• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
MexTrek 2008 is in the history books now and it's time to start the ride report. Like any event of this size, it contained a lot of varied elements - good, bad, and just plain ol' ugly. Here's some stuff to get the party started.

Armadillownewv2.jpg

The Good

The scenery
IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

The riding
IMG_0922_edited.jpg

IMG_0914_edited.jpg

The locals
IMG_0939_edited.jpg

IMG_0967_edited.jpg

The Bad

Having to wear the party hat
IMG_0962_edited.jpg

Picking up your bike after a fall
IMG_0903.jpg

The Ugly

The only thing between you and certain disaster? Duct tape
IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

More to come...

Man I was worried about going to Mexico and I had a blast . Crossing the border either way is the only kind of bad part ,other than that it is a great experience.
I would like to thank Richard and Milton for all there help,they helped everyone figure out where to go and what to do . And thanks to Roberto for riding with us and being out translator that was almost like cheating .
Rick M

Attachments

• DSC06964.JPG
    DSC06964.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 603
  • DSC06957.JPG
    DSC06957.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC06942.JPG
    DSC06942.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC06937.JPG
    DSC06937.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC06930.JPG
    DSC06930.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 612
Looks like fun. Wish I could have made it. I got a call from Matt a he said he didnt feel like coming back to the states yet and he is headed for costa rica. As long as he doesn't loose my center stand along the way.... Your KLR do all that you asked it to do Richard?

Had a great Time! Mucho Gracias to Richard, Milton, Jerry, Dave, Floyd and to all, that helped make this happen.
As for the pic above- this young lady was looking for "UNCLE" and since he didn't make it- I had to fill in!
Hope you are feeling better Roger- it's a hard job to fill your shoes- hurry back!

My group was trailering to McAllen, TX on Tuesday evening to get our Mexico paperwork done and then overnight at a local motel so that Wednesday morning at 9 a.m. we could head for Galeana as quick as the law would allow.

This plan sounded good to some of the other riders and plans were made to link up Wed morning in the parking lot of the McAllend Motel 6.

Milton, Ductape Dave (formerly Dirtbike Dave but we changed his name to Ductape Dave for reasons that will be obvious later), and I teamed up on Tuesday afternoon and headed out.

Bikes loaded, Dave and Milton ready to go
IMG_0815.jpg

"...teamed up on Tuesday afternoon and headed out" sounds so simple, doesn't it? There is actually a good little story about our link up plans. Here's the deal - last year, Milton's KLX had significant bike problems on the way back from Galeana. He managed to coax it to Laredo where it finally fired for the last time. He eventually abandoned the bike in Laredo and caught a bus home to Austin. The next weekend he and I went and fetched his KLX from Laredo, hauled it back to Austin, dropped it off in his garage and it has sat, non-operational, every since.

On Monday morning, the day before our scheduled departure, my phone rings.

Milton: Rich, I need your advice.
Rich: Okay, what's up?
Milton: I need a bike to ride to Mexico and I found a DRZ400 in Dallas. I could fly up there this morning and ride it back.
Rich: Is the bike in good shape?
Milton: Yes.
Rich: How will you get it across the border without a title in your name?
Milton: I'll have the guy sign the title over to me and use that.
Rich: Think that will work?
Milton: Maybe. Hopefully. Who knows - it's Mexico.
Rich: Okay, that sounds good. Go get that bike.

So, that's what Milton did. He flew to Dallas, bought the bike and rode it back to Austin, arriving Monday night around 8:30 p.m. I wasn't at all certain that they would let him in with just the title signed over to him, but it beat the alternative of him not going. It was worth a try. And if all else failed, maybe he could pay a "special tax" or something...

Milton's new ride
IMG_0972.jpg

Milton's luck held, they let him & his new hotness in, and life was good.

Milton is always good for an extra dose of adventure. I love riding with him because of it, too.

Even with a stock tank. Wow. Did you guys do a lot of fuel transfering?
Looks like ya'll had a lot of fun. I knew that trip would spin off some good pics and reports.

Thank you to the organizers! Great pavement and dirt trip. Cheap and sweet. No damage to the KLR or my body. I enjoyed meeting so many of you and look forward to riding with you guys again. Mike, I did not see you get the "brazo" that you certainly deserved. She is a cutie. Having her in your picture put you up a category. You made the "bad" list instead of the "ugly" list of photos. Best rgds to the rest of th guys that I rode with Webfoot, Cotton, Jeff, Primo, Waylon, Jerry, Meelton, Pharrside, the Odessa brothers. I hope I didn't miss anyone.
I met some guys from La Feria also but did not get the names at the plaza on the last nite. Lets get together and ride south. I have my permit open for another 5 months. I know plenty of scenic pavement routes close buy for short 3 day trips from our neck of the woods. Then we also got the ride guide.

