• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Memorial Day weekend campout at my [Hardy Baker's] place - 05/24/14

cdc

Registered Lurker
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Diaz
What a great event!
Had a great time.
First of all, thanks Hardy and Denise for opening the Bakerland, this is a beautifully maintained sanctuary.
I ate more cookies in one day than I would eat in one year. Jason (Notsofas!) is a good cookie pusher...
Ron (TxTiger) and David (Cagiva549) went out of their way to feed us. Today's double breakfast was fantastic. Dinner last night was also very good with excellent choices. But I am sure, I missed an incredible looking brisket that Ron had been cooking all night...

Here is a view of the site in the morning:

601F4AD0-CB74-4F74-9A6A-AE44E89E46AB_zps3gfrcika.jpg

It will be interesting to hear how things went tonight when more campers were scheduled to arrive including the legendary night riders from a previous camp....

Enjoyed seeing friends and meeting new ones.

Thanks Hardy!
:clap:

Re: Memorial Day weekend campout at my place.

Thanks Hardy!
Awesome. It was great to see everyone.

Hardy, what a wonderful place you have, thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. What a great weekend..

Hardy, thanks for hosting such a great weekend!!!!!

Dave & others...thanks for rustling up such great grub

Andre telling us how big it was...
Between your fingers? Or between your thumbs and fingers?
u3a3asap.jpg

Looks like a beautiful place. I was lurking this thread and planned to come up but got sidetracked to the beach yesterday and the crabs kept me there for two days. Hope there is a next time.

_

Thanks again for a generous Hardy to share his beautiful place with all of us!
It was a blast! Or should I say a "Splash"!

Attachments

• 2014-05-24 19.15.04.jpg
    2014-05-24 19.15.04.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 2014-05-24 19.14.52.jpg
    2014-05-24 19.14.52.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 2014-05-23 19.17.34.jpg
    2014-05-23 19.17.34.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 2014-05-23 16.39.27.jpg
    2014-05-23 16.39.27.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 2014-05-23 15.46.35.jpg
    2014-05-23 15.46.35.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 229
:tab We had a great time... except for getting a nasty sun burn on top of my head! I sure miss having hair up there! :doh: Anayway, the ambiance, food, and company were all wonderful. The kids had a blast. We truly appreciate being able to take a break from our routines to relax and enjoy friends at such a great location.

:tab Beth and I arrived with the kids just before dark and with enough time to set up the tents. Not long after we got the kids put away for the night and joined everyone else around the campfire until the wee hours... As is most often the case, I did not sleep well and morning arrived FAR too soon. It did not help that Daniel had his alarm set for 6:00 freaking AM!! :huh2: I managed to find that and shut if off, then rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. In what seemed like only a few moments later, the girls come running over to the tent yelling at me to wake up! :huh2: Well, it was obvious I was not going to sleep well enough to make a difference so I rolled out to greet the day and have some really good breakfast sausage courtesy of Cagiva Dave :drool:

:tab Unlike the bikes, which were mostly BMW's it seemed, there was an amazing variety of tents. So...

The "Women's" tent, shared by Beth, Sarah, Rachel and Debbie (Snoopster)
SVF_7026.jpg

Jamie, Rebecca (Squeaky) and Opie's tent (Opie is the dog)
SVF_7027.jpg

Rusty's (Woodbutcher) Garagemajal
SVF_7029.jpg

The view from his tent
SVF_7030.jpg

Sarah found a patch of Passion flowers
SVF_7033.jpg

Jamie and Becca's tent, pre doggie door modification by Opie :lol2:
SVF_7036.jpg

Donnie's (fjrtx) tent? I am pretty sure that SPOTLESS GS behind it is his ;-)
SVF_7037.jpg

Ron's (ThumperTX) tent and GS800
SVF_7038.jpg

This monster tent belongs to Jeff (4JRanch) and Lynn. The picture actually makes it look smaller than it is :-P
SVF_7039.jpg

The small addition to the side is for Carson, their grandson. He slept ALL night!
SVF_7040.jpg

Steve's (RockmanTx) trailer! Very cool.
SVF_7041.jpg

Not to be out done, this is Hardy's trailer with all manner of reflective ropes and stuff. You should see this thing at night!! :cool2:
SVF_7042.jpg

The fire pit with everyone gathered in the background for breakfast: fried biscuits, sausage and eggs.
SVF_7043.jpg

Andre's trailer
SVF_7044.jpg

My humble abode, which I shared with Daniel
SVF_7045.jpg

No idea whose this is, but I have never seen that particular kind of tent
SVF_7047.jpg

