• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mesh vs. Textile

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
I returned to motorcycle riding just over one year ago. My first bike, a V Star 650, quickly became the wrong bike for me. I switched to a 2014 Tenere and have found great enjoyment in this class bike. In 2019, I found 90% of my riding was pavement and 10% little more than logging roads, some low water crossings. Examples of off-road riding would be the Texas 500, or TARA monthly rides on Saturday. I believe 2020 will be the same.

As is now, I had a limited budget in the beginning. My wife, who wasn’t in the same place as me regarding the decision to return to motorcycling, demanded I choose a better than the basic helmet. It seems I do recall her mumbling something about cheaper helmets and how she might be over with my foolishness? Perhaps I should leave that for another time.

Anyways, a wise decision to choose a better than basic helmet as I put the HJC to test in my first six months of riding. Thumbs up the HJC.

I did choose an inexpensive Joe Rocket mesh coat with vest, rain liner, and matching mesh pants. This choice served me well and I’ve been pretty happy with this gear. However, the zipper in the coat has failed. Replacement of the jacket and pants is necessary.

My two negative points with mesh can be directly related to the product I chose: the zipper failing, surely the result of the inexpensive line. And temperatures at 50 degrees or below requires exceptional thermal layers.

As I review replacement options, I’m divided and uncertain. Mesh, or textiles.

What are your thoughts?

I have and use both depending on the weather... and even then i most always layer as well, because it's easier to remove gear and stow when you get hot...

I returned to motorcycle riding just over one year ago. My first bike, a V Star 650, quickly became the wrong bike for me. I switched to a 2014 Tenere and have found great enjoyment in this class bike. In 2019, I found 90% of my riding was pavement and 10% little more than logging roads, some low water crossings. Examples of off-road riding would be the Texas 500, or TARA monthly rides on Saturday. I believe 2020 will be the same.

As is now, I had a limited budget in the beginning. My wife, who wasn’t in the same place as me regarding the decision to return to motorcycling, demanded I choose a better than the basic helmet. It seems I do recall her mumbling something about cheaper helmets and how she might be over with my foolishness? Perhaps I should leave that for another time.

Anyways, a wise decision to choose a better than basic helmet as I put the HJC to test in my first six months of riding. Thumbs up the HJC.

I did choose an inexpensive Joe Rocket mesh coat with vest, rain liner, and matching mesh pants. This choice served me well and I’ve been pretty happy with this gear. However, the zipper in the coat has failed. Replacement of the jacket and pants is necessary.

My two negative points with mesh can be directly related to the product I chose: the zipper failing, surely the result of the inexpensive line. And temperatures at 50 degrees or below requires exceptional thermal layers.

As I review replacement options, I’m divided and uncertain. Mesh, or textiles.

What are your thoughts?

If you’re planning to ride in Texas year round, you’ll kinda want a summer and a winter outfit. Maybe you can make due with 1 pair of pants, but 2 jackets seems reasonable.

Some people claim wearing textile in the hot months is best because it keeps the heat off you.

What size are you? I seem to have many jackets, some of them given to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have and use both depending on the weather... and even then i most always layer as well, because it's easier to remove gear and stow when you get hot...
What he said!

Sign up for the MotorcycleGear.com emails, they have some pretty good deals sometimes. And you will always be wondering if you really "need" another jacket, pants, helmet, gloves or whatever.

I’ve gone to using a First Gear Jaunt textile jacket for year round use. Lots of vents keep things reasonably cool in the summer and with the liner in it works for riding this time of year. I do have two pair of overpants, one mesh and one textile, both First Gear. Good gloves are a must. Brand? I buy what fits. I have a Shoei Neotec II helmet after crash testing two HJCs. I ride a 2017 Super Tenere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Some people claim wearing textile in the hot months is best because it keeps the heat off you.
Hi. You rang? :trust:

Karl, I'm a long distance rider, and as such I wear textile (Aerostich) 99% of the time. I might wear a mesh jacket for a local ride of 20 miles or less if the temps are in the 80s, but that's pretty much it. We see our jackets and pants as just part of a "system" designed to keep us cooler or warmer as the case may be. This starts with base layers designed to wick moisture away from the body in the summer to keeping the body warmer in the winter (same gear), but adding on electric heat to supplement the system.

Being in the arid southwest my system of choice works VERY well. In the more humid area that you live in, the base layer (LD Comfort) works well while you're in motion but can be warm when you're stuck in stop and go traffic.

But to Dahveed's point, the more you can keep the hot air AWAY from your skin, the better off you will be while riding. Temps in the 70s and 80s are decent with mesh, but once you're touching 90 you really need to be looking to keep the wind off of you.

