• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

making the bandit a touring bike

Reaction score
just purchase a 2007 bandit and am wanting to make it a touring bike. want to add hwy pegs, tallest windshield, most comfortable seat and figure out how to use the back seat and tank bag to carry enough for a one or two week trip. (i'm 5'11" and about 170lbs) also want to up the weight of the fork oil and maybe replace springs for a better front end in the twisties. thoughts on how to achieve all this for a low co

Get a roll top dry bag from Walmart, stuff you crap in it, then put that in a duffle bag. Tie that across the passenger seat with Rok straps. Get a wooden beaded seat cover for $10 on amazon and you have a touring bike.

just purchase a 2007 bandit and am wanting to make it a touring bike. want to add hwy pegs, tallest windshield, most comfortable seat and figure out how to use the back seat and tank bag to carry enough for a one or two week trip. (i'm 5'11" and about 170lbs) also want to up the weight of the fork oil and maybe replace springs for a better front end in the twisties. thoughts on how to achieve all this for a low co
Get a roll top dry bag from Walmart, stuff you crap in it, then put that in a duffle bag. Tie that across the passenger seat with Rok straps. Get a wooden beaded seat cover for $10 on amazon and you have a touring bike.
gotta admit, i like the 'make it work' mentality you display here. decades ago i tried the beaded seat and didn't like it then (in a car) but maybe i'll try it on this bike. any windshield ideas? there is quite a curviture to deal with and i might have to ghetto fashion something for a framework using another windshield. thanks for your contribution.

I don't like windshields. I have a "quarter fairing" on my Harley FXD to take the weight of the windblast off my chest because of the poorly placed footpegs. I have a Dart Marlin flyscreen on my Thruxton, mostly because my wife wanted it. My last tour was on the Thruxton, I have been all over the country on Ducati Monsters, Ninja 250 and 650s, and the Harley and Triumph. I have a VSTROM and hate the windshield on it, it will probably be for sale soon. I put a small windshield on an XR650 for a ride to northern Arkansas. It was nice on the ride up in the cold rain, but broke off on the trails.

I don't like windshields. I have a "quarter fairing" on my Harley FXD to take the weight of the windblast off my chest because of the poorly placed footpegs. I have a Dart Marlin flyscreen on my Thruxton, mostly because my wife wanted it. My last tour was on the Thruxton, I have been all over the country on Ducati Monsters, Ninja 250 and 650s, and the Harley and Triumph. I have a VSTROM and hate the windshield on it, it will probably be for sale soon. I put a small windshield on an XR650 for a ride to northern Arkansas. It was nice on the ride up in the cold rain, but broke off on the trails.
the thing I like about a windshield - a good quality one that actually directs the air flow anywhere but on you - is that I can do 600+ mile days without all that wind force and wind noise hour after hour. i'm guessing that quarter fairing on the Harley works pretty well since you sit so low?

Wind hits me just below shoulder height on the Harley. I mostly would prefer to lean into it and find a balance point.

Attachments

• thruxtononthetrace.jpg
    thruxtononthetrace.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 304
  • harley quarter.JPG
    harley quarter.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 308
You may want to see if a Mod will move this to the Bandit sub forum where it will get more specific views.

As for windscreens, I have tow primary bikes right now. The G650X is a dual sport and has a small windscreen that I can easily remove. It keeps the wind off of my chest and can make a real difference on a 500 mile day. The other is an RT and has full wind protection. If I am riding anywhere that is all pavement, or even a little gravel road, it's the RT summer and especially winter.

Back