Again, no clue whose, but I have at least seen this one (online)
SVF_7048.jpg

Sarah modeling with Kenneth's (Hizzo) BIG tent
SVF_7049.jpg

No clue and I've never seen this one either, looks cramped...
SVF_7050.jpg

Forget the tent, dig that bike!!! (oh, the tent is an MSR Hubba Hubba) This belongs to TxTiger
SVF_7051.jpg

This also belongs to Ron (TxTiger), a pretty cool setup
SVF_7052.jpg

Camillo (cdc)
SVF_7053.jpg

Jamie (whose username I can NEVER remember :shrug:)
SVF_7054.jpg

Al (Moose)
SVF_7055.jpg

This would be the elusive Rebecca (Squeaky), who used to be spotted everywhere snatching rides on other people's bikes but is now only rarely seen :-P
SVF_7056.jpg

Beth and Rachel
SVF_7058.jpg

Josie, who belongs to Curtis, who works for Hardy to make and keep this place so nice! (Curtis is in for a WORLD of trouble when she hits dating age!!)
SVF_7059.jpg

Dave (Cagiva549) doing his thing and working on lunch already
SVF_7060.jpg

Hardy helping out with the cooking
SVF_7061.jpg

Daniel (my son) bottom left, the two above him are Al and his son Sam, then cdc, Opie (dog), Jamie and Rebecca
SVF_7063.jpg

Hardy and his beautiful wife Denise
SVF_7065.jpg

Dave making gravy for the biscuits
SVF_7066.jpg

Dave's daughter, Cindy, on the left helped with a lot of the food prep and she informed me that she's the better cook :-P :cool2:
SVF_7067.jpg

So the kids waited until maybe... 15 minutes after I woke up to ask me if they could go swimming... I think it might have been 8:00am... maybe... :brainsnap

Josie and Daniel racing to the boat dock. She's fast...
SVF_7068.jpg

But he starts catching up to her...
SVF_7069.jpg

Sarah beat both of them!
SVF_7072.jpg

Lots of kayaks for putting around the lake
SVF_7073.jpg

The view from the dock
SVF_7074.jpg

The boat dock was still on land and under construction the last time I visited. It is really nice and the kids really enjoy using it for swimming...
SVF_7075.jpg

And jumping in the water... "On 3!"
SVF_7076.jpg

Well... except for my little cowards! :doh: :lol2:
SVF_7077.jpg

SVF_7078.jpg

They decide to "test" the water first... (I should have tossed them in for making Josie go alone!)
SVF_7079.jpg

They eventually get in a bit at a time, then Rachel comes to see what's going on
SVF_7081.jpg

SVF_7082.jpg

Trying that whole jumping off thing again... Josie is going before I even hit 3 :lol2:
SVF_7085.jpg

He never had any intent to go... Sarah masters the belly flop... As always, Josie gets the distance award!
SVF_7086.jpg

Sarah
SVF_7094.jpg

Jamie decides to try out one of the Kayaks...
SVF_7095.jpg

with Opie the reluctant passenger! It took Daniel giving him that "extra" push to get him in the boat :lol2:
SVF_7096.jpg

Rachel decides the others are having too much fun without her and decides to give it a try with encouragement from the others.
SVF_7098.jpg

She never ventures far from the ladder, which is fine with Daddy ;-)
SVF_7102.jpg

Sarah trying to hitch a ride with Jamie and Opie
SVF_7099.jpg

Opie manages not to fall in despite his precarious perch on the front of the boat
SVF_7103.jpg

Rusty decides to try his had at the kayaking thing
SVF_7105.jpg

Jamie tormenting Opie by trying to get him to jump in and swim.
SVF_7106.jpg

Opie is having NONE of it! Until he gets an extra little push...!
SVF_7107.jpg

:tab I should have kept taking pictures, but the dog was wigging out and trying to climb back in the boat. I wasn't sure if Jamie and the boat were about to capsize and I might have to lend a hand. Opie did eventually manage to swim the short distance to the shore and give everyone a good shakedown shower. He never got near a boat after that...

Curtis (Josie's Dad) and Hardy
SVF_7108.jpg

Hardy said something about dog snacks in his boots... This guy got his head WAY down in those boots but kept coming up empty :shrug:
SVF_7109.jpg

Daniel and Hardy took pity on him and helped him out
SVF_7110.jpg

I'll have to let Hardy tell you how he met the guy in the middle, a cool small world story.
SVF_7111.jpg

Sarah decided she needed to try the kayaks
SVF_7116.jpg

and she gets the hang of it pretty quick, zooming all over the lake
SVF_7117.jpg

:tab A little before lunch time Mark "Gravel Guy" Drumm and his crew show up. The last week for their family has been a nightmare after the accidental death of his younger brother. I was a bit surprised to see them, but I am glad they came. It was good visiting with him and I think they had a good time, which they no doubt really needed. They brought more kayaks and more kids :clap:

I think the floating head in the center is Mark
SVF_7118.jpg

Sarah still at it...
SVF_7119.jpg

This is Andre's stove - The BioLite Stove
SVF_7120.jpg

:tab I've never seen anything like it. It burns small branches. There is a small blower down in it that gets the air moving so it burns pretty hot. But, it also has a thingy on the side that converts heat to electricity and has a USB output that he uses to charge his cell phone. That white chord is the phone chord. How cool is that? I think the Altoid can contains cotton balls permeated with Vaseline for use as fire starters.

