• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M38A1 / 2016 Pic-A-Day

lol - actually..... your hair would be amazing against the black, and the shot I envision with you would be a B&W conversion, short lit and have a certain gritty edge to it.

Like the Santa......is he on lookout?

12/28/2016
i-tSxdzRw-XL.jpg

Clean and sharp. Very nice!

Was the -1.87EV because there is so much dark area?

Clean and sharp. Very nice!

Was the -1.87EV because there is so much dark area?

Thank you!

I don't know which is more interesting.... The fact that you look at the EXIF information or the fact that you ask about said EXIF information. :-P

Normally I don't run in any mode other than Manual. For this shot I ran Aperture Priority as I wanted to see how the algorithms handled the neon colors on the .jpg rendition (which is where I was headed in my head with the shot). As I was shooting, there was quite a bit of contrast between the brights and the darks, ie: the bright metal of the skin and the white neon was kind of blowing itself out and there wouldn't be much data to work with in the end during post. (I'd rather underexpose than overexpose as underexposing provides the data in RAW format to work with and overexposed there is no data) So I simply started dialing in -EV as I shot and the image began to come to me. The -1.87 (not sure how it picked 1.87 as I dialed in 1.66 in 1/3 stop increments) is where the .jpg looked the best. As an aside, there was a bright streetlamp just behind me as well as in front of the building camera right a bit. The EV comp adjustment killed off that super bright just enough to darken the rest of the overall bright spots.

When I got home and started playing with it, I wound up on the RAW side of the house for a B&W conversion for a couple reasons. First was I liked the contrast tonal range which suits itself to B&W very well. Second, I thought an old looking diner could go B&W just as easy as color. When I narrowed it down to a B&W or color final version, I compared them side by side and the B&W won out as the colors of the neon weren't as vivid as some of my other night neon shots.

And now you know! Thx for asking.

Love the diner and the LinkedIn head shot!

I appreciate all you have shared through the Pic-A-Day, both inspiring images as well as disucssion of how you shot them.

Reference post #982......You went to Hogwarts....because it's all magic to me. I've enjoyed all the pictures! Oh yeah, can I have my soul back? You know which picture I speak of....[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reference post #982......You went to Hogwarts....because it's all magic to me. I've enjoyed all the pictures! Oh yeah, can I have my soul back? You know which picture I speak of....[emoji41]

Magic? Naw... I just push the buttons and stuff happens. :-)

That poolside SOUL picture is one of my favorites this year as well. Thanks.

Now I need to find that pool side photo. [emoji15]

Many observe, enjoy, and do not comment. I'm one of the anonymous ones.
:giveup: Here! Here! Me too....even thought I've not been on the forum in ages! Your work is amazing, c'mon....look what you did with me??? Don't doubt yourself, your photography is phenomenal. Happy new year Scott!

:giveup: Here! Here! Me too....even thought I've not been on the forum in ages! Your work is amazing, c'mon....look what you did with me??? Don't doubt yourself, your photography is phenomenal. Happy new year Scott!

Well Thank-You, Joanne! We need to get together in the new year. :chug:

...and yeah - your portrait session has a few favorites. :deal:

That is a long long term keeper...

Thanks, Scott.

Dad will be 92 in March - so doing a shot like this has been l-o-n-g overdue in spite of him being in good shape for his age.

I set this up on the fly, got Mom and Dad to come to the house and started them out with a glass of wine each. Then we dove into the studio and had some fun. Got some great shots of just Dad, some of Mom and a few as a couple. An hour later we were done.

I love the picture of your dad and overall ALL night shots!
Congratulations on finishing the challenge specially with such great shots.
Would love to see all the picture a day I one link.

FELIZ AÑO!

12/30/2016
A little Lara Croft / Tomb Raider for inspiration on this one. And yes - we were both fully aware of the trigger disipline for this capture having checked/cleared each weapon twice. :deal:
i-4xqNjM4-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I can hardly wait. Even if its a dud, the hundreds of other pictures will carry you and Rusty into a great new year with a major endeavor completed extremely well. Not many folks could have done this.

I can hardly wait. Even if its a dud, the hundreds of other pictures will carry you and Rusty into a great new year with a major endeavor completed extremely well. Not many folks could have done this.

Thank you, Dennis.

Back