• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

LOL! Rolling J knows my "hey I got another flat" stance all too well. That is me hiding behind that WRX front tire. I was trying to follow a couple of faster riders on bigger bikes last year on the inaugural Desert Challenge. Came ripping down the trail in 5th gear and slammed across a bunch of baby heads sticking up. I hit one so hard the whole wheel made a loud resonating ping, and launched my front end. I remained on the throttle undaunted, but then about 500 yards later... Oh boy, that little 17" motard front tire was the toughest I have ever seen, were it not for a group of the old guard riders who willingly got involved with all the custom made extra long and strong tire tools, I would have had to concede defeat. That pic was taken early on in the bout. It ended as a large Texas tag team match against one extra ornery front tire.
Thanks to all who helped me prevail that day. That finishers plaque on my wall is there because you stopped to lend a hand. PS For this year I put in the extra heavy duty tubes! But knowing my prowess at flatting out, it could still happen again.

Great tire story! I highlighted some key parts :clap:

Looking For More Mad Scientists!

Looking for "adjunct instructors" in Houston, Austin, McAllen, other places.

I asked M38A1 to remove the "San Antonio" part off of the thread title because I would like to expand the number of mentors offering to assist other riders in becoming confident in tire and tube maintenance.

You can be "THAT GUY" in a good sense! :lol2:

Volunteer to be a mentor/instructor in your area (could even use more here in San Antonio).

Be a part of the twtex.com Mad Scientist Tire Academy by volunteering to teach others what you know about tire maintenance.

Doesn't always have to be at your home - take your instructive skills on the road during group rides. Have a session before or after the ride.

If you volunteer to be a mentor, I'll put your screen name on the upcoming map in your general geographic location in Texas (or elsewhere).

You riders with a lot of tire changing experience, flat tire fixing experience, guys that have put together a good kit for the trail, can help newer riders or riders who just want to be more confident that they can learn to be very self sufficient on the trail if they get a flat - step to the plate and be a Mad Scientist in the Academy. :thumb:

Looking for more photos of flat fixing on the ride - both on and off road

Got those pics - post them up here in the thread :deal:

i-DRZccKS-L.jpg

LOL! Rolling J knows my "hey I got another flat" stance all too well. That is me hiding behind that WRX front tire. I was trying to follow a couple of faster riders on bigger bikes last year on the inaugural Desert Challenge. Came ripping down the trail in 5th gear and slammed across a bunch of baby heads sticking up. I hit one so hard the whole wheel made a loud resonating ping, and launched my front end. I remained on the throttle undaunted, but then about 500 yards later... Oh boy, that little 17" motard front tire was the toughest I have ever seen, were it not for a group of the old guard riders who willingly got involved with all the custom made extra long and strong tire tools, I would have had to concede defeat. That pic was taken early on in the bout. It ended as a large Texas tag team match against one extra ornery front tire.
Thanks to all who helped me prevail that day. That finishers plaque on my wall is there because you stopped to lend a hand. PS For this year I put in the extra heavy duty tubes! But knowing my prowess at flatting out, it could still happen again.

Thanks again Donnie for the story :clap:

I need the instruction/practice but work is going get in they way this weekend. Shame. Thanks for stepping up and mentoring skills like this.
I get one Saturday a month off so I will have to try and catch one at a later date. And hopefully a new rear tire to learn with by then too.

Rule #1 of trailside tire changing....don't sit in the cactus. :mrgreen:

Here's some tire fixin' pics.

Last years ET500 didn't last too long for most folks, but for Kevin, Doug and me we were closing in on the finish when Doug picked up a tent stake sized nail in his rear tire. This gave me a chance to test my jack stand. Between a spare tube and the shampoo that Kevin snagged at the hotel we managed to get back on the road pretty quickly.

KTMFlat_zps08f9c4d5.jpg

Year before last ThrasherG, Rman and I spent a few sun filled days chasing around Southern California. Anybody who thinks they are ready is not. If they know they just thought they were ready the last time, there may be a chance. We were headed back to Ridgecrest from Vegas via the slab to grab ThrasherG's phone out of the desert. (A long story.) Just short of Death Valley this happened:

DSCN2353_zps3d4a0638.jpg

Gary carried an electric pump.
DSCN2355_zps9383fd4c.jpg

If someone gets lost during LAB2V all they have to do was climb to the top of a ridge and look for a group of guys fixing flats. Run heavy duty tubes and enough air.

I spent 44 minutes this morning changing the MT21 on the back of the Challenge. Not too much cussing and used my kit with the exception of my compressor and window cleaner. No hurry...

I need the instruction/practice but work is going get in they way this weekend. Shame. Thanks for stepping up and mentoring skills like this.
I get one Saturday a month off so I will have to try and catch one at a later date. And hopefully a new rear tire to learn with by then too.

Let me know.