Daniel saw Sarah do it, so...
SVF_7121.jpg

He has to sit forward to clear the width of the boat while paddling and is soon zooming around just like she was
SVF_7122.jpg

SVF_7123.jpg

SVF_7125.jpg

Josie gets to do this all the time since she lives so close by and comes over with Curtis, she's a pro
SVF_7128.jpg

Jeff and his grandson, Carson
SVF_7124.jpg

Not content to pilot the small kayak...
SVF_7129.jpg

:tab Daniel made it from the dock all the way over to the camping area and managed to reach the shore. He was trying to get turned around so he could paddle back to the dock. What he failed to grasp was that it was the WIND that got him across the lake. It was blowing pretty good and I could see that he couldn't paddle hard enough to overcome it. So in a fit of insanity I got in the boat and had him sit behind me while I paddled back to the dock. That was a mistake...

:tab After a recent trip to Arizona at the end of April, my left shoulder started bothering me and has only gotten worse since then. One of the muscles from the scapula to the head of the shoulder is inflamed and rubbing on the rotator cuff. I can barely lift the arm more than 45 degrees from my side. But you know... paddling is a pulling action, not a lifting action... right!? :doh: Well, needless to say, when I reached the dock I was regretting the ride, but Daniel sure enjoyed it, so it was worth it. But I declined when Sarah and Rachel started asking me to give them rides :nono:

Carson has missed his afternoon nap :-P
SVF_7130.jpg

There is just too much going on for him to miss!!
SVF_7131.jpg

Sippy makes it all better :chug:
SVF_7132.jpg

Erik (Rainmaker) shows up about lunch time. No, that is NOT a kilt. He's wearing shorts ;-) But if it WAS a kilt, I think he could pull it off if he had a horned helmet and sword :lol2:
SVF_7134.jpg

Steve disappeared early in the day only to reappear on his GS. Apparently some new KLR farkles arrived earlier than expected at the house so he scooted over to Bryan to play with them.
SVF_7135.jpg

If you like flames, you gotta like this! One of the best flame jobs I've seen!
SVF_7138.jpg

Hardy and Ray discussing the finer points of flames and hacks
SVF_7139.jpg

He wisely went back to the smaller and lower profiled kayak :thumb:
SVF_7140.jpg

SVF_7141.jpg

Dave takes a break from cooking... for a short while...
SVF_7142.jpg

Debbie (Snoopster) and Erik (Rainmaker)
SVF_7143.jpg

Dinner... well, at least for some folks... Just the smell of them makes me :puke:
SVF_7144.jpg

This one is holding on for dear life... literally :lol2:
SVF_7149.jpg

It doesn't work out like he planned :doh:
SVF_7150.jpg

Curtis relaxing while waiting for dinner
SVF_7151.jpg

Dave's son in law chowing on the mud bugs
SVF_7152.jpg

Different strokes for different folks...
SVF_7153.jpg

For the mud bug aversive crowd... incredible brisket and pork roast :drool:
SVF_7154.jpg

More folk showed up for dinner
SVF_7155.jpg

SVF_7156.jpg

It must have been a good ride. It took him three Shiners to come down off of it, or did he fill the Camel-Bak with them :wary: :-P
SVF_7157.jpg

Dave (Ouroboros) and Steve (Tripp)
SVF_7158.jpg

Jamie and Donnie (fjrtx)
SVF_7159.jpg

Rusty (Woodbutcher), Al's (Moose) son Sam, and Kenneth (Hizzo)
SVF_7160.jpg

Steve (RockmanTx), Rick (RickM) and Al (Moose)
SVF_7161.jpg

Caroline (KamLeeR) and Ron (ThumperTX)
SVF_7162.jpg

Ron (TxTiger)
SVF_7163.jpg

Gaylan (she goes with Andre), Katie (Woodbutcher's daughter), Nina (really Negaar, and she goes with Hizzo), Sarah, Katie's friend, Daniel and Rocket, one of the many dogs that got along amazingly well with each other the whole time.
SVF_7165.jpg

:tab And that's all folks!

