• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Macro experiments

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Tourmeisters recent postings with the macro got me thinking I ought to give that a try again. So today I mounted the 105mm f/2.8 on the D500 (crop body) and poked around the yard.

This one I didn't even see the little fellow walking up the stalk until I was in post and culling. The overall shot is of a green pepper seed start that isn't but 5/8" tall. The little guy was invisible at first glance. He couldn't have been 3/16" long himself. Sun was to my favor on this one, lens set to manual focus and I steadied myself moving in and out until I thought the image in the viewfinder was clear and shot.
i-vk6n6QK-X3.jpg

This one took a little more nerve. The closer I got the more agitated they both became. To the point I was thinking "is this a good or bad idea"? I gave thought to wrapping my camera strap around my neck just in case I got tagged and couldn't drop the camera. I didn't get as close as minimum focus distance 'cause it's just a picture, right?
i-BSFr2c9-X3.jpg

I'll go play tomorrow and see what else I can come up with. I certainly understand the complexity of shooting this style and tossing in a flash? Yeah, um, no.

Last edited:
Careful with bugs and flowers !!
I like your night and action photos.
:)

Thanks Camilo. I have a few ideas penciled in that should make you smile.

The crop body gives you a little more distance, but moving in slowly and back out slowly is important. i had that nest by the garage and they got used to me coming and going and were pretty calm after a week or two.

Good stuff.

The comment of "good idea or bad idea" reminded me of the cartoon Animaniacs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dJOIf4mdus"]Animaniacs - Good Idea Bad Idea COMPLETE COLLECTION.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Nice pics too.

Back