• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

I would suggest that in the future that the class be held on a patch of baby head rocks and cactus. You know, to give it that air of authenticity.

:clap: :lol2: :rofl:

I may also add 4 or 5 cardboard cutouts of "buddies" standing around in various states of apparent frustration, to give the practice scene even more of that air of authenticity.

Last edited:

I may also add 4 or 5 cardboard cutouts of "buddies" standing around in various states of apparent frustration, to give the practice scene even more of that air of authenticity.
If each one isn't offering it's own piece of completely different and generally incorrect advice, it won't be that authentic. :rofl:

Trice , you have the prettiest avitar :clap:

If each one isn't offering it's own piece of completely different and generally incorrect advice, it won't be that authentic. :rofl:
Somebody get started on the cutouts and we can put balloons with the incorrect advice printed inside each. Just like the comics! How ever having some seasoned veterns show up would really help set the mood.:trust:

I hope someone decides to try taking the class during the july 9th BBQ. EVERYBODY could stand around and tell them the proper way to fix the tire.

Trice, what kind of pump do you recommend on the trail? I have a slime brand one that has served me well, but 2 years later and its ready to die. My dad just got the little aerostitch one, but neither of us have used it in its actual setting. Just wanna know what youve had experience with, and what you, being the master, recommend.

I hope someone decides to try taking the class during the july 9th BBQ. EVERYBODY could stand around and tell them the proper way to fix the tire.

Trice, what kind of pump do you recommend on the trail? I have a slime brand one that has served me well, but 2 years later and its ready to die. My dad just got the little aerostitch one, but neither of us have used it in its actual setting. Just wanna know what youve had experience with, and what you, being the master, recommend.

I use a Slime pump also. I also have another brand. It really doesn't matter, what does matter is that you practice with it. A lot of riders, what they do is they throw what they think is a reasonable tire kit together and hit the trail. Then, they're taking their tire kit out and hoping they can figure out how it all works without ever having practiced before. I've seen this with tubeless tires too and tire plug kits.

I'm not a tire flat fixing master, but I've seen those guys on the trail. What I did figure out is that to really enjoy being out there on a motorcycle adventure, it's prudent to be able to be self-sufficient in the tire department. What I've learned is that practice is the key, and you really can't practice unless you've done it at least once in a controlled situation, with someone helping you figure it out. Well, at least it's much easier that way. I think it was on one of Richard's Beyond Epic Junction rides where I watched RickM do the flat on a rear tire on a KLR. I quickly realized I wasn't anywhere near his skill level on dealing with a thorn in a tire, and if I had to do what he did for myself or a riding buddy, we'd be there all day. That's when I went home and decided to pull the wheels on my KLR and watch online videos and read posts and talk to people and figure out how to make flat fixing and tire changing painless. And that's a good point to emphasize - it isn't just for flats - I do all my tire change outs/new rubber installation just like one would do on the side of a dirt road, on a tarp in the driveway with only my "road" tools. I even gave away my tire stand.

This job is pretty easy if you know the key tricks. And it's those tricks along with an emphasis on building a really good, lightweight, simple trail kit for tires that I enjoy showing folks. I didn't invent these tricks - I simply pay attention to the real experts out there and put my own hodgepodge tool kit and lesson plan together to help other people.

:lol2: :rofl:

Trice , you have the prettiest avitar :clap:

She shows up and supervises at all Mad Scientist Tire Academy lessons. :sun:

Somebody get started on the cutouts and we can put balloons with the incorrect advice printed inside each. Just like the comics! How ever having some seasoned veterns show up would really help set the mood.:trust:

I was thinking about getting out the industrial fan and the garden hose, and having my wife clang two garbage can lids together, to simulate patching a flat during a thunderstorm. :lol2:

Next Class is 14 May

Class is IN SESSION this coming Saturday 14 May at 1 PM at Casa Tricepilot. Carl (WhiskeySmith) is coming over from Seguin.

:sun:

I will also be BBQing CHICKEN on the BIG GREEN EGG for anyone who wants to stop by and play the role of helpful kibbitzer

:eat:

WhiskeySmith (Carl) came over this afternoon with his F800 and we did the front tire on his bike for flat repair school.

Did a round of steakburgers on the Big Green Egg prior to wrenching just to make sure there was enough energy to do the job. :eat:

Tools, technique, and helpful hints to keep a dirt bike on the trail.

Also sacrificed an old tire for tubeless plug practice and a tube for patch practice.

Then on to a Thai restaurant for some excellent food and to meet Carl's beautiful girlfriend (Supat :trust: - I think that's her name). Thanks for the meal, Carl :bow:

Schizzman was down from Austin to make sure all went well. :clap:

Tricepilot is The Man

Wow, what can I say other than "Bob is The Man!"

As he mentioned, there were steakburgers, technique and helpful hints were passed along ( I've got to make sure I get me one of them "hook" thingy's ), he provided a tire and tube (new, I think) for plug and patching practice. Schizzman came down and shared stories from his recent Mexico trip.

What Bob didn't mention is that he also discussed other common "breakdowns" that might occur on the trail and my readiness to overcome them. All of this on a day when he had a family event later in the evening that he also needed to be ready for.

Thank you Bob and Schizzman, for taking to the time to help me become a better rider.

-Carl

Recommended Flat Tire Kit

Here is a list I recommend for your consideration. Experienced riders may have fewer or more or different, it's all good. This is a starting place, tailor your kit to suit your needs.

