• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Free camping

1.Turn right a few miles north of Salida, Co. on 194. Watch for the sign,”Dan’s Land, Free Camping.” Sign is on a 1
x4 that is about a foot long. Just pull in and camp. Beautiful scenery. Keep going on the same road and there is an organized campground right on the Arkansas river.

2.Turn left on the first road to the left after going over Molas Pass on the million dollar highway, heading north. Little Molas Lake campground, free and breathtaking.
IMG_1168.jpg

3.Maybell Colorado-Free camping in the city park, at least it was in 1993. Close to Dinosaur Park.

Our motorcycle camping gear tends to be on the expensive side since most of it doubles as our backpacking gear.

My take on moto camping is... Buy top of the line gear then save dinero on campsites. Nothing worse than saving a couple bux on gear only to be disappointed after spending a miserable night at a high dollar campsite with cheap amenities. This is the makings for what turns out as the next day (for what you are really doing this for, the riding) long, miserable and looking to spend big BUX for a nice nights rest.

I also buy a State Park annual pass which makes any park in Texas accessible to me not only on the moto but also in the cage with the family. Money well spent. :thumb:

If your looking for some real great buys and have a Cabelas nearby, go to the bargain cave. You can find some great deals at the change of seasons and really throughout the year.

Yeah, I've found some decent stuff in there. I found my waterproof MC Garmin GPS in their bargain cave for $150. It had been selling for close to $600, but I guess they marked it down because it had been opened. That's one of the few places where I do see pretty good prices on used/opened stuff. As for their new stuff they sell, the Cabela branded stuff costs more than some major brands that I've seen and it's not anything different. From that respect, I place them up there with REI price wise (as far as camping and clothing stuff goes. I don't hunt or fish, so I don't know how that kind of stuff compares to other places price wise).

The Caddo and LBJ national grasslands are all open to free camping. However, most of the roads and have been blocked so you have to leave your bike at a trailhead and walk in a little ways.

I still use most of my backpacking stuff from back in the days I would carry around everything on my back that now load on a motorcycle.

Looking for cheap deals and do not care about last years nylon color? I regularly pick up very inexpensive top-end gear at the REI outlet online.

Since I don't think it has not been mentioned yet, stealth camping is free :-) I have seen a few good threads on stealth camping at motocampers.com

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.twowheelsandatankfullofgas.blogspot.com

My take on moto camping is... Buy top of the line gear then save dinero on campsites. Nothing worse than saving a couple bux on gear only to be disappointed after spending a miserable night at a high dollar campsite with cheap amenities. This is the makings for what turns out as the next day (for what you are really doing this for, the riding) long, miserable and looking to spend big BUX for a nice nights rest.

I also buy a State Park annual pass which makes any park in Texas accessible to me not only on the moto but also in the cage with the family. Money well spent. :thumb:

Agree! I love Texas State Parks! One of my favorites is South Llano River State Park.

Yeah, I've found some decent stuff in there. I found my waterproof MC Garmin GPS in their bargain cave for $150. It had been selling for close to $600, but I guess they marked it down because it had been opened. That's one of the few places where I do see pretty good prices on used/opened stuff. As for their new stuff they sell, the Cabela branded stuff costs more than some major brands that I've seen and it's not anything different. From that respect, I place them up there with REI price wise (as far as camping and clothing stuff goes. I don't hunt or fish, so I don't know how that kind of stuff compares to other places price wise).

Yep, I don't normally shop in the main store, although I have bought some nice fishing reels that were on sale at a good price.
The Bargain cave is the best for me.

Many Texas cities and towns have camp grounds and RV parks. I've camped at Robinson Park in Illano for $1.00 a night. The Illano PD station is physically inside the park and patrol the area at night.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-41365.html

Here is link for Fredericksburg Municipal Park(allows tents) . Havent camped there yet.
http://www.fbgtx.org/index.aspx?NID=343

How did I forget LLano park? Me mikesoldvirago and Beemin camped there after the Marble falls pie run. I think it was two bucks and that is plenty cheap. Thanks for reminding us kojack06. See you there when your ready.

How did I forget LLano park? Me mikesoldvirago and Beemin camped there after the Marble falls pie run. I think it was two bucks and that is plenty cheap. Thanks for reminding us kojack06. See you there when your ready.

Now that you mentioned it, I think it was two dollars.

I think they just changed their return policy to not allow the unlimited return time anymore.

Yep, it's now down to a year. :thumbd:

I like REI, it's just way overpriced in my opinion (again keep in mind I'm on the end of broke and not loaded).

I'm also on the end of broke, and I agree that the non-sale stuff is overpriced. I just never pay full price for anything from there / online outlet.

