• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mac & Ernie's Roadside Eatery - Tarpley, TX

Reaction score
What: Mac & Ernie's Roadside Eatery is a popular lunch and dinner stop for Hill Country riders.

I haven't had the pleasure of getting dinner from this place, but I'm sure folks will be along shortly with a rave review or two. Their lunch menu is small, but I can vouch for the pretty tasty fried catfish plate. 8-)

evening_at_macandernies.jpg

Typical fare, dinner on left, lunch on right:
41085276-M.jpg

Seating is available, in this tent, or in another set of picnic tables.
41085268-M.jpg

Naylene, owner and chef, proving it's the cook, not the tools, that makes the food great. :dude:
41085278-M.jpg

Steve, Naylene's husband, co-owner, and equally as friendly as his better half:
41085280-M.jpg

Where:
Mac and Ernie's Roadside Eatery
Williams' Creek Depot - FM 470
Tarpley, Texas 78883

Phone: 830-562-3250

Directions:
From their website:
map.gif

Note that if you're coming from the east (i.e., from 16/Bandera/Medina), the restaurant is a bit hidden by trees. The entrance is immediately after the bridge in Tarpley.

Additional Comments:

What's particularly amazing is how this good food comes from such a small building. :hail:

41085260-M-1.jpg

41085265-M.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mac & Ernie's Roadside Eatery, Tarpley, TX

I can testify! We ate there during the Spring Hill Country Rally, and even my wife, who deals with internationally famous chefs through Central Market, thought it was "fabulous".

:tab Get there early, 5:30pm or so, cause it starts getting crowded soon after that and the desserts sell out fast! Dinner is only sold Friday and Saturday I think. I have about half the items on the menu and they were all incredible and I am a PICKY eater. Her sauces really give the meal a special taste! Drinks can be had at the General store next door. The best seating is under the HUGE Oak between the shack and the store. I was really looking forward to heading out there during this year's Fall Rally, but that had to be cancelled for lack of interest :shrug: It's worth a ride out just for the meal.

I reaaaly love the food here. Everyone that I tell about this place is amazed at the "country gourmet" that can come out of a roadside shack that isn't even as big as a 1-car garage!

Glad to see this fine establishment already listed. I was treated to an outstanding cheeseburger from here this weekend. Naylene took excellent care of us despite the rising floodwaters (in fact because of the rising floodwaters, as I had no idea this place was even there until forced to stop in by aforementioned flooding). I'll definitely make a point of stopping in again when I'm in that area.

I've been told that their Cabrito burger is really good. Has anyone tried it?

Big burger, spicey, not bad. Definately a meal for $7.

They serve only food, no drinks. You get your drinks from the convenience store next door.

One of these days I am going for dinner and get some of those chicken fried lamb chops.

Wow, looks like an old thread has popped out of the woodworks, like some kind of digital zombie. Advertising food. Mmm, brains.

I'd be up for a group ride out to there, or a meet-and-eat, if the place is still in business (after I'm able to start riding again, like in March).

My Wife and I had been wanting to eat there for several years. We made it happen Saturday April 4th. I had the Lamb Chops and the Wife had the Ma-hi Ma-hi. Both were great! We shared a piece of the Chocolate pie. Yummy!
We rode out from Junction. We enjoyed 335 and 337 on the way out. 470 was good too!

It was a great Day!:rider::eat::rider::eat::rider::eat::yawn:

Had lunch there on Saturday.:eat:
Always make a trip to eat here when I am in the hill country

I've been told that their Cabrito burger is really good. Has anyone tried it?

Yes. It's quite excellent. I took my 14 y.o. son who could pass for a vegetarian so we split the burger and a catfish plate. He said "next time he wants his own"!

I stop by Mac & Ernies every time I make my off-road ride from SA. Its great food and the Cabrito Burger is excellent. Andrew Zimmern from the Travel Channel "Bizzare Foods" even made a stop there.

They have remodeled the place and it is set to reopen on March 19, 2010. Double check their web site (in the first posting) before visiting to ensure they got everything done.

Looks like they moved to the old Iron Horse.

Looks like they moved to the old Iron Horse.

Don't know 'cause I've never been there. Was planning to go this Sunday, but I won't since they won't be open. According to the web site, they've added on to the back of their old building.

I just hope they didn't ruin the charm and food quality by doing this. Part of the appeal is getting some great food from basically a shack on the side of the road and eating it alfresco in the Great Texas outdoors.

According to the web site, they've added on to the back of their old building.

I just hope they didn't ruin the charm and food quality by doing this. Part of the appeal is getting some great food from basically a shack on the side of the road and eating it alfresco in the Great Texas outdoors.

Looks more like they added their shack to the front of another building. If they are at the old Iron Horse, it will still be cool. Lots of nice oaks to sit under.

Looks more like they added their shack to the front of another building. If they are at the old Iron Horse, it will still be cool. Lots of nice oaks to sit under.

Would have been cheaper/quicker to move the shack and stick it on the front of another building than to add-on behind it. :eat:

Back