• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Marfa, Texas - got it!

M

mr-roboto

Ae2MCvR1dIa9Da_bB1RGwe9mDAaasAuAkGwljNyPVPY=w1143-h989-no.jpg

Funky, funky....never heard of the place until now.

Is that the place where the girls don't shave their legs nor arm pits?

icon_singing.gif

RB

No visit to Marfa is complete without staying at El Cosmico
El Cosmico is cosmic....
Just make sure you get a trailer. LOL. :dude:
Funky, funky....never heard of the place until now.

El Cosmico is rightfully named as their prices are truly out of this world. Trailers $120-$170, teepees $150 and even a tent is $85 a night! I'll drive down the road a ways and stay at this place in Marathon. Equally psychedelic and only $20 a night for a bunk or $25 for a trailer or cottage.

20150127_080522_zpsxl8ygios.jpg

La-Loma-Del-Chivo.jpg

_

El Cosmico is rightfully named as their prices are truly out of this world. Trailers $120-$170, teepees $150 and even a tent is $85 a night!

Definitely overpriced, but they seem to be getting it. Somewhere along the way, hippie became hipster became hoytie. What is the world coming to? LOL.

I've camped there in my own tent. They have a shared outdoor cooking / eating area, showers, etc. That's the way to do Cosmico.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I like the Marathon Motel - http://www.marathonmotel.com/. A room for less than El Cosmico tent.

I'm sad to say, IMO Marfa ain't the joint it used to be. Austin-tacious has hit that corner of West Texas hard. Interestingly, when I visit these kind of places with my demographically correct son (NYC based fashion student) it's all "duuuude, let me help you." On my own it's "we can ignore the old fart."

Been asking the locals (who seem to largely agree with me) where the next Marfa will be (then I can flip property). No consensus so far except it isn't Marathon.

Been asking the locals (who seem to largely agree with me) where the next Marfa will be (then I can flip property). No consensus so far except it isn't Marathon.

That is an excellent $question$.

I think...it would probably be a city within reasonable distance of a major city in order to capture the convenience of decent restaurants and access to items not stocked in smaller ones. As we all know, the coverage of America’s changing urban scene tends to focus heavily on large metropolitan areas and the “megaregions” now often said to dominate the economic future.

But often missed has been a slow, but inexorable, shift of migration and economic growth to smaller cities, a geography usually ignored or dismissed...like Marfa. I think Marfa is unique because the chap (see Trice Pilot link above) that started the movement in Marfa really capitalized on a vast expanse of land whose owners are of Libertarian leaning - allowing the bohemian lifestyle to express itself through the art movement.

With the oil boom, perhaps smaller towns outside of Midland or Odessa region might be the the ticket you're looking for (fyi -I think Llano is the next Fredericksburg in terms of real estate potential). I know Montana has some smaller towns that promote the outdoor and big-sky concepts to high-tech companies who don't need to be located in a specific geographical area. There was an actual Ted Talk on this subject but can't seem to find it. This presentation involved a mayor of a small town in either Montana or Wyoming going through a rigorous marketing and advertising campaign to acquire more knowledge-based entrepreneur to move there.

RB

Marathon Motel & RV park and tent camping is the best value in Big Bend. Danny, the owner is a cool dude also. Might even break out his large telescope for you like he did for us. Great place to stay. Cool casitas for around $70.00 a night. Great gathering place in a outdoor fire ring area to meet other interesting folks.

El Cosmico is way over-rated. And way over-priced.

Back