I can pontificate on end about the subject but I don't want to bore you any more than I have. Join us in the LD Riding sub-forum and peruse the Resources thread for more details: https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/ld-riding-resources.118741/

I'm obviously the wrong guy to ask. I have two leather jackets, one long one short, for casual cool weather riding. I have a one piece Roadcrafter for multi day tours or real cold riding, and a Darien Light for summer riding. To try and pick one all rounder would be very difficult, because I love leather, but I guess it would be the Darien light which could be supplemented with under layers or even an electric vest.
Mesh has never worked for me, if it's that hot out I'd rather have the insulation of a textile to keep the air off my chest and just let strategically placed vents channel under my armpits and exhaust out the back.

Dave.

I wear both. My summer jacket is always a mesh with max flow-through. My winter coat is a big, heavy, fabric Tourmaster with a zip-in quilted liner. My feet will freeze & break off before I get cold under that jacket.

But for moderate or cool weather, and for most touring, my Tourmaster Flex 3 is perfect, and it's a hybrid. The base jacket is mesh, and is surprisingly cool & comfortable on hot days. It has a substantial, waterproof, fabric shell that zips over the main jacket for rainy or cool days. Actually, with a sweater underneath, that combination is good down to the low 40s. The final layer is a zip-in quilted liner. I don't use it much because it feels bulky, but it keeps me plenty warm. You'll find plenty of other similar jackets in other brands, but that particular configuration can be found in several Tourmasters, and it is practical and versatile. I prefer fabric zip-over rain shells to those cheap, plastic zip-in liners; they make me sweat in warm weather, and provide little warmth when it's cool.

It is about controlling heat gain vs. evaporative cooling. The iron butt hot weather riding guide explains this very clearly: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf (#5 Texas T's list posted above).

The gear you wear and the type of bike you ride both have a huge influence on that. If you ride a bike that has excellent wind isolation control, you might find that mesh might work better even when it's over 95F and high humidity. This is the case with the sport touring bikes I ride (e.g. K1600GT, Trophy SE, etc.) On the other hand, if you ride a naked bike, the gear you have on becomes that much more critical, because that become your ONLY means of controlling heat gain and evaporative cooling. The Tenere is somewhat in-between. It has some ability to control wind blast, but you'll have to rely on your gear for a good part of it.

Here in just about any part of TX, there really is no way a single set of riding gear that would work well year round. You can find a set that work acceptably well, it'll be a compromise that isn't great for any season. If you absolutely can only afford one jacket, a mesh one with both rain layer and thermal layer is probably your best bet.

This project has been nearly as detailed as when I purchased my motorcycle!

The iron butt article was very helpful, even though I had to read through it twice. Thanks MLC.

As I drew closer to making a purchase. I was had hoped to deal with someone local. Once I began discussing the alternate brands, sizes, materials, ship, return, re-ship, re-return with Cycle Gear. The conversations began get cold. It was as if they were handing me my helmet and showing me the door. If I don't want what's on the rack, then... maybe i should be shopping somewhere else.

Revzilla is happy to ship, return, re-ship, re-return, as often as I like. So long as I do not ride with any of the items. Which seems fair.

Setting my first order tonight. I'm going to start with the Firstgear Jaunt jacket.

Cycle Gear is okay (supporting local b&m whenever reasonable), but folks here have spoken praise of Moto Liberty in Dallas. Maybe a day trip will get you all set up.

Rocky Mountain Arc textiles jacket has been great. Great quality value cetera. They give you a do-over too if you order the wrong size. The one I bought is well armored too.

Good luck

I've been on Rocky mountain site one other time. How does the ARC fit? As expected? According to the fit chart?

I've been through a number of jackets. I've currently got a couple from Rev-It. A Sand 3 textile and, iirc, a Tornado 2 mesh. Basically textile in winter, mesh in summer. If it's going to be over 93-95 outside I typically don't ride much past noon, if at all. Those sorts of temps are when you need to go back to textile to keep the heat out. I've done it. It's miserable. Probably in large part due to the humidity down here. Might be different in a dry heat.

I've been on Rocky mountain site one other time. How does the ARC fit? As expected? According to the fit chart?
As compared to the mesh jacket i have I think its stiff feeling (due to material) but really, it gives me a sense of high protection due to the high wind shielding. There are multiple zip up air vents too. I remember I ended up returning my first size selection and ordered the next size up. I'm getting fat again so it's getting a bit tight but that's another story.

I would buy again due to features and great value as compared to the big buck jackets you see north of $300. You will see the quality the moment you open the box.

Last edited:
Update on my progress...

I've tried pulling together a road trip to Moto Liberty. To many things have blocked that from happening and I'm running out of time.

I decided to order the 3x A.R.C Battle Born Adventure jacket from Rocky Mountain. The price mark was in the ballpark. Some negative points, but those were items that wouldn't have impacted me. Like the small bladder pouch on the back. It is so small, a conventional bladder will not fit. One review questioned the small size was intended to limit the bladder volume. The added weight in the back pulls down on the back of the jacket.

It arrived the yesterday.