:tab I tried to visit with as many different folks as I could, which is why I am having such a hard time remembering names. I have a two register FIFO brain. So it is usually the last two things I learn that I can remember :doh: If you want me to remember your name, make sure you are one of the last two people I speak with before I leave :-P I tried to get as many shots of people as I could, but amazingly I still missed quite a few, including Jeff's wife Lynn who I was around fairly often all day :shrug: I was too busy visiting with Mark to think of getting shots of his clan. Pictures just weren't on the brain at that time. There was also a couple touring the world two up on a KLR, he from Italy and her from Russia. They were basically accidental guests through the twists of fate and fellow riders lending a helping hand. We had people from Japan, Iran, South Africa and Canada as well.

:tab We hung around until about dark-thirty before rounding up the crew and heading for home. I had to be back Saturday night so I could take over being on 24 hr call for work. My Dad graciously covered for me Friday night and Saturday so I could camp out Friday with Beth and the kids and then hang out with everyone on Saturday. The kids were worn out and barely managed to stay awake for fifteen minutes or so by excitedly chattering about all the fun they had. Even Sarah, who normally stays up way too late like me, was out cold by 10:00pm. I lasted maybe another thirty minutes before I too was out cold :sleep:

:tab I really enjoy this kind of event. I like that I can bring the whole family and not have to worry about inappropriate stuff for the kids. I like that I actually get time to just visit with folks without feeling like I am rushed for time. I enjoy the Pie Runs and other similar events, but people come and go so fast at those that it is hard to spend more than a few minutes at most talking with them. That is barely enough time to get my brain to realize there is information coming in that I would eventually like stored somewhere that might be reasonably accessible some time in the future. I like that it is just a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. I like how folks come together to help and get things done. I like how so many people from so many places and so many different backgrounds can come together as friends and enjoy exploring our differences rather than drawing lines and building fences because of them. I like that someday, years to come, we and our kids will look back on events like this and they will be fond memories. Let's face it. Life can be hard. We all need to store up as many good memories as possible to buoy us for those inevitable times we'd rather forget after we've been through them. To that end, thanks to everyone that attended and made this weekend such fun! :thumb:

Last edited:
the guy in the guzzi shirt is Moose. he is the one selling the black '07 KLR and rides a really nice Stelvio. cool guy.

looks like a REALLY good time. i hate missing things like this...

the guy in the guzzi shirt is Moose. he is the one selling the black '07 KLR and rides a really nice Stelvio. cool guy.

looks like a REALLY good time. i hate missing things like this...

AKA as Al.

Great pictures and comments Scott!

Looks like a great time! Hardy and Co. are very generous!

Thank you for letting us live through another awesome Hardie camp via your photos Scott. Memorial Day weekend was wide open, until I found out that one of my heroes in the fire service had his retirement saturday afternoon. Add to that a couple kids in law birthday events and it was done. Next time, because that swimming dock sure looks inviting...

Happy Memorial Day everyone.

What a great way to spend Memorial Day weekend camping with friends in such a beautiful place. Food, weather and fun was excellent. Thanks for the many weeks of work put into this Hardy it is much appreciated. Special thanks to Ron (txtiger) David (cagiva549) and family for the many hours of preparing food.

Donnie

CHILI & i wish we had been able to join in on the festivities

many thanks to HARDY for throwing/hosting the event

and many thanks to SCOTT for bringing it to those of us, who couldn't make it

sw & CHILI

Great pictures Scott! Hardy, you are a generous giving spirit. I wish I could have made it, but my 1930 pup tent is not very comfortable. It looks like a good dousing of rain has arrived.

:clap:

Cheers,

RB

looks like all had a good time. Hardy from what i can see you have a nice setup there. wish i could have came out. weather was great this weekend up till today's rains. Maybe i can make the next event you graciously hosts. I would have felt out of place with my travel trailer

:tab We never had any rain while we were there Friday evening through Saturday evening. Did any roll through after we left? I was thinking as I was leaving and driving back up that hill to the drive way that if it were very wet, it would be a tough drive for most of the cars/trucks and the RV... :ponder:

Rain, What rain. Me and Clingon (Gaylen) stayed over until Monday morn, left at about 10 and had maybe a spoonful of rain all the way back to Fort Worth.
It was so wonderful to meet all the people we barely see and finally I met Tourmaster too. To confess, I don't realy like kids but man, was this an eye opener. My appreciation to all the parents and grandparents (I know Jeff and Lynne is way too young for the role) who had the best behaved kids I've seen in ages. Even went fishing with a couple. The cooks made such tasty food and LOTS off it and nobody ran out of beer, 'shine and whiskey and other assorted concoctions. I feel blessed to have met all of yu I did not know before and to see old (no pun intended) friends again. Thanks Hardy and Denise for your hospitality and I will not miss any future campouts.
It was a blast.

Ahhhh!!! Denise, Denise, Denise... Must remember!!

Back