Front Tube Spare
Rear Tube Spare

I carry 2 each of the spare tubes, one set in a bag on the front fender of my KLR, and another set with the flat tire kit

Valve Core Spares
Valve Core Tool

In a pinch, you can replace a lost valve core by harvesting another from one of your spare tubes.

Tire Spoons

You'll need at least 3 to be efficient. I use Motion Pro. One has the correct socket size for the rear axle of the KLR built in.

Bead Buddy

Also by Motion Pro. See the video at the beginning of the thread.

Bead Lube

I use windex but I also have Bead Lube. Windex is cheap and evaporates quickly. This was also in the video.

Talc

Helps prevent pinch flats when reinstalling.

Valve Stem Nut Wrench

Totally optional. Helpful, but pliars can do the same job. Sometimes the valve stem nut is round and won't take a wrench, so pliars are fine.

Valve Hook Tool

I made one from a Craftsman hook with the end ground off so as not to poke the tube. Helps to grab the valve stem during reinstallation.

Electric Pump

Your choice. You'll need to practice with it to get familiar with it and know its limitations.

Battery Pigtail

No point in having an electric pump if you can't tap the battery.

Pigtail Extension Coord

Optional, helps when you're inflating someone elses tire.

Rubber Mallet

Helpful when removing/installing axles.

Bead Breaker

When with a friend, use your buddy's kickstand. When solo, may be helpful. There are different kinds on the market. Practice to know its capabilities and limitations.

Length of Wire or Coord

In the event you wish to suspend a brake assembly

Brake Pad Shim

Helpful in the event someone squeezes the brake lever. Prevents the brake pads closing with no rotor present.

Headlamp

What? You think all flats happen at high noon?

Reading Glasses

For the older guys.

Marking Chalk

Super handy for marking your place on a tube or tire

Pliars

To pull out the item that made the hole. Also can help remove valve nuts or cotter pins from axle nuts.

Socket Wrench

For axle nuts and pinch bolts. Will probably already be in your tool kit.

Axel Nut Socket

You can get a tire spoon from Motion Pro with your correct size built in.

Pinch Bolt Socket

Front axle item.

Socket Extension

May be required. Helpful on one side of a KLR front axle.

Gloves

Optional

Tarp

A small section of tarp keeps your area clean when working on a sandy trail. Keeps sand out of your bearings and helps keep things from getting lost in the sand. Can double as an emergency rain shelter or sleeping tarp. Doesn't need to be huge.

Rags

Optional

Patch Kit

Practice. Practice . Practice. Don't make the first time you use a patch kit a real world trail side situation. Always make sure the glue hasn't dried out from years of storage. Let the glue "flash over" before applying the patch. Sand the area, then clean the patch area with an alcohol wipe.

Alcohol Wipes

String Kit (or Plugs) for Tubeless Tires

Tire Pressure Guage

Last edited:
What not to forget

"If it's difficult, you're doing it wrong"

"Both beads pop to the outside to remove the rim"

"Always have a list"

"Practice before your ride"

"Compress the bead into the rim to provide more lever space"

"Practice in your garage with trailside tools"

"Don't be "that guy" "

And don't forget, one must have a camera in his hand. :nana::rofl:

WhiskeySmith grabbing some shade as he gets ready to drop the tube back into the tire

smugshot1311130-L.jpg

Relaxing at the Thai restaurant where his girl works

smugshot8293776-M.jpg

Schizzman enjoying dessert

smugshot7292950-M.jpg

Great videos! I've been doing it wrong. Wish I'd seen this before putting the new tennies on last weekend. Got proper tools...just wasn't using them right.
Thanks Trice. :thumb:

There is something about the shape of this spoon that just makes it work better than any others I've tried. The curved end is perfectly shaped and rounded and the price is right too. If you need more leverage, you're doing it wrong.

RockymountainATV.com $2.99

rmatv33-X3.png

And to avoid pinch flats during reassembly, never move the iron past 90 degrees(straight up) when levering the bead back onto the rim.
:chug:

Last edited:

There is something about the shape of this spoon that just makes it work better than any others I've tried. The curved end is perfectly shaped and rounded and the price is right too. If you need more leverage, you're doing it wrong.

RockymountainATV.com $2.99

rmatv33-X3.png

And to avoid pinch flats during reassembly, never move the iron past 90 degrees(straight up) when levering the beadback onto the rim.

My tire tool kit is made of tusk products. I have that spoon, the fender pack and 2 spoons (lost one), the bead buddy, the valve stem fishing thing, and another large spoon with a handle on it. Tusk stuff works extremely well and its very cheap.

WhiskeySmith grabbing some shade as he gets ready to drop the tube back into the tire

smugshot1311130-L.jpg
I've spotted another opportunity for some realism. Take away all shade except from two items, a bush that's lower than your knee and a scraggly tree with no leaves on it anymore....then increase the temperature about thirty degrees at least. :rofl:

I've spotted another opportunity for some realism. Take away all shade except from two items, a bush that's lower than your knee and a scraggly tree with no leaves on it anymore....then increase the temperature about thirty degrees at least. :rofl:

:rofl:

Great videos! ...... Got proper tools...just wasn't using them right.

Rick M and a bunch of other guys around here do tires even better than the guy in the video :sun:

If you need more leverage, you're doing it wrong.

And to avoid pinch flats during reassembly, never move the iron past 90 degrees(straight up) when levering the bead back onto the rim.

Great tips John :clap:

My tire tool kit is made of tusk products.

Good testimony on Tusk products from you and John :)

I have ZERO experience with rim locks.

Looking forward to my first encounter with them. Curious as to anyone with rim locks on their wheels who might be able to provide tips or tricks....now or later.

Back