• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M38A1 / 2016 Pic-A-Day

Now - off into the night to see what I can drum up for the 13th of December. :photo:

Buy us a beer? A BIG beer? lol....

I always find the posts of folks who follow us fun to see. I wish there were more and deep down, I really don't think my body of work is all that interesting which probably explains the lack of commentary. Like we all discussed months ago, is this a 'project', or a 'diary'. I dunno.... Project of creating a diary of my life for the last year? Yet I do appreciate the comments. Kind of keeps me going to shoot the next day.

So here it is, 9pm and guess what? I need to go take a stupid picture for today. :giveup: That's becoming my mantra now.

I lurk, but have no comment from a photography standpoint. I do wonder what most of them look like straight out of the camera. I find the images interesting and feel like I learned something about you from this project. Same goes for Woodbutcher's project. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the kind words. If folks are learning, thats a good thing in my book. I know I have learned a LOT this past year in how to shoot a variety of subject content. As for post processing, toss out a dated image and I'll post the before/after along with what was done. No secrets here... well 'cept maybe the levitation shots. :deal:

Tonights shot is in the bag. Just need to get home and see what I captured and get it posted.

12/13/2016
I've always liked the Capitol this time of year...
i-vMGhZRV-XL.jpg

Love the night Capitol shot.

What are your thoughts on sticking to 4:3 crops. I have to remind myself when shooting a family to stick to 4:3 or square, so if they print an image, they'll at least be close to getting what they see on the print itself.

On a related crop note, for landscapes, I'd love to have a big, high quality injet photo printer that used roll photo paper for panoramas.

Love the night Capitol shot.

What are your thoughts on sticking to 4:3 crops. I have to remind myself when shooting a family to stick to 4:3 or square, so if they print an image, they'll at least be close to getting what they see on the print itself.

On a related crop note, for landscapes, I'd love to have a big, high quality injet photo printer that used roll photo paper for panoramas.

Thanks... This year was easy as there is construction at that intersection and they had the center lane blocked off with a barrier. LOTS of people there in that 'safe place' with tripods.

Crops? For me it depends on the 'customer'. If I shoot a trail run or sporting event, I like to leave at LEAST a head above and below their head and feet while in a 2x3 format (think 4x6 prints). This allows them to print 4x6's (the most common) AND allows them to change the aspect ratio to an 8x10 where all it does is bring the sides in. If I shoot anything different, people have a hard time adjusting my digital image to the format they want. the 2x3 just seems to work well.

If I'm shooting for myself, I try to stick to standard size crops contained in LR. I very rarely do a 'custom' crop size - and that's only when I have a crap image with crap surrounding the subject content I need carved out. That's just bad planning on my part. I use a 1x4 format for some stuff - like the recent pink sunrise shot a few days back (Saturday Dec 10). Square is square so if it works for the shot, I'll use it and there's now worry or fuss over printing.

Re: the roll printer, start a thread! Rusty attended the Precision Camera Canon Printer event last week. His 17x22 freebie was incredible. I'm sure he can provide some more feedback on what he learned.

Scott,

:tab I don't think you give yourself enough credit for the quality of your work. Subject matter is important, but alone that is not enough. Your growth in control of exposure, DOF, lighting, and pretty much everything has been evident in the last few years, but has really been highlighted in this thread. Often times it has even been the shots with the not so spectacular subject that have had the technical stuff nailed down. So in that sense, I think this project has been great for you as a photographer. Look how much actual paid work you do now compared to a few years ago. Look at the breadth of the types of photography you have been doing. I am genuinely impressed at how you have stayed with it, stayed mostly enthusiastic with it, and have grown with it. All that alone is a huge accomplishment regardless of what you might think about any particular images in comparison to other people's work.

Thanks Jennifer!

What do you mean by "out of your range"? ISO? Tripod? Noise? Access?

Yes!

:) Practice, ISO, tripod ... and unfortunately limited time right now due to a very busy work schedule.

Love watching what you post and learning from you.

Scott,

:tab I don't think you give yourself enough credit for the quality of your work. Subject matter is important, but alone that is not enough. Your growth in control of exposure, DOF, lighting, and pretty much everything has been evident in the last few years, but has really been highlighted in this thread. Often times it has even been the shots with the not so spectacular subject that have had the technical stuff nailed down. So in that sense, I think this project has been great for you as a photographer. Look how much actual paid work you do now compared to a few years ago. Look at the breadth of the types of photography you have been doing. I am genuinely impressed at how you have stayed with it, stayed mostly enthusiastic with it, and have grown with it. All that alone is a huge accomplishment regardless of what you might think about any particular images in comparison to other people's work.
What HE said.

Scott,

Love watching what you post and learning from you.

What HE said.

Thanks folks.... Means a lot to me that you can see growth over this year.

12/15/2016
That big old moon decided to play this evening with the Zilker Park tree.
i-jGNp53b-XL.jpg

Now that is a plan that came to fruition. You should prosper from that one. The alignment is perfect. Austin through the Moonlight Tree.

Last edited:
might be the only time I'd Photochop an image and remove a section of black between the moon and the skyline. It is an amazing shot.

Any thoughts on making a video of sorts using all the pictures set to music? (Like you need another project)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any thoughts on making a video of sorts using all the pictures set to music? (Like you need another project)

Oh... I like this idea! :thumb:

12/17/2016
The blind leading the guide?
This is my friend Danny (the Superman/bicycle portrait guy) who leads VI (visually impaired) athletes at all distances for triathlon, running, swimming and cycling events. Chaz Davis is the VI athlete and a friend of Danny's. Chaz just ran the CIM marathon in a 2:31 - yeah, that's fast. So fast he's the US record holder for VI runners at that distance. He can only see block shapes and limited movement about three feet in front of him. Taken at the Flotrack Beer Mile World Championships today, I was shooting for the U.S. Association of Blind Athletes to cover them. Danny got smoked by Chaz and dropped. Chaz went on to finish solo with a mile time of 6:33. That's drink a 12oz beer, run a quarter mile and repeat three more times. Puke and you get a DQ. And yes - he had the fastest time of all four OPEN heats today.
i-58fMjCv-XL.jpg

That's been rolling around in my head or a mosaic of some type with all the images that create a larger image. :ponder:

Back