I might also be able to be talked to coming over to Boerne to assist at your place. Depends upon location of BBQ joints in the area. :lol2:

Here's some tire fixin' pics.

Last years ET500 didn't last too long for most folks, but for Kevin, Doug and me we were closing in on the finish when Doug picked up a tent stake sized nail in his rear tire. This gave me a chance to test my jack stand. Between a spare tube and the shampoo that Kevin snagged at the hotel we managed to get back on the road pretty quickly.

KTMFlat_zps08f9c4d5.jpg

Year before last ThrasherG, Rman and I spent a few sun filled days chasing around Southern California. Anybody who thinks they are ready is not. If they know they just thought they were ready the last time, there may be a chance. We were headed back to Ridgecrest from Vegas via the slab to grab ThrasherG's phone out of the desert. (A long story.) Just short of Death Valley this happened:

DSCN2353_zps3d4a0638.jpg

Gary carried an electric pump.
DSCN2355_zps9383fd4c.jpg

If someone gets lost during LAB2V all they have to do was climb to the top of a ridge and look for a group of guys fixing flats. Run heavy duty tubes and enough air.

I spent 44 minutes this morning changing the MT21 on the back of the Challenge. Not too much cussing and used my kit with the exception of my compressor and window cleaner. No hurry...

Muy excellente - with your permission these will be added to the new Flat Gallery going at the front of the thread :rider:

i-DRZccKS-L.jpg

I need to give photographer credit and would like to know the story behind this scene, who is in the photo, etc. Any details on the repair would be helpful to others. From the site photo gallery.

To the readers: if this happened to YOU, would YOU be ready?

:tab The assistant is Chuck "CeeBee".

i-TrTcssJ-L.jpg

I need to give photographer credit and would like to know the story behind this scene, who is in the photo, etc. Any details on the repair would be helpful to others. From the site photo gallery.

To the readers: if this happened to YOU, would YOU be ready?

:tab I took that pic coming down off of Imogene Pass in Colorado in 2010. I think it was Stan's KTM that had the flat. My KLR was the "pumping station". We were riding through one of the MANY abandoned mines in that area. It was the second flat of the day. Left to right, _RG_, Stan, Rsquared, and Desmo.

:tab So if you guys are going to be doing this like you are out riding, are you gonna scatter dirt and rocks all over the garage floor? :-P I carry a small 4' X 4' vinyl table cloth to use as a clean work space. Got that idea from Richard "Trail Boss".

:tab Here are a few more fun shots for you... ;-)

Rsquared changing the rear on his KTM 990 in Cloudcroft, Slime EVERYWHERE!! :eek2:
IMG_7976.jpg

We had trouble getting the bead to seat on the tire. Had we not had my electric pump, we could have been in trouble. We had to deflate and reinflate a few times to get it to work. CO2 cartridges would have been exhausted. Even with the pump, he finally had to just ride about a mile real slow before the bead finally popped into place on each side. The slime was an ungodly mess and made the whole process miserable. YMMV.

GHT, Beemin and _RG_, fixing a flat going up Imogene
Col2010-0157.jpg

The KLR "pumping station" in action on the downside of Imogene
Col2010-0210.jpg

Another nail in Montana last Sept, Rsquared jumps in to help again! Left to right, Rsquared, Keith (his XR650R) and Stovey (ride organizer)
IMG_8900.jpg

Use whatever you can find to prop up the bike...
IMG_8902.jpg

Same tire flat again later in the day... Ulybrad serving as a deadweight...
IMG_8963.jpg

And Rsquared is in there again!
IMG_8965.jpg

And... third time is a charm!
IMG_8982.jpg

Finally found the problem... a missed nail from the first flat early in the day
IMG_8984.jpg

Keith went through a spare rear tube, spare front tube, and even tried the BIG zip tie thing to keep the tire on the rim. ALL failed. Once we got the second nail out, I gave him my spare rear tube and we were good to go. So there is a risk if you don't completely remove the tire/rube and inspect the inside of the tire for more punctures.

Let me know.

I might also be able to be talked to coming over to Boerne to assist at your place. Depends upon location of BBQ joints in the area. :lol2:

That's a very generous and appreciated offer. Just this evening I received a set of SW Motech crash bars I ordered almost a month ago. I now have a list of parts that are waiting to be installed and I'm getting ever more impatient.

Boerne has three or four great BBQ places, but this place is hands down the best I've had...
http://kleinsmokehaus.com/

Please. I'd also be available if someone wants a second pair of eyes when I'm in SW Houston or La Grange. Can't say I'm always around, but when I am I'm willing to help. Give me a shout.

Thanks man, I'll add you to the regional list soon to be added to the front of the thread :clap:

So if you guys are going to be doing this like you are out riding, are you gonna scatter dirt and rocks all over the garage floor? :-P I carry a small 4' X 4' vinyl table cloth to use as a clean work space. Got that idea from Richard "Trail Boss".