Jacket seems well made for its price point. Double stitching, armor, good zippers. Some reviews stated the zippers leak. I watched eveRide ADV youtube review. If a zipper leak reaches a point it's becoming an annoyance? It's probably time to find someplace to get off the road. If you watch eveRide ADV youtube, jump to 4:30 and you will see what I mean.

It turns out my chest is 3x, but my belly is decidedly larger. No matter how many times I tried, too snug around the gut. I even tried with liner removed and no 1st layer. No go...

The sleeves are long too. As if cut for a tall 3x. Not so long I couldn't work around it. But long enough there would be times I might regret it. Like trying to make repairs with a tool in my hand.

I'm took advantage of Rocky Mountains no charge return policy and exchanging the ARC for Alpinestars Vence Drystar. the 3x. ARC doesn't come in a 4x. The Alpinestar is nearly $100 more then the ARC. Should be here on the 16th.

Rocky Mountain ATVMC? I've bought tires & a few things from them. Their prices are competitive and they seem to be pretty easy to work with. Hope the jacket works out.

They have amazing customer service
I've spent thousands with them over the years, returned or exchanged a dozen products and when compared to other offroad oriented online retailers they have the best prices.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've got variety, but honestly I've had great luck with Joe rocket stuff. I've replaced it due to age, never had problems. So Mesh for summer, textile for not summer, and recently bought leather. I must say the leather just feels nicer than textile. I forgot what a good leather jacket feels like.

I pack a heated jacket when touring in summer. It allows mesh and when the temp drops I can put it on to compensate. It also allows for a warmish ride days like today and a lighter jacket for the ride home.

Update.... As mentioned in previous post. The ARC 3x didn't fit around the belly.

Tried an Alpinestars Vence Drystar 4x, it fit tighter then the ARC.

Came across the Oxford Montreal 3.0 army green jacket in 5x. Ordered it through Rocky Mountain. It was a special order so took a little while getting here.

The Oxford fits well. Comes with shoulder and elbow armor but no back armor. The back pad from the Joe Rocket fits just fine. This jacket fits good, seems to be well made. Several vents that do seem to move air. Very happy with this purchase at $216 including tax.

Really like the army green color and decided to find a set of matching pants. Wasn't easy finding a 5x army green. Noting on the web that wasn't charging $85 in shipping (Oxford is manufactured in England). I made a few phone calls to shops here in the US listed as distributors. They were quoting $200+
with shipping. Decided the extra $$$ wasn't worth the trouble and planned to stick with something basic in black I could find in the US.

About two weeks after speaking with a location out of Tennessee, one of the Oxford distributors, they gave me a call. Said they had mistakenly ordered the pants and were now stuck with them. If I wanted, I could have them for $165 including shipping, and tax. I agreed.

Tried everything out today. It was 64 degrees. The jacket vents do lower the temp at the vent locations. One at each wrist, right and left chest, and two in the back. The jacket does seem to "hike up" a little during the ride. Still, it's a long jacket and this "hiking" doesn't expose my back. The pants have one set of vents near the knees, As you might expect. Not a lot of air movement. After the ride, my knees and crotch were wet with sweat.

Think I'm good to go for the 2020 season. Thanks for everyone's input.

Update.... As mentioned in previous post. The ARC 3x didn't fit around the belly.

Tried an Alpinestars Vence Drystar 4x, it fit tighter then the ARC.

Came across the Oxford Montreal 3.0 army green jacket in 5x. Ordered it through Rocky Mountain. It was a special order so took a little while getting here.

The Oxford fits well. Comes with shoulder and elbow armor but no back armor. The back pad from the Joe Rocket fits just fine. This jacket fits good, seems to be well made. Several vents that do seem to move air. Very happy with this purchase at $216 including tax.

Really like the army green color and decided to find a set of matching pants. Wasn't easy finding a 5x army green. Noting on the web that wasn't charging $85 in shipping (Oxford is manufactured in England). I made a few phone calls to shops here in the US listed as distributors. They were quoting $200+
with shipping. Decided the extra $$$ wasn't worth the trouble and planned to stick with something basic in black I could find in the US.

About two weeks after speaking with a location out of Tennessee, one of the Oxford distributors, they gave me a call. Said they had mistakenly ordered the pants and were now stuck with them. If I wanted, I could have them for $165 including shipping, and tax. I agreed.

Tried everything out today. It was 64 degrees. The jacket vents do lower the temp at the vent locations. One at each wrist, right and left chest, and two in the back. The jacket does seem to "hike up" a little during the ride. Still, it's a long jacket and this "hiking" doesn't expose my back. The pants have one set of vents near the knees, As you might expect. Not a lot of air movement. After the ride, my knees and crotch were wet with sweat.

Think I'm good to go for the 2020 season. Thanks for everyone's input.

No photos???

20200224_222448.jpg

20200224_222440.jpg

20200224_222220.jpg

20200224_221447.jpg

Back