• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Does anyone know if this academy has any classes scheduled for 2019 in the DFW area? Im new to dual sport riding and would like to get educated on proper tire changing. Thanks!

Ok thanks for the clarification. I understood that maybe there were people located throughout the state that hosted clinics.
It's worth a ride to SAT to learn and meet the legend.

I changed a tire this week at home and... got through it but could use a refresher. Rim locks are awesome...not.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I understood that maybe there were people located throughout the state that hosted clinics.

My offer still stands.

I just received a new set of tires that I need to mount.

Come practice on mine ...

I know this has been a long dormant thread, that said, if there's anyone out there needing tire skills refresher practice (especially now that the weather is cooler), send me a PM and we'll set something up.

Lots of excellent tire changing videos on Youtube. Google is your friend. Rocky Mtn ATV has tons of great DIY videos on everything. No excuses!

+1 for what texaspatrick says above. Game for a fall/winter practice session. If most of the interested parties are Austin-based we can even hold it at my place.

So I put some Shinko 700s on the KTM last weekend. Was my first time changing a motorcycle tire. I was nervous at first, but got into it and it wasn't too bad. Used 3 tires irons, soapy water and a hand pump with guage.

So I put some Shinko 700s on the KTM last weekend. Was my first time changing a motorcycle tire. I was nervous at first, but got into it and it wasn't too bad. Used 3 tires irons, soapy water and a hand pump with guage.

Congrats. I once used soap, but Trice sold me on windex. Both will do the same job, but windex is not as messy and dries faster.

I've tried soap, and windex, and had problems with both. Then this thread introduced me to tire lube, and it made tire mounting easier than all other options! I'll never go back!

I bought a lifetime supply (8 lbs.) of Camel brand for around $28 on Amazon. I carry a prescription bottle full with my tire tools on the bike.

I've tried soap, and windex, and had problems with both. Then this thread introduced me to tire lube, and it made tire mounting easier than all other options! I'll never go back!

I bought a lifetime supply (8 lbs.) of Camel brand for around $28 on Amazon. I carry a prescription bottle full with my tire tools on the bike.

Never tried tire lube but I suspect what's easier to carry with you while ADV riding is best too...so using a prescription bottle doesn't leak the lube?

I like to carry a tiny travel size bottle of baby powder too, besides for the tube and inside of tire, it has obvious other uses lol while riding, just dont make the mistake I almost made of carrying some cocaine looking white baby powder in a ziploc while in Mexico.

Bob...these potential gatherings is when I wish I lived closer...

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread here...Is the Mad Scientist Tire Academy still in operation?

Reactions: JMZ
Back