• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #17 Santiago "Lite" April 19th to 24th 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Shaddock
Save the date (Date changed) A 5 day, 4 night quick trip to the coolest and closest colonial town to Texas. Awesome mountain and canyon riding, great food, tranquil setting.

New this trip we are coordinating with Joaquin to participate in the annual Nuevo Leon ADV rally. Concurrently happening in Santiago the 21st thru 23rd. Nice rally shirt, 3 day checkpoint rally with prizes, food, entertainment, vendor area. This will be an awesome collaboration. Registration includes group rally fee to Joaquin.

#17 Mextrek "Lite" Santiago:

Wednesday, April 19th converge in Mission by midnight.

Thursday April 20th 8am depart to Santiago.

Friday, April 21st Santiago, Rally

Saturday, April 22nd Santiago, Rally

Sunday April 23rd Santiago, Rally Those who must, return to USA.

Monday, April 24th, return to USA or join the Afterparty.

Registration Open! $65 refundable fee, $35 1st timer fee for guidebook and org.

More details soon!

Last edited:
Attendance list (limit 30)...26 now!

Peter Shaddock
Tom Watson
John Headrick
Chaes Edwards
James Anderson
Fred Hubnik
Edwin Holmquist
Jason Anderson
Clayton Nalley
Nicholas Romero
Justine Burris
Mark Hileman
Gary Hurst
Jeff Cole
Piero Virno
Garon Foster
Wendy Foster
Ilias Ennaji
DC Sheppard
Kurt Ours
Chad simmons
Erick Reyna
Tim Moore
Thomas Loupe
Dao hoang
Huirick

Last edited:
Is this a “lite” ride because its beginner friendly or for some other reason?
Staying only in Santiago means all the riding offroad is done without luggage. Can be done from the border on a small cc bike, even a couple tw200's have done it, and the organized day rides are a bit shorter. (But still amazing). And its only 3 nights in Mexico.

Please note the day change. I am aligning the trip with the dates of the Nuevo Leon ADV Rally scheduled for April 21st to 23rd. The rally is rumored to be taking place in Santiago this year. This date change allows anyone wanting to attend the rally to come do MT#18 and participate in the rally as well. The Nuevo Leon rally is a checkpoint style rally for street and dirt bikes. My understanding is the winter last year wrote his motorcycle for 36 hours non-stop lol.

... Can be done from the border on a small cc bike, even a couple tw200's have done it, and the organized day rides are a bit shorter. (But still amazing)....
:pirate: Yup, Mextrek Lite Santiago can be done a TW200. Great experience.

20210424_181216.jpg

Man, oh man! I have been waiting for an opportunity like this for a long time, unfortunately work is not allowing me to take this particular week off. I understand it is possible you may have another trip planned later this year, if so, do you have a rough estimate in regards to a possible date ?
Unfortunately my days off have to be planned (way too) long in advance. Also any issues with women coming along ? My wife is an avid/experienced rider that would like to tag along if women are welcomed this time around.

In any case, I hope you guys have a safe and fun trip.

Cheers!

@Mextrekadv Just signed up. Thanks for setting this all up again. I'm a first timer but I have Richard's MexTrek book. If that's the guidebook supplied to first timer's no need to send one to me.

Where is everyone staying in Mission on Wednesday night? Would like to get a room booked so I can get it off my to-do list.

Where is everyone staying in Mission on Wednesday night? Would like to get a room booked so I can get it off my to-do list.
I am heading to Mission Friday and staying at Texas Inn, McAllen for the first time. If it is good, I'll repeat in April. I'll let you know how it is.

I am heading to Mission Friday and staying at Texas Inn, McAllen for the first time. If it is good, I'll repeat in April. I'll let you know how it is.
Thanks Mudd. In particular, looking for some place that is ok with us keeping (safely) trucks and trailers on site while we head south for a few days. I'm sure Peter has this covered in the past and has some recommendations.

It seems like I remember Peter has a loose agreement w the place he suggested, I can’t remember which one it is, that allows truck/trailer to be left for a couple of days

I book them all, probably at Texas inn cause they allow truck and trailers for $20 extra.

I stayed there last week and it was going downhill a bit with the ownership change, but still okay.

The reason I'm asking in the sign up sheet if you need a room in mission is because I will book all the rooms.

They will ask you for 120 a night for two queens. Tell them you are a part of the mextek group and you will get a room for 80 if it's high season 65 low season.

They will ask you for 120 a night for two queens. Tell them you are a part of the mextek group and you will get a room for 80 if it's high season 65 low season.
Thanks for the heads up. I booked it yesterday and I got it for $82.40 all in.

The reason I'm asking in the sign up sheet if you need a room in mission is because I will book all the rooms.
@Mextrekadv I misunderstood that question. It mentioned Friday night in Mission, so I got confused. This makes sense now. Sorry for the confusion.

Peter, thank you for organizing. My wife and I would like to participate and will each be on own bikes (KLR650 and XT250).

Three questions so I get the right amount of money to you:

1) The first post states $65 registration fee, but the google doc sign-up form says $45. What is the correct registration amount per person?

2) I have participated in a MexTrek in the past and have Richard's MexTrek book (2009, 2nd edition). Is this the $35 1st timer fee you are referring?

3) After we register, is there anything else we need to do in reference to the hotel in Mission/McAllen or the hotel in Santiago? In the past, you had taken care of all booking / reservations and we paid the hotels on arrival. Same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back