• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

This is the current version of mine:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-tellico-3-person-dome-tent#repChildCatid=3496509

I bought some velcro tape to close the hole designed for a power cord. Also, late this summer I used seam sealer on all tent seams and seams on the rain fly. Still happy with it but too heavy to backpack.

Got the same tent. Self inflating pad and compact cot all fits in this 20180212_205303.jpg

Last edited:
The skillet on the mess kit tends to tip over on mine. Do you attach a weight or just hold the handle all the time?

The skillet on the mess kit tends to tip over on mine. Do you attach a weight or just hold the handle all the time?

Yes, cheap classic design and easy does it (burn yourself) . I just use it to boil water. Much better stuff on the market but im cheapo and only camp a couple per year. Want to start more however. You know how you always have to inprove the gear the more you experience stuff.:wave:

Tried to find a camping spot between Round Rock and Marble Falls for a weekend ride coming in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately all camp sites at state parks and Travis county (Pace Bend) were booked. I could go dispersed but its first come first serve. Booked a hotel in Cedar Park as the ride is more important than the camping. But it is not cheap.

We do need more campgrounds. Dang parks are full of RVs and as I went up I35 last week I saw hundreds of new ones on the parking lots.

It's tough getting spots in the hill country in the spring, unless you're willing to go midweek. My wife & I are going to Daingerfield in early April. Beautiful park, but not as well known as Inks Lake & others in the hill country.

Oh, did you try Blanco State Park? Nice quiet little place that not as many people know about. I've tent camped there in the past.

Blanco had two spots available but was too far from the riding area. I am on the Sl350 and my friend is on a DRz400, both geared low. If we trailered there, it would have been a difficult ride for us within weekend traffic.

I agree with during the week camping but it's not in the schedule at this time. Day rides only for now.

lots of good riding around Junction,with South Llano river state park. also Pecan Valley rv park just west of Junction has great camping and clean showers.

We rode the Lake Whitney area today. The front desk at the state park let both of us in free even though we had two vehicles (DRZ and SL) and just one pass. We were just stopping to grill some brats and tortillas for lunch but we lingered.

State Park passes. Love them.

Good stuff. Son and I camped there on Wednesday night. Nice park, our first time. Tough finding camping during Spring Break but we had a semi-lake view and the weather was amazing.

There's a bunch of free COE campsites on Lake Whitney also. I stayed at Soldiers Bluff near the bridge and had a grill, running water, picnic table, nice landscaped grounds and some sites had a lakeview also.

_

There's a bunch of free COE campsites on Lake Whitney also. I stayed at Soldiers Bluff near the bridge and had a grill, running water, picnic table, nice landscaped grounds and some sites had a lakeview also.

_

Do they take reservations at that park?

For those of you camping enthusiast that find yourself heading to the 3 sisters neighborhood this Spring and in a camping mood, I want to give a shout out to the Wes Cooksey RV Park just south of Camp Wood on the Nueces River. Nice little spot even if it is on the highway but there's not much traffic on it later in the evening. I wish I could remember or find the rates for it but had no luck. Nice little park, fishing, swimming area. Shower house and there is a little mini convenience store within a few yards of the campgrounds front gate. No need to ride back into Camp Wood for the usual supplies except for the 2 FAT BOYS BBQ!(try the pecan smoked boudain).
If you're fam is bringing the car have them bring the kayaks, plenty of water to fish and just paddle around.
Really nice campground and just down the road from 337.

We got lucky last year, was in the high 40's overnight with high in the low 70's.
Never can tell what Texas weather is gonna bring each year.

Last edited:
I've got one of those floating around somewhere. I picked it up from Amazon I think and it's been a pretty good burner. Someone sold me a jetboil a while back and I haven't used the amazon unit in quite a while.

It was really kick *** a boiling water but that was about it. Flame control was good. You could go from tiny flame to full on Saturn V.

My jetboil has been a better unit overall but it should be for the money it costs.

My review of a 25 dollar wal mart tent I bought when I forgot my tent. Video ran longer than I liked but oh well. Oh and sorry for the vertical video. I forgot to turn the phone in the mount.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2psQOIV1e8"]OT 1 PERSON TENT - YouTube[/ame]

TL:DW version, it's a cheap Wal Mart tent. You get a serviceable good weather shelter with this unit but don't expect it to be waterproof unless you put the work in to seal the seams. Easy setup and take down. packs very small.

Last edited:
I'm still using the backpacker stove I bought back in 2011. Only one I ever owned. I paid $10 for it, new, on Amazon. Brings water - or a can of stew - to a boil quickly, easy to regulate, and runs 3-4 days on one of those little butane canisters.

For those who haven't read this thread all the way from the beginning - One trick I've learned along the way is to shake the canister before each use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YLU6O6/?tag=twowhetex-20

Back