• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Dallas area dealerships all close on Mondays. Same for a lot of small independents.

Edit: Sorry guys, wrong thread. Unknown how it got here.

Last edited:
Sounds like your going camping? It rolls up to about the size of a soda can.
Sigh, eventually. Life has been throwing punches lately and I haven't had time. I didn't even get out to see the Bluebonnets this year. But yes, I'm still making preparations to one day get out to camp on the bike.

Sigh, eventually. Life has been throwing punches lately and I haven't had time. I didn't even get out to see the Bluebonnets this year. But yes, I'm still making preparations to one day get out to camp on the bike.

Don't feel like the lone ranger. :help: Where were you thinking of camping when you do get to go?

Don't feel like the lone ranger. :help: Where were you thinking of camping when you do get to go?
No real plans at this point, got a big trip coming up for one of the FJR Rallies this fall, but would like to add and test gear before then, but it's been hard to get away lately.

Think I'm going camping next week for two nights at Chickasaw. We'll trailer there though. Can't stand going through Dallas and then Denton on my 350. No problems after that. LOTS of options when you trailer to ride. Do I take the folding camp chair or the living room LAZY BOY????

Think I'm going camping next week for two nights at Chickasaw. We'll trailer there though. Can't stand going through Dallas and then Denton on my 350. No problems after that. LOTS of options when you trailer to ride. Do I take the folding camp chair or the living room LAZY BOY????
I am going get up that way again someday. I lived near the Red river when I was a kiddo. Up till about 1977. Been forever since I have been camping up that way.

Hey, for 8 bucks, it's worth a try. I ordered one too. Could be useful for long distance driving.

add some silicone spray and maybe a temporary seat cushion for the motorcycle

Cheap firewood - I've been whittling down a stump and root that is well rotted. I put it into my hobo stove to see how well it burns. It took time and 3 vaseline coated cotton balls to get it going. Once lit, it burns like charcoal with a long smooth burn. Wood fires tend to need constant attention but not the rotted roots.

If you are in a hurry while riding, this won't work. But if you are setting up for a twilight dinner meal or s'mores, this can work.

Swedish-Fire-Log-DIY-3.jpg

swedish-fire-log-pmx120119feafire-005-1578604226.jpg

View attachment 252214
View attachment 252215

I do ALL my old stumps like that. As soon as the tree comes down I cut across it multiple times and pour a little diesel in the slots from time to time. When the grandkids are ready for a nifty little fire, we find a stump in the woods! Great fires, burns a long time, and good for multiple methods of cooking.

While you can find old dried stumps on your motorcycle campouts, it is difficult to take a chainsaw along to cut the slots in it. :rofl:

It has been a great source of ideas. Thank you Tim.

Drew, it's been fun keeping up with it, even though I haven't been able to bike camp in 3 years or so. You know that if you want to ride up to Centennial some time, I'll have a spare bedroom. We're overdue for another trip.

talking of Ideas, I had to give up my hammock sleeping system due to leg cramps distroying any thought of a good nights sleep. I did not want to go back to my little dome as its just a little heavy and bulky for the bike. Long search ended just last week and I broke down and ordered a "One Tigress Backwoods". first time in at least a decade I have had a single layer tent. Will report back as soon as it arrives and I get a weekend to check it out.
1578947325299.jpeg

That's an interesting looking little tent. Hope you can post a picture of it folded up, along with the opened/closed dimensions. And also, since this thread was all about doing it on the cheap, you're welcome - but not required - to post the price.

Last years model is going for $78.00. I opted for this years model with better ventilation and reinforced tie outs for $110 both on Amazon. What interested me is these tents don't need poles. Just a ridge line from a tree to the bike or bike to bike if needed. I always have a line and light weight tarp with me anyway so just another item I don't have to keep on the bike. I also always have a single collapsible pole for use with my tarp so it can double as a tent pole if no trees are available.

Drew, it's been fun keeping up with it, even though I haven't been able to bike camp in 3 years or so. You know that if you want to ride up to Centennial some time, I'll have a spare bedroom. We're overdue for another trip.
Have you already moved to Colorado, Tim?

It has been a good thread.

I spend a lot of time perfecting my ultralight backpack for camping and biking but I never use it. Still using a $25 Academy dome tent and a cheap sleeping bag to match the temps. Same rig for 5 or 6 years now. We've been through some awful large thunderstorms but no hail and nothing below freezing.

My kids are moving out of my house at the end of Feb. We'll be putting our Arlington house on the market probably in mid-late March, and will hopefully be in Centennial by early summer. I'll still be a TWT'er; heck, I'll still be a Texan till the day I day. I hope this thread lasts another seven years. I'm looking forward to seeing my grandkids at least once a week. Also looking forward to being able to get to some of my favorite riding roads in hours instead of two hard days.

Back