• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #10 October 24th - 27th 2019

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Shaddock
And to be sure its visible, Mextrek #10 is scheduled for 4 days starting October 24th, with an optional 7 days after party afterwards.

Complications with tvip permit make legally getting truck and street legal bike to galeana impossible. Unless truck is in wife's name, bike in yours, and you both go. You can bring truck and "dirt bike", but you could get in trouble if you were somehow caught on the dirt bike on public roads. JB Jim Bender and JT have both done the latter without issues. And have acted as sag wagons on the way back.

Complications with tvip permit make legally getting truck and street legal bike to galeana impossible. Unless truck is in wife's name, bike in yours, and you both go. You can bring truck and "dirt bike", but you could get in trouble if you were somehow caught on the dirt bike on public roads. JB Jim Bender and JT have both done the latter without issues. And have acted as sag wagons on the way back.

~30 years ago we trailered our street legal XR250/350s to Santiago and rode the stuff between there and Saltillo. It was really slooooow getting across the border but we just waited them out. They put a sticker on the van and on each bike. Later it got a little easier when they changed to running your credit card. I think it was something like $31.00 and you got some of that back when you came back across. Later we started going to Iturbide. There was an old (closed) hotel they would open up just for us. The old man that owned it died a couple of years after we stopped going to MX because of the drug problems and started riding NM and CO again. I miss going to Mexico but it sounds like a long ride on a dirt bike (KTM450) to get there.

Last edited:
Wow, cool stuff seeing Mexico in the old days. I cured my KTM 450 to run a comfortable 65 to 70 mile per hour Highway Cruise. It's about 125 miles to the mountains from the border crossing in Mission. If you break it up into two legs it's really not so bad. I've done it for five times on my CRF 230

Wow, cool stuff seeing Mexico in the old days. I cured my KTM 450 to run a comfortable 65 to 70 mile per hour Highway Cruise. It's about 125 miles to the mountains from the border crossing in Mission. If you break it up into two legs it's really not so bad. I've done it for five times on my CRF 230

I'm sure it will do it but not sure I want to put that many "useless" miles on it that way. Strange that you can't take a truck and a bike across anymore ???

We did have one guy that got pissed off at a buddy and rode his XR250 from Santiago back to Dallas. Not sure I can get that mad. :lol2:

Last edited:
It's been this way for a couple decades

I think they had a problem keeping up with all the bikes and trucks. A cop stopped us coming into Monterrey, by the airport. He really wanted to "buy" ALL our bikes. He had a book with pics of a bunch of naked women he was pimping. We played like we didn't understand Spanish and quickly drove away. Lots of ways to get it trouble down there.

But with a ktm 450, no headlight, you'll pass the sniff test for "is that a dirtbike?". Just have 1,000 pesos on hand for the unlikely event you get pulled over and asked for a tvip. 99.9% of the time its a non issue.

The cops have become much more professional. Rates for standard infractions exist, but $20 gets you off any old speeding ticket. Now, wheelee-ing up a hill in town, sliding thru a stop sign, crashing under the back of a cop pickup truck, thinking he's a gangster and then felony fleeing for 10 miles, not so easy to work a deal. 1,000 pesos. EACH!

Thanks for delaying our ride that day as they where trying to shake us down for your groups actions.
LOL

Guess I could take the plate off.

Back