• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lowside today

Pls keep Jeff Hansen in your prayers who had a lowside today outside of Leggett (Hwy 942).

Jeff is in hi viz & the pic was taken this morning where we meet in New Waverly.

539539c25da501b38b4204ae754cfdf0.jpg

The ambulance took him to Livingston & X-rays show a broken right arm. I believe he's being transported to The Woodlands closer to home. The bike is tweeked & probably is on its last leg.

36408d3f738187a4dfd42fcd00439fed.jpg

If y'all remember in May, a car came into his lane & he had no where to go but down. Before this he had been riding for 30 + yrs (I believe) w/o an accident. The injury today is on the opposite side. The full face helmet did its job as well as the gear.

Let's hope he gets home tonight.

Pls keep Jeff Hansen in your prayers who had a lowside today outside of Leggett (Hwy 942).

Jeff is in hi viz & the pic was taken this morning where we meet in New Waverly.

539539c25da501b38b4204ae754cfdf0.jpg

The ambulance took him to Livingston & X-rays show a broken right arm. I believe he's being transported to The Woodlands closer to home. The bike is tweeked & probably is on its last leg.

36408d3f738187a4dfd42fcd00439fed.jpg

If y'all remember in May, a car came into his lane & he had no where to go but down. Before this he had been riding for 30 + yrs (I believe) w/o an accident. The injury today is on the opposite side. The full face helmet did its job as well as the gear.Pra

Let's hope he gets home tonight.
prayers

Ouroboros

Forum Supporter
Jeff was quite the trooper today. Handled the situation quite well. ATGAT was a key component in limiting his injuries. May your recovery be speedy so we can finish the Colmesneil ride another day.

Last edited:
With the bike looking like that, I am so glad he was smart and had on all his gear. I will admit I don't wear my armored pants very often. Hope you heal quick Jeff.

TWTim

Forum Supporter
All the best for a full and speedy recovery, Jeff. I'm certainly glad it wasn't any worse. Crashing doth sucketh. Heal up and ride on.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
I'm telling you... There ARE easier ways to get a new bike!! :doh:

May your wife's patience be ever lasting. Heal fast!

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Jeff you were in good company today. About 18 "professionals" low sided in Malaysia about the same time.

Heal up there.

Good morning from Herman Memorial Woodlands. Waiting on the ortho surgeon. I've broken my humerus right at the joint. FUBAR. Gonna be here awhile I think. Thanks to everyone yesterday in helping me, my wife and daughter and getting my bike recovered to the house. More updates later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...

We are eternally for patient spouses, aren't we?
Get well, soon, chum. I'd like to join you for lunch again one of these days.

Man not again!:eek2: Quick and full healing prayers headed your way. That is so sad hope the Harley is going to be rebuildable. Seems like they just finished revamping it from the last incident. Glad your gear did its job.

I should be a walking advertisement for First Gear Jackets and Pants. And for HJC SY-Max III helmets.

sKatZ

Forum Supporter
I should be a walking advertisement for First Gear Jackets and Pants. And for HJC SY-Max III helmets.

I'm glad you are that advertisement but holy smokes - I hope that's the last time you have the opportunity to test gear quality! Rest, heal, roar back as soon as you are ready :sun:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Now comes the beating by all the non riding relatives and friends that it is time to give up riding :roll:

Been there, done that. The PT is also known as "Physical Terrorist". Find your pace and take deep breathes. Which was hard for me with broken ribs.
Try to do what they say and you'll be OK.
Prayers are with you.
Tom

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. I got a bonus visit tonight, The Friday Clan. Thanks for the visit.
Surgery tentatively set for 1245pm November 1. Wish me luck.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
:tab He was in good spirits last night, even though he was on the tail end of a pain med cycle ;-) He's got a REALLY nice room. I guess they are giving him the frequent visitor treatment :-P Other than the broken bones, he looks pretty good. There are small skinned spots on his knees where the armor likely rubbed and his finger tips are bruised. My experience has been that the finger tip bruising is a result of the grips being ripped out of your hands while you have an instinctive and reflexive death grip on them. Still not sure how the bike went down on the left side and his right arm is busted, but things get crazy once you and the bike are on the ground!

You can obviously post with the non broken arm, :clap: Can you give a run down of what happened?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
You can obviously post with the non broken arm, :clap: Can you give a run down of what happened?
He's right handed and it is the right arm that is broken. It is the left collar bone that is broken. It is also the left hand primarily that has the bruised fingers. He CAN post, but it is a slow process.

From what he told us, he low sided as the result of either too much front or back brake, but he is not 100% sure. Once you go down, things happen pretty fast!

No word yet on outcome of the surgery...

Lucydad

Forum Supporter
May post-surgery reveal complete success by Dr. Sawbones. Never heard of the finger tip bruises, but it make sense.

Heal up and ride again.

Kelly here: Jeff is out of surgery. Had a 3 hour post op. Respiratory concerns. Long recovery needed. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers!

Kelly text earlier saying it was a bad break & difficult surgery. Doc had extra work to get smaller pieces to net to bone. (I'm not sure what that means). He's put together with plates & screws.

I pray that he is not in too much pain & takes it easy. I'm not sure how long his hospital stay will be.

Hello from Herman Memorial. Still here. Right now the "plan" is to be discharged sometime tomorrow after 3pm. We'll see.

Here's picture of the bike after Tim and Tony and host of others got it off the road.
E0219624-88E3-4352-A9E4-33C9AEFA4106_zpszfex6cfr.jpg

Here's what's left of my jacket after the EMTs cut it off.

A7ACD01F-AF87-4828-9584-BB76B9AB1A57_zpsxowajqcs.jpg

I don't have a good helmet picture but it is an HJC Sy-Max 3. The chin bar once again stayed locked and in place.