Thanks man, I'll integrate the pics into the gallery at the front of the thread.

Muchisimas gracias for the platform to help our amigitos to keep the rubber side down on the trail......

RG seems to think I am pretty good at changing a flat. The following is from page 3 of "Uncles Around the Bend 2012".

Seems the day was going to be a mechanical challenge all the way through. First flat is a pinch. Not enough that everything out here pokes holes...even the rocks get to play. Sam can change a flat front almost quicker than I can get the camera and figure out how to turn it on. Lets see if Mr Whistlebritches tire expert on youtube can make it look this easy without all his big fancy tools and windex...out in the Chihuahuan desert. Hmmm..?"

I felt pretty good when Vinny told me last weekend that he changed his own tire and was suprised when he got done that "it didn't take that long". Vinny used to have a shop do it or come out here and we would tag team it. May not be my teaching, he's getting to be a pretty fast rider also, he didn't get that from me. :trust:

I have no fancy ways. I learned from a bunch of old TSCEC enduro riders, you either could do it in a minimal amount of time, or you rode all the way home from the race listening to "my sister changes tires faster than you", or "maybe you should have let that old lady at the gas stop change it for you". Humiliation is a great motivator.

Tricepilot, I would be willing to give a school, if we could find two or three people in this area who wanted to get better. I do have a great kit that I carry with me on rides.

Sam

Hey Meriden what a great universal jack stand. I REALLY need to get myself rigged up with one of those. Seems I have more than my share of recurring need when I ride. When I see you, I will have to get the full rundown on scaring one of those up for myself.
If there are going to be any tire changer workshops coming up... I will attend if able.
My field changing skills currently remain pretty far behind my flat making abilities. However since practice makes perfect, I should become a veritable expert in due time. :-P

Hey Meriden what a great universal jack stand. I REALLY need to get myself rigged up with one of those. Seems I have more than my share of recurring need when I ride. When I see you, I will have to get the full rundown on scaring one of those up for myself.
If there are going to be any tire changer workshops coming up... I will attend if able.
My field changing skills currently remain pretty far behind my flat making abilities. However since practice makes perfect, I should become a veritable expert in due time. :-P

SilverBulllet came up with that. There is a guy on ADV that sells a heavy duty version. I needed one quick, so I bought a hiking stick for about $10 and cut it to size using a tubing cutter. The hook came off of a trucker's tarp strap that I found in the road. I have a second one that is simply a tube and a eyebolt. The advantage of the eyebolt version is that it makes lifting the bike a one person job, just spin the nut. Both break down to a length shorter than a tire iron and fit in the tube same pouch.

Next time you buy tires give me a shout. We'll get with SB and switch them out.

m

I'd also be available if someone wants a second pair of eyes when I'm in SW Houston or La Grange. Can't say I'm always around, but when I am I'm willing to help. Give me a shout.

Thanks man! You've been added to the faculty! See the first post in this thread :clap:

You are now Dean of the School of Tire Compounds and Patches :sun:

Tricepilot, I would be willing to give a school, if we could find two or three people in this area who wanted to get better. I do have a great kit that I carry with me on rides.

Sam

Sam you have been added to the first post in the thread as well as an instructor. Thanks for your resume, I have doubled your asking salary. :clap:

You are now the Dean of School of Tire Tool Kits :sun:

I have no fancy ways. I learned from a bunch of old TSCEC enduro riders, you either could do it in a minimal amount of time, or you rode all the way home from the race listening to "my sister changes tires faster than you", or "maybe you should have let that old lady at the gas stop change it for you". Humiliation is a great motivator.

Ditto

I had a poor showing of myself at an early Uncle's Ride when I had all the kit but no show. I was "That Guy" and I had to admit that I needed the skills. Starting watching those videos that are now at the front of the thread and then, practice practice practice.

A HUGE part of my own practice is helping others via the MSTA, like helping yesterday with Ivan and his KLX 250.

:

Definitely will be adding all tire changing pics to the MSTA Gallery. Thanks man!

Nothing like seeing everybody dealing with flats out in the wilderness to motivate one to "get with the program" as far as tire skills go.

Everybody flats at some point! Some do it regularly!

Next time you buy tires give me a shout. We'll get with SB and switch them out.

:clap::clap::clap:

This is exactly the community I was hoping to engender with the Tire Academy

Riders assisting other riders in different parts of the state and more and more riders becoming proficient and staying practiced. Bravo!

Not wanting to be "that man" on the trail I built a trail stand this morning for free :clap: I had part of an old telescoping car wash wand in my scrap pile :rider:
Like I always say, give the hardest job to the laziest person and he will show you the easiest way to do it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Plus , I can assist in flat repair around Gonzales or transport a bike :eat:

taillift006_zps262e2045.jpg

Back