• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

lowering a harbor freight trailer?

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
OK smart folks... I got my replacement axle from Harbor Freight ($25 + $6 shipping - amazing!!) and I'm ready to install in the next day or so... But, I was thinking of flipping the axle to live on top of the leaf springs instead of below it. That'll lower the deck by probably 2.5 to 3 inches - making loading and unloading that much easier.

But, that puts the U bolts in tension and constantly stressed, instead of resting the trailer on top of the axle.

I think with decent (perhaps new) U bolts, properly tightened and locktited, and under the very low loads I pull (~400 lb bike), this should all still be OK.

Agree? Or is this a stupid risk for only a 2 to 3" gain in loading ease?

things to think about if you go that route.

1, will there be enough clearance between the top of the axle and the frame?
2. will there be enough clearance between the rear and trailer and the road to get in and out of places safely?
4. a drop hitch might be necessary to maintain a level trailer.
3. absolutely use new u-bolts and make sure your backing plate is correct.

U-bolts are in tension when properly tightened anyway.
The rec to replace them with u-bolts of known quality is warranted.
The reduced ground clearance will be the potential unintended consequence.
May want to add a rubber bump stop between the axle and frame if there isn't already one.

good - thanks for the feedback. Ground clearance and tongue height shouldn't be an issue at all - these things are needlessly tall as stock... But I'll test it all out as I proceed...

As stated, my biggest concern would be the axle hitting the frame when you drive over bumps or pot holes, how much clearance is there between the top of the axle and the bottom of the trailer frame? if you have mudguards, you might have to move them up to clear the wheels, otherwise many trailer manufacturers mount the axle above the leaf springs (rather than below) so I can't see any real issue.

Beware, lots of trailer axles and springs have a small locating dowel that keeps the axle from rotating or the spring from moving side to side. Will the axle rotate so the pin still lines up with the hole?

I think you will be fine, Try it if it doesn't work change it back. I', fixing to raise my cargo dual axel trailer by axel under spring . My axle's have a top and bottom because of bow in them. I am going to weld a safety bead on mine when through.
Post pics

Beware, lots of trailer axles and springs have a small locating dowel that keeps the axle from rotating or the spring from moving side to side. Will the axle rotate so the pin still lines up with the hole?
The cheapo Harbor Freight axle is square-ish C channel with small bar-stock ends welded on, milled & threaded, etc. So, it won't rotate.

All in all, this seems simple and safe. I'll give it a try and unless I get ground interference - I think this will be fine. Fenders will not be an issue, and frame / axle interference should not be, either. I'm not even pulling 1/3 of the rated weight - so this is de-rated plenty.

Thanks to everyone for the courage to try this...

(looks like a couple posts here were deleted. Apologies if I over-reacted - guess the comment touched a nerve a bit with some glimmer of truth to it...)

Not sure what was deleted out of this thread

My post, mentioning LASIK surgery, and the OP’s response, mentioning the words, “piss off”. I didn’t think it was a big deal, I’ve been told worse! Just a difference of opinion, I wouldn’t buy anything at HF that either lifts my scoots in the air or tows them behind my truck. Pro-Cycle Droptail XLT and Kendon perform those functions for me. YMMV.

I own a HF trailer and have used it to carry my bike several times to Big Bend and Arkansas.
I think lowering it 2” probably would not make a difference loading the bike with a good ramp, but I also know people enjoy modifying / improving their stuff.

Attachments

• C0A90581-F1D5-48C7-B2D9-1363B350AFA4.jpeg
    C0A90581-F1D5-48C7-B2D9-1363B350AFA4.jpeg
    536.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 7A7C3F9C-03F9-4A6A-86D9-E067E6E5EB1A.jpeg
    7A7C3F9C-03F9-4A6A-86D9-E067E6E5EB1A.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 278
I like two metal ramps and wooden ramps along the side. I'm not going to ask about getting that Ural up that high...

I moved from the two (HF) metal ramps to a single foldable aluminum, that can carry on the ramp.

As far as the ural…. He had two long ramps and pulled the bike with a winch.

I like two metal ramps and wooden ramps along the side. I'm not going to ask about getting that Ural up that high...

My Kendon is a single, ‘09 model. It was not fun getting my top heavy, twitchy throttle FJR on or off. They redesigned the trailer around 2015, making the trailer flex downward more when loading/unloading, and removing the apex at the top of the ramp. The kit to replace the tail piece on my trailer was $600, and worth every penny. The new piece also had 3 ramps, instead of one, and it was square on the back, making it easy to just ride up.

If it’s in your budget, there are always used Kendons on the resale market.
28E93312-D5B8-4437-ADE7-FBF3A7A67876.jpeg
FFB3870D-0E15-44D1-9EEA-0A241919CDC8.jpeg
50F5E6AA-7864-4AD4-8CC2-C93CD304B481.jpeg

that's a much nicer piece of equipment...
Thanks. There is a story behind it that is almost unbelievable, but I lived it. Suffice to say, it’s the second Kendon I received, the first was finally exchanged by Kendon, who after trying and failing to figure out what made it shake between 60-65mph, cut it up for recycling.

That’s the 100,000 foot version of the story.

Last edited:
(looks like a couple posts here were deleted. Apologies if I over-reacted - guess the comment touched a nerve a bit with some glimmer of truth to it...)
No apology needed for your reply to someone comparing surgery to fixing a trailer. Nothing wrong with being frugal. Just think, the money you saved on this project can be used to put fuel in your vehicle the next time you fill up.

No apology needed for your reply to someone comparing surgery to fixing a trailer. Nothing wrong with being frugal. Just think, the money you saved on this project can be used to put fuel in your vehicle the next time you fill up.

Thanks, Karen.

A pure bike trailer is worthless to me. I use a 12 foot utility trailer with sides that way it is dual purpose like dual sport. I admire anyone that repurposes anything. Anyone can go buy the so called perfect trailer. Good job Jeff!

A pure bike trailer is worthless to me. I use a 12 foot utility trailer with sides that way it is dual purpose like dual sport. I admire anyone that repurposes anything. Anyone can go buy the so called perfect trailer. Good job Jeff!

And I don't want/need a 12 foot utility trailer sitting around. You know what is good? C-H-O-I-C-E-S.... :thumb:

My folding HF trailer has been the perfect compromise, even though it's kind of a pain to get it in and out of the back yard where I keep it when not in use.

But for a suburban hobbyist homeowner with an HOA and no pickup truck, it's near perfect. I can think of some ways it could be better, but for convenience, price, and utility, it has been legit.

I can easily carry two motorcycles or scooters on it, or brush, lumber, you name it. There are better tools for each one job this trailer does, but none I know of that's as good at all of them and as easily stored.

I'd take a 5x8 aluminum trailer that could be tilted on its side for portability and storage, but I'd have to custom build that. Until then, the <$500 investment in the HF trailer has been pretty perfect.

Back