• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mena to Hot Springs 'n Back - A Dual Sport Loop

You guys are awesome. I’d love to join you for the next attempt. But I’ll bring the little bike. Am I good for the rest of the loop?
You’ll be fine! Polk RD 70 probably isn’t very Big Bike Friendly! But you mentioned You were a Modest B Rider (moderate off-roader or something to that effect, so your probably Sand Bagging.. LOL!)
so you would probably Kill It and Be Smiling the Whole Time!

I made the whole ride on a 690 without a scratch and am below average rider compared to those I’ve ridden with on this site. The Mena to Hot Springs would have been less fun for me to ride on a bigger bike with my skill level. The 2nd day Hot Springs to Mena was big bike paradise I’m sure.

Yeah, I'd love to do that route again on my 450. I suspect "Cherry Hill" would be a lot of fun on that bike. Aside from that section, the rest was fine on my Tiger 900.

Kinda bummed I didn't make the return route with y'all. Didn't think I had enough endurance to do the dirt + another 400 miles of pavement home.

Yeah, I'd love to do that route again on my 450. I suspect "Cherry Hill" would be a lot of fun on that bike. Aside from that section, the rest was fine on my Tiger 900.

Kinda bummed I didn't make the return route with y'all. Didn't think I had enough endurance to do the dirt + another 400 miles of pavement home.
It was all I had to stay awake driving home to Houston. You made the right decision or would have needed to stay an extra night.

It is only about 270 from Mena, so not as bad as the 400 from Hot Springs.

Still, though, I can understand not wanting to take all that on.

Always a compromise as to whether or not to trailer. It kind of feels like more of an adventure when you ride from home but it takes more time and sometimes takes away from riding longer where you are going.

What's funny is I trailered on the Mena to Hot Springs ride but I just rode to the middle of Missouri for Adventure Palooza and ended up riding 800+ miles home after it was over.

I think I should have ridden to Mena and trailered to Missouri... but honestly, I have fun doing either so it's all good.

Hi folks.

I just got back from riding your loop (but skipped that Polk 70 section without bothering to check it out). I really enjoyed it!! Thanks to the OP for the .gpx files. I loved it so much I just camped in the woods on the Southern part of the loop.

I’ll be watching if you put another group ride together.

Thanks for the advice!

A few years ago we did a version of this loop in February on a “nice” weather weekend. I think we delayed the start each day until 9:30 or 10 to let the temps rise a bit. Highs in the 50’s with sun are usually perfect. Cold weather adds an element of anxiety to the water crossing though!!

Will be eyeing the weather forecast for a winter run.

A few years ago we did a version of this loop in February on a “nice” weather weekend. I think we delayed the start each day until 9:30 or 10 to let the temps rise a bit. Highs in the 50’s with sun are usually perfect. Cold weather adds an element of anxiety to the water crossing though!!

Will be eyeing the weather forecast for a winter run.
I asked Santa Claus for heated gear so this could feel like a May trip in February for me.

You don't give yourself enough credit! Pretty gnarly going down huh!
Agree he doesn't give himself enough credit..

It's all perspective I guess.

For me, down would have been easier.

The lower edges of the rocks were more defined because of erosion. Going up, you hit that hard, defined edge and it's pretty hard on the bike. Going down would be dropping off multiple 2 to 4 inch ledges with some loose rock in there as well. Pretty sure it would be a ton smoother.

Also, the hard part about going up was keeping enough speed to be stable without stalling and yet slow enough to not beat up the bike. Going down you could do this with braking and it would be easier to control.

Last edited:
Back