #s heavier (!), and I hear it is top end biased. All going the wrong direction. Lighter is righter. It almost weighs as much as my old Hawk. I think it would make a great road & dirt road bike. Bars are 3-4" too low for standing technical riding.
I've considered a CRF300L Rally, but everything I've seen says highway speeds are a no go. Somehow worse than my CRF250L. It would hit an indicated 90 mph downhill with the past intake & exhaust mods. From my home, it's often highways to get to what's interesting.
My old V-Strom 650 is just to heavy for me doing anything technical.
I seem to be looking for a 40+ hp DS bike with EFI, CRF250L dimensions, and quiet stock exhaust. Lowering my 690 Enduro experiment will get me close.

Last edited:
Proper lowering is done internally. The KTM kit is very good, but various shops can do the same. A fellow on the Big Adventure Forum did that, put a 19" front and 17" rear and got another little bit lower, is very happy.

It's not cheap to do it right.
Any known shops in or near San Antonio? I may take a kit to Hertell's here and/or talk to Alpha Moto.

Back