As far as actual gear recommendations, I've already commented on this elsewhere but it can't hurt to repeat it: use a plastic painter's dropcloth as a tent footprint. Cut to size to save weight / space, or just fold to size for more protection from multiple layers. Cheap and easy to replace on the road in any town large enough to have a hardware store. A tent footprint is there to take abuse for the bottom of your tent, so why drop $$ on something that's meant to be destroyed?

You don't need fancy lexan water bottles (well, maybe have one that will survive a wreck in a soft bag or backpack) - just re-use quart-sized or larger ones that come with water in them to begin with. Wrap some duct tape in key spots to reinforce them.

Some things that you can buy at REI or other sporting goods stores, you can get at wally world for significantly less.

You can get cheap good flashlights at Target or from Amazon - look for Energizer brand LED ones that run on 2AA, single LED, aluminum body, like this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-High-Intensity-Flashlight-Battery/dp/B004WN5ZCO"]Amazon.com: Energizer High Intensity LED Flashlight with 2AA Battery: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] That particular kind will throw a spot quite a ways (150 lumen) and has decent batt life (2.5 hrs). It's a cheap 'tactical' flashlight. When my mom was in the market for an affordable bright light, I had her get this.

For a smaller, dimmer version (1AA) of about the same quality, try this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Tactical-Handheld-Flashlight-1-Watt/dp/B0018OUWQO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1377058107&sr=1-1&keywords=energizer+1aa+flashlight"]Amazon.com: Energizer Tactical Metal Handheld LED Flashlight, 1-Watt: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
I own two of them. Found one in an auto parts store, the other in Target (that was a couple years ago, though).

I won't touch maglites; it took them years to catch up with the LED tech and I don't trust any company that is so slow to adapt to a new and obviously better tech. Incandescent lights of any brand aren't worth your money. I don't look at Xenon bulbs anymore either, because the LED technology can equal its brightness and uses less battery. Flashlights with multiple LEDs in them I also avoid, because that means they're using older (dimmer) LED tech. Also they typically can't throw a spot for crap and are only useful as very close-in floods. More is not better when it comes to LED bulbs in a flashlight, but they are okay in headlamps, which are designed specifically for a flood-shaped beam and put the multiple LEDs to good use.

For folding chairs, the smallest adult sized one wally world has is without arms (which only get in my way and bug me anyways) and costs <$10. Last time I bought one I think it was $6.

Interesting you mentioned maglites. I've used them for years - big ones, small ones. I've always carried the little guy with 2 AA batteries as my reading and go-to-the-outhouse light. Then I discovered these stubby little LED lights. About 2 1/2 inches long, they run on 3 AAA batteries, have 5 little LED bulbs, and put out enough lumens to conduct night landings on an aircraft carrier. And Autozone sells them for $5 at the checkout counter. I carry a couple of those, and my Academy Sports headlamp, and I'm set.

Kelty Dome4 tent from REI garage sale was $8 with a broken pole. I called Kelty on their 800 number, told them I would repair the pole myself if they would send me two sections. They came in 4 days later (free) and I spent 10 minutes stringing the bungee cord into the new ones. PVC ground cloth cut from left-over 6-mil used under concrete pours.
Camp stove is a GREAT butane 1-burner from WALMART, folds up like a 'fly'. $20!!!
Use a $4 Melita coffee filter holder over a $2 staiinless cup (Walmart)
Bag is a 16-year-old Holofil from JCPenneys, and an REI 1 1/2" compressable pad. Summer bag is a piece of Fleece blanket mterial with an additional wedge in it to make the tube big enough to bend my knees in, and some velcro tape on the closure.
Academy cook set pot makes a good boiling pot AND 1-course cooker, holds the filter cone and stove.
1-gallon canteen from Academy that I added a 40" leather belt to with added holes so it either hangs over my sissie bar, or on my shoulder. It's 15 years old.
Several LED flashlights, bought during the Christmas sales at Home Depot- 10 of 'em with batteries fro $19, so I could give some as gifts.
A 3-d-cell LED MagLite, doubles as a night stick. (Who needs a big breakable lantern?)
BLM lands are free. I slept on the same ground as Lewis & Clark several nights in 2011.
California's budget woes make it too expensive to stay in their state parks. I got a good motel for 5 bucks more than the park.
But, the Outback Oasis Motel in Sanderson on the way to BigBend is $50, and YOU GOTTA SEE the poisonous snake collection they have just inside the office! SERIOUS STUFF!
On the other hand, the $26/night motel in Tenopah, NV was a last ditch thingy. When the sheets still had pubic hairs from a previous engagement, I unrolled the bag on top of the covers.
And the hail storm that turned into snow in SanteFe did cost me a chunk at the Best Western.
Finally, I've 'speed-napped' on a park bench at a rest stop in Kansas at 2AM, and I've pulled into the protective 'cone' near a high-power line during an afternoon monsoon outside Kingman, AZ and stretched the rain fly from my tent over me and the bike after the ignition flooded out. (Marconi effect= protected within an angle of 45 degrees from the protecting structure.
(Oh, yeah. Almost forgot the shelter to the lee of an abandoned store in Carrizzosa, NM during the 70+MPH dust storm. The moon that night was awe-inspiring.)

