• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mena to Hot Springs DS Loop - Sat & Sun 5/30-5/31

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
We're planning a loop ride from Mena to Hot Springs and back on 5/30 and 5/31. The forecast has improved and it looks like the sun will be out and temps in the 60's to 80's. We want to catch a good trip to Arkansas before the heat sets in.

We'd love to have company, so below are the ride details.

There is no cost and we're not organizing anything special other than publishing the route and our planned lodging info. We may organize a group dinner if there is interest. GPX file available at the link here. May count out if downloaded a bunch. PM me if you have any trouble.

Mena_HotSprings_2020_Google_Maps_Route-L.jpg

Schedule
Friday 5/29
-Travel to Mena, Arkansas
Saturday 5/30
-stands up at 8:30am from Mena Mountain Top Cabins
-Mena to Hot Springs
Sunday 5/31
-stands up at 8:30am from Embassy Suites parking lot
-Hot Springs to Mena
-return home

Sleeping
-Friday 5/29: Mena Mountain Top Cabins
-Saturday 5/30: Embassy Suites Hot Springs

There are many other options in Mena and Hot Springs if these fill up, aren't your cup of tea, or if you want to camp. Post up with questions.

The Embassy Suites has boss bike parking

IMG_1068-L.jpg

Fuel
Our fuel range is ~120 miles. We expect to fill up once between Mena and Hot Springs each day. There are a few gas stations, but don't pass one up. We won't...plus, we have little bladders. Gas stations are marked on the .gpx file.

Food
We will pack food for breakfast Saturday and trail lunches. We will do dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday morning in Hot Springs. I spoke with Alisha at the Embassy Suites and they still provide breakfast, but the scale depends on how full they are onany given night. They are not doing their usual happy hour, but seemed to be running normally otherwise.

Weather
Forecast for Mena as of Mon 5/25 is sunshine on Saturday with a low of 58 and a high of 78. Sunday is 54-79 with more sun. Fingers crossed it stays that way!!

Bike
I'll be on a KTM 690 and Heather will be on a KTM 350. This ride is generally big bike friendly, but expect a few mud holes, some 2 track, and a few "that's a road!?". Heather jokes that it's not a road "if you have to pick a line". Most of this will be road.

99% of the ride is on roads like this or better...

IMG_1181-L.jpg

...and much of it is graded gravel:

IMG_1020-L.jpg

Some fun to be had...

IMG_1022-L.jpg

Map and GPS

Arkansas has relatively good signage, but it is important to have a paper map or GPS device. A .gpx file of our planned route is linked above. We've ridden much of this before, but there is always opportunity for adventure. You should read that as closures, downed trees, washouts, blocked roads, getting lost on a goat trail, etc. etc. etc. Remember to ride your own ride and be prepared for flats, minor breakdowns, and other story worthy derailments.

Google map of the route.

IMG_1007-L.jpg

Edit: We've shifted from red to orange. These photos are from the last time we did this ride.

All links

Google Map

.gpx file <-- updated a couple lines below

Friday night lodging - Mena Mountain Top Cabins

Saturday night lodging - Embassy Suites Hot Springs

Updated GPX file: .gpx file v2

Last edited:
I would love to do this ride, but leaving for vacation this weekend.

Have fun.

"Me too. Sounds so fun, but prepping for NM trip...."

We would be joining you guys in NM, but the timing didn't work. Enjoy!!

Update: .gpx file posted and google map of the route linked. Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day with friends and family.

Oh my, my heart is all a tither. I'm going to have to see if I can make this happen. 2WheelNut to the white courtesy phone!

Last edited:
Oh my, my heart is all a tither. I'm going to have to see if I can make this happen. 2WheelNut to the white courtesy phone!

PigTrail, btw I didn't see the link.

Links are sprinkled throughout like breadcrumbs, but i added them all at the bottom of the 1st post too. :thumb:

Which route is on Sunday?

The southern, shorter route, ~99 miles, is on Sunday. This gives us all a chance to get home at a reasonable time.

Also, the area north of the lake and east of Story is beautiful and has lots of spurs to explore that loop back to the intended route. We may explore some of these if making good time. It's always a bit tough to plan as the "track" might measure 136 miles for Saturday, but the actual on the ground path is likely 5% to 10% longer due to its curvy nature (i hope).

Just to clarify - I had my dates off. This ride is Saturday and Sunday, May 30th and 31st. We will drive up to Mena Fri evening and depart Saturday morning. Ride Sat & Sun.

Any idea how the roads will be after the rain this week? East Texas mud bad?
I doubt I’ll be able to make it on such short notice but I’m trying to pull something together. I’d be on a 690 from Houston area.

Any idea how the roads will be after the rain this week? East Texas mud bad?
I doubt I’ll be able to make it on such short notice but I’m trying to pull something together. I’d be on a 690 from Houston area.
Steve and I have ridden after heavy rain and the roads up there do pretty well. There will be some mud puddles but the bottoms are solid and it's not too bad about gumming up the tires.

Biggest problem we have had is working our way around swollen stream crossings, but we have always found a way.

In general,.rain up there doesn't ruin it. It handles it well.

Without more significant rain, streams should be down.

Looks like Steve and I are in. Just made reservations for Friday and Saturday. Same place Friday, different hotel for Saturday as I can basically stay free in a Marriott property with points so I grabbed the TownePlace Suites.

Looks like Steve and I are in. Just made reservations for Friday and Saturday. Same place Friday, different hotel for Saturday as I can basically stay free in a Marriott property with points so I grabbed the TownePlace Suites.
What are y'all riding? Big or small bike.

@BornAgain and I will be joining y’all. We’ll probably play sweep for everybody considering @MacDaddy reputation around here.
Got reservations at the Mountain Top Cabins and Embassy Suites in Hot Springs.
Good idea, don't fall into trap of trying to keep up and ruin your weekend! lol.

Back