• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mexico by Motorcycle

darmah

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Tb
Last Name
bearden
I've dusted off this dated story and thrown it out to the general TWTEX forum from the Mexico rider's side to tease out those that have had it on their mind or bucket list to venture south. My great friend Pat Kelly wrote and published it some years back as it was a 50th birthday ride. It's interesting how little real change was noticed on my May '22 ride in the beauty of the country and authentic friendliness of the people. If your interest is peaked checkout a MexTrek story on the forum or any of the numerous and growing videos linked on YouTube. Better yet, contact Mextrekadv for the easiest Mexico ride experience there is.

Attachments

• Mexico_by_MC.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 197
Not on my bucket list but looks like it would be a great trip. I jumped a train and rode it across Mexico with a buddy when we were 19, 35 years ago… Crazy trip for sure. Great to see people chasing a dream.

2006, The bike’s weren’t quite so old then. :)

Good read, the only thing he left out is the part were most people like that get kidnapped or killed. If you are not an exec. with a private PPO force or cartel connections to bail you out you may have issues. Traveling to the non tourist areas of Mexico without ppos or $100k to drop on bribes and ransom could be your last mistake. Writing propaganda for a fake news rag may or may not be enough to save you depending on who you encounter.

Spend the night on the US side of the Laredo border sometime and everything will become clear.

I have good friends who could live anywhere they want and are escaping Los Angeles crime for San Miguel de Allende and planning to build their dream home. Pretty sure its not for me, as I don't know the good places from bad, and think many areas could change very quickly down there if they stopped paying the cartels. That said, many folks I know still ride parts of Mexico and feel very safe there. I do think we are about to enter another wave with the recession, and with Mexico running dry of water.

Rusty, I've only been riding in Mexico since 1978 so all I can tell you is you don't get to go.
But Tim, be honest, how many times have you been kidnapped or killed? :thpt:

Back