• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M38A1 / 2016 Pic-A-Day

12/31/2016
"That's a wrap"
I can now safely say my 2016 Project366 was 100% successfully completed. I hit 366 of 366 days for capture/creation of an image. Some good, some not so good. For sure a grand learning experiment. Thank you everyone who took the time to follow along, provide input and keep me going. This was not easy.

I also tip my hat to Rusty for without our continued banter back and forth about this effort, I'm not sure I would have completed the task. With that, here's my final shot for this project - a selfie of sorts to commemorate the task.
i-ncBTdVN-XL.jpg

Edit to add:
So Rusty did a "Two-fer" on his last shot as he lined up two different events to shoot. Well, so did I. Here's my 'runner-up' shot - some of our own home grown fireworks to ring in the New Year.
i-CfkX3wv-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Quite an achievement Scott. I can't imagine the where-with-all it took to complete this body of work.

Great job Scott!! :clap: :trust:

I'm proud of you Scott, have a blessed 2017.

Fantastic job guys!

:clap: Wow, just wow. The year; the finish. :bow:

Superb job, enjoyed every shot. :clap:

Quite an achievement Scott. I can't imagine the where-with-all it took to complete this body of work.

Yup.....lots of stick-to-it demonstrated by Scott and Rusty!!:clap: :sun:

Most excellent finish! Love the "selfie" and fireworks!!

Thank you all for the kind words.....

I'm going to pick out my three favorite shots and give a little back-story on the 'why and how'. I'll work on those shortly.

With that in mind, I'd also like to know - what are YOUR favorite three shots and why. I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on shots and why. I'll also fill you in on the 'scoop' of those shots as well.

My favorites are the neon signs and black & white photos.

What makes them stand out to you? Is it the contrast in colors/shades? The content? Composition? Something you don't see all the time?

I went through them ALL last night, then saw your finale just now. Heck, I couldn't pick out 3. The range of subjects, level of composition, and variety of treatments exhibit your innate professional attitude about everything you take on. It's a level most never attain.
GREAT body of work.

What makes them stand out to you? Is it the contrast in colors/shades? The content? Composition? Something you don't see all the time?

I'm fascinated by the contrast on both. Your composition and lighting are always worth studying and taking notes. On the neon signs, the camera settings always amaze me. Such low ISO and high shutter speeds remind me more of daylight shots. The black & white force you to pay attention to the lighting. It almost eliminates everything else.

Thanks, Kurt.

The neon signs typically tend to overexpose/blow out the highlights, so what I do is underexpose the shot a tad bit. That gets the highlights in check while making the other colors more true as well remove their 'halo' which is emitted. ie: gives them more of a defined edge. And underexposing a tad just makes those blacks black, which again makes the colors really stand out. That low ISO/fast shutter speed is because the bright neons are just that - BRIGHT. It's a balance act and I just shoot a range of exposures to cover my bases.

As for the B&W shots, I just look at it and see if there's a good tonal range in there. Do I have black blacks to white whites, and if so I'll just hit the B&W conversion button in LR to get a quick idea. Or even as early as shooting it doing the same in the camera menu on a shot. Sometimes I just look at it and ask "does it have that old time feel where B&W would do well".

Well thank you, Kory! Glad you enjoyed a year through my eyes. I now have a MUCH greater appreciation for what you did with the kiddos......

Well thank you, Kory! Glad you enjoyed a year through my eyes. I now have a MUCH greater appreciation for what you did with the kiddos......

Like you said, at the end of the day, my subject(s) were always right there. Trying to come up with something different and creative every day, like you guys did, is a bigger challenge. I did have the same feelings that you and Rusty did the day after though. It may have been a week before I picked up my camera. I really didn't shoot all that much in 2016. I'd like to be a bit more active this year, but nothing crazy. :mrgreen:

Back