• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LR2 - Watermarking?

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I'm running LR 2.2 and wanted to put a discreet watermark/copyright on each exported shot. How are 'yall doing that?

I'm trying to avoid importing into PS, adding a text box, flatten the layer, then save on each shot.

Thanks Rusty.... Me thinks I'll just pony up and get LR3 and be done with it.

Oh, the lens correction stuff in LR3 is awesome. Sometimes you want that slight fisheye look from a wide angle, but when you don't you just click a button and if it has yours lens profile (and it does for a lot of mainstream lenses) then presto! Image is flat.

The Noise Reduction in LR3 is awesome too.

If you do have to resort to Photoshop for watermarking (which I eventually just stopped doing - people still steal watermarked work w/o a second thought) you should definitely make an action to do it. Best thing I ever did when watermarking was part of my workflow.

Does the watermarking function in LR V3 automatically resize to the size of the exported image? ie: does the watermark scale if the size of the exported image changes?

And is the watermark in LR3 non-destructive to the original?

Everything is non-destructive to the original if you so choose it to be.

Oh and if you haven't bought LR3 just yet, you may want to wait because version 4 is just around the corner.

Bill,
But have you done watermarking as part of your workflow and does the watermark rescale based on export size?

I haven't messed with it yet as I feel that with my lack of current skill there aren't too many folks that want to steal my stuff....LOL

Bill,
But have you done watermarking as part of your workflow and does the watermark rescale based on export size?

Your thinking too hard on it Scott..

In LR3.6 & 4 Beta, just go to the "edit" watermarks and set up to your personal tastes...

Screen-Shot-2012-01-22-at-XL.png

Thanks guys.... Looks like I'll start scouring for pre V4 since I'm cheap of late. But based on what Duke presents, it looks like a proportional scaling watermark is possible based on export or image size.

I'm feeling really dumb at the moment. I set up a watermark and cannot figure out how to apply it to an image. I just downloaded Lightroom in Creative Cloud.
Jennifer

I'm feeling really dumb at the moment. I set up a watermark and cannot figure out how to apply it to an image. I just downloaded Lightroom in Creative Cloud.
Jennifer

Never mind ... just not being patient with my learning time :)

P2250193-M.jpg

Not sure I like this one, will keep playing.

Next question, what do you have your file size limited to when exporting?

Thanks!

Jennifer

I will export a full size image and restrict right click download as well as limit display size to XL with SmugMug. I will generally also only push up a 100 dpi image unless a client is looking for 300 dpi or that's what I want for a specific purpose.

I will export a full size image and restrict right click download as well as limit display size to XL with SmugMug. I will generally also only push up a 100 dpi image unless a client is looking for 300 dpi or that's what I want for a specific purpose.

That makes sense. I saw the option in Lightroom under the export settings and wondered.

I took my first round of RAW files over the last couple of weekends ... then had some issues with a download card for Lightroom, so just now getting to them :)

Nothing prevents you from uploading fullsize images to SM and then restricting size view/use from there, so no real need to "resize" on export. About the only time I use that function is when the receiver wants a specific edge length, or say Craigslist which only accepts a file "X" pixels on the long side.

Here's one to wrap your head around.... delete all your exported worked files from your HD once they are uploaded. You're keeping the source file in LR, so why keep the exported file too? You can always fire up LR and regenerate that file at a later date if needed, and you have it up on SM and accessible. Going that route saves space on your HD. In fact, why not push up a full-size 300dpi file and use SM as your backup? Keep your RAW file local (with a proper regular backup) and let SM be your repository.

Nothing prevents you from uploading fullsize images to SM and then restricting size view/use from there, so no real need to "resize" on export. About the only time I use that function is when the receiver wants a specific edge length, or say Craigslist which only accepts a file "X" pixels on the long side.

Here's one to wrap your head around.... delete all your exported worked files from your HD once they are uploaded. You're keeping the source file in LR, so why keep the exported file too? You can always fire up LR and regenerate that file at a later date if needed, and you have it up on SM and accessible. Going that route saves space on your HD. In fact, why not push up a full-size 300dpi file and use SM as your backup? Keep your RAW file local (with a proper regular backup) and let SM be your repository.

Thanks! I also took the time to cull my photos before importing rather than importing ones that weren't the quality I was looking for in the first place. So much easier to do in the preview in Lightroom than what I was using before. Set them to go to my external hard drive as I am using a Mac Air with limited hard drive space.

Back