• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #13 Santiago "Lite" April 22nd to 25th, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya'll will not be dissappointed with the scenery! We were all awed this trip!

PXL_20210123_182600490.MP.jpg

PXL_20210123_181738846.jpg

PXL_20210123_013320684.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210122_212303923.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210122_000021164.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210121_223821639.jpg

First time rider question:
I'm a Veggie/Vegan person when it comes to food habit, Do I get stuff eat on other side of border that is not meat?
What percentage ride will be paved Vs off-road/trials? I’m interested if the off road/trials are more compared to paved

Last edited:
First time rider question:
I'm a Veggie/Vegan person when it comes to food habit, Do I get stuff eat on other side of border that is not meat?
What percentage ride will be paved Vs off-road/trials? I’m interested if the off road/trials are more compared to paved
Nope. Everything is made of meat. Especially the veggies, lol. Especially this full cauliflower head with mustard sauce I had last weekend.

Kidding, Mexico is easy for a vegan in a place like Santiago. Representative menu....what could you eat? But ensuring fried and veggies have not touched meat nearby is probably not realistic in common restaurants. But like us meat eaters, finding your perfect meal is a huge part of the fun in mexico. Set your google on "casa de cultura" in santiago, nuevo leon, mexico and see what pops in the vegan category. I think you'll be surprised. Elite in Mexico eat very, very well.

Side note, they will make anything you want if you ask nicely and can pay extra.

Riding is 70 street 30 dirt at best, mainly due to the commute in. But the dirt is gratifying. And the concrete can be taken as slow as 45 to 50 if needed.

The experience is amazing, if you open yourself up to it. Limitations on diet and concrete riding might be concerning, but you can smile and work around them.

PXL_20210123_013301408.jpg

PXL_20210120_231732449.jpg

Just received my second vaccine, so I'm in. Taking my KTM 350 since we have the luggage wagon.

@Mextrekadv thanks so much for the detailed reply. I've registered for now. Sent the link to a buddy of mine, he has also sent his registration interest
Time to get vaccinated now & I'm not getting dates.
Is the border open now?

A couple of videos put together by Ilias from Mextrek 12, our January scouting trip.

Riding Day 1: Potrero Redondo loop 3pm to 8pm:

Riding day 2: Gold Standard to La Ascension, 12 to 7 PM.

Since rain and cold can be our worst enemy, I'm providing this historical data for late April

Avg high 86
Avg low 62
Mean 74
Screenshot_20210203-180742.png

Rain 2.1 inches (compared to 11.7 in Sept, 4.8 Oct)

It will be my first time riding in Mexico if I can make the trip. I will see if I can get the time off. If so, I will register soon. Riding a KTM 790 Adventure R.

I really want to do this trip! It looks amazing. It would be my first trip into Mexico. I am checking with work to see if I can get the time off. I am wondering which of my bikes would be preferable to bring on it since it looked like most of the riding was on fire roads and not a lot of single track. What is recommended out of a VStrom 1000, DR650, or a DRZ400. Not sure if I should plan on trailering down to the start point or just ride down from Houston. I also have a friend who may be interested but he only has a Honda Shadow 750. Would that make it? Thanks!

Waaahooo just paid my deposit for this trip.
Doing Copper Canyon March 15th for 7 days then doing This Mextrek13 in April. Going to be awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_20210208_124109_710.jpg
    IMG_20210208_124109_710.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 216
Just received my second vaccine, so I'm in. Taking my KTM 350 since we have the luggage wagon.
Well, poo. I have a trip to Prescott and Indianapolis that has taken over that week.
I'm out. Hate to be that guy.
Look forward to the awesome stories and pictures.
Thomas, I guess you can have a different roommate .

Well, poo. I have a trip to Prescott and Indianapolis that has taken over that week.
I'm out. Hate to be that guy.
Look forward to the awesome stories and pictures.
Thomas, I guess you can have a different roommate .
Dammit man. Good thing I recruited my older brother to come on his first MexTrek with us.

I think it depends on what you put on your registration questionnaire. If you put what type room then I think he reserves it. If you put I will arrange my own then he doesn’t.

This trip looks great and for the first time I should have the time to do it. But its not looking good is it due to the COVID thing? Border is still closed. Will tag along in hopes the trip happens.

This trip looks great and for the first time I should have the time to do it. But its not looking good is it due to the COVID thing? Border is still closed. Will tag along in hopes the trip happens.

The border is closed for Mexican citizens travelling into the United States other than essential travel. Mexico has not imposed those restrictions on people traveling south. American citizens can travel into Mexico and can travel form Mexico back into the United States. So as far as this trip is concerned, the border is OPEN!

The border is closed for Mexican citizens travelling into the United States other than essential travel. Mexico has not imposed those restrictions on people traveling south. American citizens can travel into Mexico and can travel form Mexico back into the United States. So as far as this trip is concerned, the border is OPEN!
Abbott lifted the mask mandate today. Infections and hospitalizations are reportedly trending downward day by day. 7 million Texans have been vaccinated, with another million vaccines rolling in per week. I'm thinking April will happen. And hopefully all border restrictions will be lifted, if appropriate.

I have 38 registered riders, 32 committed and paid, so at a minimum I'm expecting 25 to actually show up, and maybe up to 40 if covid continues to dwindle.

...American citizens can travel into Mexico and can travel form Mexico back into the United States. So as far as this trip is concerned, the border is OPEN!

Well kinda. This is still classified under essential travel only. So if the border agent asks you the purpose of your trip don't state a m/c pleasure ride. They probably wouldn't keep you from leaving or entering but you would be slowed down to listen to their lecture.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Well kinda. This is still classified under essential travel only. So if the border agent asks you the purpose of your trip don't state a m/c pleasure ride. They probably wouldn't keep you from leaving or entering but you would be slowed down to listen to their lecture.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I don't listen to lectures! US citizens returning home to the US are considered essential travelers according to the State Department website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back