• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Never was able to make the beer can stoves. Settled for the cat food stoves. Using 91% rubbing alcohol or even better, the yellow HEET bottle.

How long to boil a small steam kettle for coffee? Does a pot on top hinder the burn? Thanks

3 cups takes about 20 minutes and a little over 2 ounces of alcohol. That gives a boil. For a mug of coffee it's about 8 minutes total. About 3 minutes to boil same amount on butane mix.

How long to boil a small steam kettle for coffee? Does a pot on top hinder the burn? Thanks

A pot doesn't hinder the burn. I use a pot sitting on top of the burner instead of a coin over the fill hole. One problem is sometimes it will flame out when you lift the pot too quickly. The reason I use this stove instead of a butane stove is weight. I backpack.

This probably falls under Cabela's awesome warranty policy. The gave me quite a refund on a several years old Alaskan Guide tent that started leaking.

My Cabelas dry bags get recycled for new every few years. A little more up front, and good for life...

It is not necessarily cheap, but I bought a Firebox 2 stove, I used charcoal and alcohol this campout. I must say, this is the best stove I ever used. I also have the Firebox Nano, I should have brought it for the potatoes. It would have saved me some time.

I use this alcohol stove (yes there are cheaper ones)

Looks like a good stove. I think we defined early in this thread, a few years back, that "cheap" is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes you have to go up a few levels to find something that works for you - or that simply makes you enjoy the experience better. I moved from a $20 tent to a $60 tent to get a Eureka that was well built. And from there, to a $150 Moose Country tent to get one that kept me warm on 30-degree nights. I still get by with a $10 stove that has never let me down. Just depends on what your needs and expectations are, in different aspects of moto camping.

It is not necessarily cheap, but I bought a Firebox 2 stove, I used charcoal and alcohol this campout. I must say, this is the best stove I ever used. I also have the Firebox Nano, I should have brought it for the potatoes. It would have saved me some time.

I use this alcohol stove (yes there are cheaper ones) View attachment 227934
How many stoves do you usually carry? Did one of these replace the solo stove?

How many stoves do you usually carry? Did one of these replace the solo stove?

Yes, this replaced the solo stove. Putting that one gallon paint can size stove in my pannier took up too much room. Plus this works better for cooking.

Packs down to about 5x6x1/2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still lovin’ the AT, Kevin? I see one in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, this replaced the solo stove. Putting that one gallon paint can size stove in my pannier took up too much room. Plus this works better for cooking.

Packs down to about 5x6x1/2
I get that, though the solo stove was pretty impressive, if bulky.

My stove is is about the size of a billfold, when closed up for travel. The butane canisters are a tad expensive, but I can camp for a week on two of them, so it costs about $1 a day to cook in camp. I bought it off Amazon 8 years ago, and it's provided me a lot of noodles & hot coffee since then.

I think I have the same Amazon stove. The stove, gas can and one green cup fits inside a Stanley pot. The pot nestles into a SS GSI cup. Total cost about $35.

Favorite stove is a couple of coffee cans in a hobo stove system. It has an alcohol stove and 4 ounces of 91 alcohol stuffed inside. It can use wood and charcoal too. It was all free except the alcohol. Carry case is an old onion bag. But it is larger and not as fast as the Stanley I just mentioned.

Doesn't get any more cheap than free, well, almost free. I took advantage of the Klymit free x-pillow offer. Just pay shipping. I got mine in today and it had what I suppose is the desired effect of making me want their mattress. I wanted their mattress anyway but this confirmed it.

I just ordered a couple of x pillows
I have the mattresses, they are nice. That special price for the mattress is 25.00 less than I paid for mine.

Doesn't get any more cheap than free, well, almost free. I took advantage of the Klymit free x-pillow offer. Just pay shipping. I got mine in today and it had what I suppose is the desired effect of making me want their mattress. I wanted their mattress anyway but this confirmed it.

$10 shipping but letting the credit card simmer down this month. Looks like it's worth it

Thanks for link, I needed a new pillow so I ordered one!

I haven't read this entire thread (yet) so sorry if already mentioned....

This isn't exactly cheap but here is my goto camping stove: https://www.jetboil.com/. Coffee in about 1.5 minutes. :dude:
View attachment 228973

I did the same thing for 20 years with the jet boil. However, you can save a ton of space and weight with an alcohol stove. It does take about 30 seconds longer with the alcohol stove :)

The nano Firebox is a great addition for the alcohol stove. It is about the size of a deck of playing cards.

One of my cheap camping tricks failed this week. The newer Sterno stove with Sterno is a bit slow to heat water so I swapped in an alcohol stove. It burned the paint and made a mess of it. I've done it with the older style aluminum successfully. This is what it looked like new:

81V3-TxPiYL._SX425_.jpg

I chunked the whole mess. Plastic on the handle melted too. Spent the rest of the week w the $10 Amazon canister stove Tim mentioned earlier. It fried eggs great with my Scout mess kit lined with foil for easy clean up. (but cook 2 eggs if you want one cause it loses a bit to the foil)

I just ordered a couple of x pillows
I have the mattresses, they are nice. That special price for the mattress is 25.00 less than I paid for mine.
FYI, that price for the Static V Mattress on their site is $5 more than it is for the green on Amazon. Their price on the site will add shipping as well, but comes with the free pillow, so if you didn't already get the pillow it's a good deal. If you have the pillow, and have Prime, you might as well order it from Amazon.

No one seems to have mentioned this stove before. Several have mentioned and even own (including me) the Coleman 502 (I think is the number for old single burner), but not this one. The Coleman 502 stove is noticeably larger in diameter but a tad shorter. These stoves were made for soldiers to carry in the field and came with a multi-purpose container.

It is made off a Coleman patent. I have seen a Coleman stove model M-1950 that looks identical. If that stands for the year, I know for certain these were issued during WWll because quite by coincidence I read about one of these stoves where a war correspondent in 1944 gave a very detailed description of this field stove some of the soldiers were issued and used in the European theater.

Anyway, it is small, comes in a container that can be used as two different size pots, runs on gas or alcohol, fold-out feet for stability, folding arms coming off the burner to hold pots, spare jet attached to vertical burner support, and spare parts inside the pump itself! Also, it comes with a little wrench to remove, repair, or in the case of alcohol, change the jet I guess. One speed, HOT. Heats very quickly after the flame settles down. Much more so than the old Coleman camp stove. Runs a long time off one tank of gas so for bike trips, doubtful you would need to add any.

This particular one belonged to my father-in-law. Mine now! :clap: It is called an Akron 1952.

Last edited:
FYI, that price for the Static V Mattress on their site is $5 more than it is for the green on Amazon. Their price on the site will add shipping as well, but comes with the free pillow, so if you didn't already get the pillow it's a good deal. If you have the pillow, and have Prime, you might as well order it from Amazon.
Second the motion. I have the Static V and it rolls/folds up small so perfect for those bike camping trips.

RE: the stove I posted a couple of posts back, I thought I would check availability on eBay. Seems they can still be had (used of course) for between $40-$70 w/shipping. Not too bad considering how small the entire package is, the heat they put out, and its readily available fuel - gasoline. Had no idea what they were worth. Friend bought one earlier in year for $25.

Back