• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lunar Eclipse Sunday night 2019.01.20

Tripod is by the door and ready. Shooting with the full frame camera and a 100-400mm. May use the 1.4x teleconverter.

got to move my camera from 68F to 24F by 1030 EST tonight. Putting it in a cooler with the lid loosely attached.

It's cold out, but the front also cleared the air so I can see more stars and planets tonight than usual. Should be a great show tonight.

I'm going to sleep, take some pictures for me!

Curious what exposure settings you guys plan to use?

almost straight overhead for me. getting a crick in my neck.

Posting poor pics before we see the good ones to show what real cameras can do. 50% eclipsed
20190120_221641.jpg

20190120_221627.jpg

Whole lot tougher than I thought. I don't think I got any good pics of it at peak. Hope somebody else had better luck/skill than me. Was almost directly overhead and 24F. I didn't have a good grasp on adjusting for the almost nill light, but it was still cool to see it.

lunar-eclipse-penumbra-umbra.jpg
the red color looks almost three-dimensional . Really neat with all the stars. Imagine how it looks from big bend tonight.

We have some light clouds that caused my images to be on the soft side. So I don't like any of them. Oh well, it happens and you can't control the weather.

Settings started at manual mode, f11, ISO 400, ss 1/250, if I remember correctly. Decreased the shutter speed as the evening went, then f-stop. Finally got to f5.6 and 1/15 ss. Had to start bumping ISO at that point. I'd take a shot every few minutes. So the first in a group were at the previous settings and usually underexposed, then I'd tweak settings and shoot a couple more. Then take a break.

We have some light clouds that caused my images to be on the soft side. So I don't like any of them. Oh well, it happens and you can't control the weather.

Settings started at manual mode, f11, ISO 400, ss 1/250, if I remember correctly. Decreased the shutter speed as the evening went, then f-stop. Finally got to f5.6 and 1/15 ss. Had to start bumping ISO at that point. I'd take a shot every few minutes. So the first in a group were at the previous settings and usually underexposed, then I'd tweak settings and shoot a couple more. Then take a break.

Aaaack, I knew I was forgetting something. I forgot to shift the ISO. Dang it.
DSC_0020.JPG

Theirs that man in the moon shot we were waiting for :clap:

I was reading about the "locked orbit" of the moon last week with the Chinese "dark side" probe landing. Interesting stuff.

Slight haze at the casa last night so I didn't even try... I must be getting old and grouchy. But like Rusty said - you can't control the weather. I'll chalk this one up to Weather 1 - Photographer 0

Mine came out decent up through about 2/3 coverage. I forgot about motion blur from movement of the moon, so once I needed more light, I dropped the shutter speed instead of raising the ISO :doh: I did not realize it at first and just thought it was from the haze that had moved in about the same time. Later I was looking at the pics up close and noticed a few stars were short streaks instead of points of light :argh: Oh well... next time...

Mine came out decent up through about 2/3 coverage. I forgot about motion blur from movement of the moon, so once I needed more light, I dropped the shutter speed instead of raising the ISO :doh: I did not realize it at first and just thought it was from the haze that had moved in about the same time. Later I was looking at the pics up close and noticed a few stars were short streaks instead of points of light :argh: Oh well... next time...
you and me both.

Yeah, fast shutter speeds are a must with this stuff as it's all moving albeit slowly, it's still moving.

Yeah, fast shutter speeds are a must with this stuff as it's all moving albeit slowly, it's still moving.

So how do people get those cool Milky Way shots? Just crank the ISO through the roof and go wide open on the aperture?

Back