Kelty Dome4 tent from REI garage sale was $8 with a broken pole. I called Kelty on their 800 number, told them I would repair the pole myself if they would send me two sections. They came in 4 days later (free) and I spent 10 minutes stringing the bungee cord into the new ones. PVC ground cloth cut from left-over 6-mil used under concrete pours.
Camp stove is a GREAT butane 1-burner from WALMART, folds up like a 'fly'. $20!!!
Use a $4 Melita coffee filter holder over a $2 staiinless cup (Walmart)
Bag is a 16-year-old Holofil from JCPenneys, and an REI 1 1/2" compressable pad. Summer bag is a piece of Fleece blanket mterial with an additional wedge in it to make the tube big enough to bend my knees in, and some velcro tape on the closure.
Academy cook set pot makes a good boiling pot AND 1-course cooker, holds the filter cone and stove.
1-gallon canteen from Academy that I added a 40" leather belt to with added holes so it either hangs over my sissie bar, or on my shoulder. It's 15 years old.
Several LED flashlights, bought during the Christmas sales at Home Depot- 10 of 'em with batteries fro $19, so I could give some as gifts.
A 3-d-cell LED MagLite, doubles as a night stick. (Who needs a big breakable lantern?)
BLM lands are free. I slept on the same ground as Lewis & Clark several nights in 2011.
California's budget woes make it too expensive to stay in their state parks. I got a good motel for 5 bucks more than the park.
But, the Outback Oasis Motel in Sanderson on the way to BigBend is $50, and YOU GOTTA SEE the poisonous snake collection they have just inside the office! SERIOUS STUFF!
On the other hand, the $26/night motel in Tenopah, NV was a last ditch thingy. When the sheets still had pubic hairs from a previous engagement, I unrolled the bag on top of the covers.
And the hail storm that turned into snow in SanteFe did cost me a chunk at the Best Western.
Finally, I've 'speed-napped' on a park bench at a rest stop in Kansas at 2AM, and I've pulled into the protective 'cone' near a high-power line during an afternoon monsoon outside Kingman, AZ and stretched the rain fly from my tent over me and the bike after the ignition flooded out. (Marconi effect= protected within an angle of 45 degrees from the protecting structure.
(Oh, yeah. Almost forgot the shelter to the lee of an abandoned store in Carrizzosa, NM during the 70+MPH dust storm. The moon that night was awe-inspiring.)

I have seen that tent he took it down in like seconds! Was trying to get a pic for the ride report and Mike is a speed demon getting packed up,he don't mess around. Nice to see you chime in. Thanks for the company at the last camp out in LLano park. You going for pie this month?

I've got some decent equipment but am still using the $20 academy pup tent.

My Big Agnes pad cost 4x that but it was a massive comfort upgrade
over the thermarest and packs much smaller.

In the scouts I remember making a tube tent out of plastic with a rope strung between two trees for support. I also remember a guy there using cut tree branches to hold up the inside of his tent.

No doubt in my mind that tarp camping in a free park is the cheapest way to camp. And it fits MC camping cause it is so small and lightweight.

Tarps

Hudson Bay pack

Then there is the fishing kit I always have. It is a pill bottle with a wine cork, a couple of small hooks punched into an end, and line wrapped around the cork. And fishing at state parks does not require a license.

6x8 tarp, separate from my tent ground cloth. I've used mine as extra waterproof layer on the tent during really heavy rain. Also as a bike cover, put on the ground if I had to work on the bike, extra thermal layer on cold nights, shade. Packs small for as much use as it is. My avatar shows my packed camping gear I take for moto-camping, the pic is me coming back from the Chain Gang rally at Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Yellow bag is tent, sleeping bag, 6x8 tarp, and air mattress, red bag is Wal-Mart chair

I wrap my tarp around my sleeping gear while traveling. Makes a nice, tight bundle, plus protects it from occasional rain.

Lots of people find success without buying expensive gear. That's what this thread is about.

Yes not every camper has a big budget. Get the best gear you can afford but not all need a $300 two man tent or high dollar sleeping bag. My Tim approved set up is all under $100 total. Thats tent,bag,chair,pad,tarp,and misc. It has been on a least six pie runs and has held up well. I do want not need a lighter better tent but that is on hold right now. Ask friends for stuff they do not use anymore. Yard sales for extra cheap gear. Goodwill and salvation army will have tents and coleman stuff also. Craigslist is full of stuff that folks have used and decided they do not like to camp. More costly is nice but not always that much better.

Back