• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Where are you located? My youth group wants me to take them camping again, and an extra tent would come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my best camping meal to date was kipper snacks, olives, crackers, cheese and a pre packaged rice krispy treat at Llano SP in Junction. Simple seems to work for me. When car camping, I will go stupid with meals.

:)

The kipper snacks are high on Omega-3s and are part of my regular home diet. Didn't know anyone else that like them.

Like to cheap camp out idea. Run a tally of total camp expenditures and a separate tally for equipment used.

Steepandcheap.com for some pretty smoking deals occasionally.
Ordered a Alps mountaineering Chaos 2, 3 season whatever that means tent for $118 shipped. As soon as she arrives I will post up pics and a review. I know all you yankee Texans are freezing your tailpipes off, I guess that's why I haven't been seeing any activity on this thread.
Well, I am bringing it back baby!

Steepandcheap.com for some pretty smoking deals occasionally.
Ordered a Alps mountaineering Chaos 2, 3 season whatever that means tent for $118 shipped. As soon as she arrives I will post up pics and a review. I know all you yankee Texans are freezing your tailpipes off, I guess that's why I haven't been seeing any activity on this thread.

3-season tents, usually, don't have zippered windows inside their screened sections

to call them 4-season, you will be able to completely close the tent as well as having a 360º FULL LENGTH fly, to form an insulating layer between you & the weather

$118, shipped, sounds like a really good price

pics please

sw

...I know all you yankee Texans are freezing your tailpipes off, I guess that's why I haven't been seeing any activity on this thread.

Yankee Texan, that's a good one. I guess I qualify. Do you know why Yankees are like hemorroids? When they come down and then go back up they are fine, but when they come down and stay then you have a problem. Lol

I was camping for 3 days last week in So. AZ. Was below freezing every night/morning and the first day's ride we hit sleet at about 5,000 ft. Finally put my tent to use that I had bought 3 years ago.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SwissGear-Niesen-7.5-x-5.5-Hiker-Tent-Orange-and-Charcoal/13228644
It went up easy and was very comfortable, I was warm and slept well once inside my sleeping bag each night. Only negative was my sleeping pad, a thin yoga type pad which left much room for improvement. So with a MS camping trip planned for later this month after Big Bend I decided to upgrade. New $21 self inflating pad and a $40 compact mummy bag rated for 30-40F. About 1/4 the bulk and 2 lbs less weight.

20150304_095336_zps7qkzsyba.jpg

_

Cabelas bargain cave has some bargains in it sometimes. We got some big fluffy warm sleeping bags for $25 each. I don't know if they'd make good mc camping bags. They don't roll down very small.

This may sound bourgeois, but a few bucks for a camp site sometimes keeps out the riffraff. Not always, but sometimes.

Maybe not for MC camping, Bines, but those are the kind of bags I use in my popup. Big, cheap, fluffy square bags. If it's too cold for the bags themselves to keep us warm, we throw comforters over the bags & we're good to well below freezing.

As for riffraff, some would say we ARE the riffraff. :lol2:

a gi wool blanket over a substandard bag really works well also.

This is a good point. I have a sleeping system that consists of two bags (one patrol bag good to 45* and one cold weather bag good to 15 by itself. The whole system goes together and is good down into the negative digits) and a goretex outershell. If I think the weather MIGHT get a bit cold I'll pack my poncho liner (or woobie haha) with the patrol bag as well which adds a good bit of warmth.

one F*bomb is dropped in this video but it's the truth haha.
[ame="http://youtu.be/bIFEmlhDqdA"]Woobie - More Than A "Blanket" - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe not for MC camping, Bines, but those are the kind of bags I use in my popup. Big, cheap, fluffy square bags. If it's too cold for the bags themselves to keep us warm, we throw comforters over the bags & we're good to well below freezing.

As for riffraff, some would say we ARE the riffraff. :lol2:

Yes and yes. :D

We camped after a wedding at Ft Davis state park, and the game warden threatened to arrest us all for drinking and a bunch of other trumped up malarkey. Yeah, we had booze. It was a wedding party. We had thought we were clear with the park rangers. They were not concerned one bit with us. Turned out that particular game warden was a ... He had personal issues...

Yes and yes. :D

We camped after a wedding at Ft Davis state park, and the game warden threatened to arrest us all for drinking and a bunch of other trumped up malarkey. Yeah, we had booze. It was a wedding party. We had thought we were clear with the park rangers. They were not concerned one bit with us. Turned out that particular game warden was a ... He had personal issues...

Yep, booze in Texas SPs is illegal. On the other hand so is amnesty and using private servers and email systems to do state department business. The laws don't apply to them so what's wrong with us having beer in a state park?

Yep, booze in Texas SPs is illegal. On the other hand so is amnesty and using private servers and email systems to do state department business. The laws don't apply to them so what's wrong with us having beer in a state park?

Nothing 'cept that we ain't honchos sittin' in the catbird's seat at the moment.
Too old to care much anymore, here, but with age came ever greater capacity for sneakiness, when needed. :trust:

Edit: But N E V E R before driving, Officer, Sir!

Last edited:
Thing is, the bride and groom reserved the wedding area, a pavilion and camp sites for the event. This was done through the park. Everybody involved knew this was a wedding and reception camp out. When it says public consumption of alcohol is not allowed, which is what it says, and we have a privately reserved area... And the park didn't have a problem... And it was one game warden...

If the park service doesn't want any alcohol in the park, it needs to say that. No need to muddy it up with anything about public consumption. Don't act cool about it and then cave when a gw shows up. Just say no and let no mean no. That simplicity would have saved about 20 guests, a game warden and the park a lot of hassle. Ain't nobody looking for trouble.

These same hooligans, when we all go car camping together, they've got this meal system. Each person or couple is responsible for cooking a group meal. This means you don't have to bring meals for yourself for each meal you want. You bring the spread for the one meal you're responsible for. We also all discuss what's being cooked and minimize duplicating items that can be shared.

1270485530-Svea_123r_opt.jpg

Any thoughts on these? I've about decided on this for my needs due to fuel availability.

Not sure on brand there. I'm guessing it's a gasoline stove?

Svea stove. Cool. I had two as a kid, used it when we had power outages :-)

Good article. I carry variants of all that stuff. A lot of people don't carry sizable water containers, but I frequently end up in dry camps, so I carry a 10-liter collapsible water jug. There's always a friendly store or ranger station nearby where I can tank up.

Back