Soumy Vandal was light, cool of course- at this time, and somewhat quiet.
It had its first fall off the seat at our last meal stop in China. Cabrito.

I had an absolute BLAST at this event and highly recommend it to all. I was pretty darn worried about crossing the border with my vehicle but following the ride guide’s recommendations there were no problems whatsoever.

Thanks to all involved and especially my ride buddies (Jarrett, Rick, Arnold, Roberto, Kenny and Mark). Hope to ride with you all again soon!

Here’s a link to some of my pictures. Cant’ wait until next year!

Thanks to the organizers and everyone who gave me tips. Jinbody and I arrived safely in Houston at 3:00AM and I arrived at home outside of Dallas today at 3:30 PM.

I bought and outfitted the KLR for this trip. I have never done much off road (as in none) and I certainly enjoyed myself and learned a lot.

My KLR performed flawlessly. I loaned out a 6" piece of bailing wire, one wrench, and one 10mm nut. I did not use any parts or repair materials at all. I fell down twice due to stalling my motor, sliding backwards, and falling down. I bent one bracket for my caribou bags but that can be easily replaced.

It was a pleasure meeting you all and talking about riding. I loved the town the mountains and the people.

I'll be back.

Richard, Milton, and all that had a part in putting together this ride, it was the best adventure that i have been on in a long time.:clap: :clap: The country side and the people were wonderful, also some of the best DS roads that i have ever ridden on. also thanks to all our riding buddies they also made it special.Thanks to Scott, Kenny, Mark, Jarret, Roberto, and Rick. Can't wait to do it again!! Also thanks to Roberto for being our interpreter, you really did a great job of getting us food and drink, and getting us directions. Again thanks for a great week of riding and adventure.:rider:

I really want to thank you Richard and Meeltone for setting up this ride and all the routes. For a flatlander Fla boy to ride to 12,200 feet is really something to remember. I was over 20 years old before I make it to the highest Fla mountian (320') Enjoyed meeting and riding with Floyd,Don,Waylen and Jerry. Also enjoyed meeting everyone else. You Texas Guys are great. Have not quite made it home yet. Stoped at the Mississippi welcome station and asked for a inexpensive place to stay the night. They called and made me reservations at the Imperial Palace in Bulixi ($49.00 a night) What are all those machines with arms on them???? I guess I will have to check them out. Might not be back in Fla untill mid week. Thanks again Texans.
Cotton

Richard, Thanks for putting it all together again :clap: . It was nice visiting with everyone. El General Restuarant rules !!!!!!!!! Gracias a la Municipalidad de Galeana y la Gente para la hospitalidad. Amistad para siempre !!!

Regards, Chango

The ride to McAllen was uneventful - just 330 miles of boring slab from Austin. We immediately went to the border and got all our paperwork done. The nice thing about doing your paperwork late in the evening is that there aren't any lines to wait in on either side of the border. Just ride right up, get your paperwork done, and then be on your way.

Wednesday morning came early. Luckily there was a Shoney's Big Boy a short walk from the motel. Mmmmm... breakfast as Shoneys. Unbelievably, Milton had never eaten at a Shoneys Big Boy before! Well, we got that fixed.

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Final packing and bike prep began in earnest once we were done with desayuno.

Milton packs a lot of stuff.
IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Mike Frederick modelling his new "MexTrek" sticker
IMG_0827.jpg

The boys are ready to ride and eager to get to Mexico
IMG_0828.jpg

A total of 20 riders met there at the motel to ride in together. Since 20 is too large of a group to try and keep together, we split into 3 smaller groups. After a brief riders meeting all 3 groups headed out.

Our first stop of the day was to exchange money. Either the dollar is doing better or the peso is doing worse, because the exchange rate was more favorable than the last time I was here. 12.4 pesos to the dollar. It was about 10.4 to 1 last year.
IMG_0829.jpg

There were 8 riders in my group. The first thing that happened when we crossed the border was that one of the riders was selected for a search. The border crossing has a pass/stop system that randomly selects vehicles to be searched. Rick on the Transalp was the lucky rider today and the guards directed him to the searching area. The rest of us stopped and waited for him just outside the crossing area. The guards didn't like that at all and made us move on out. So, we pulled into the first open spot we could find on the street and continued to wait on Rick. Unfortunately, Rick didn't see where we stopped and, after surviving the search intact, took off to parts unknown. We waved and hollered at him as he rode off, but he didn't see us. Scott volunteered to go run him down and drag him back to the group.

Scott bringing the prodigal son back to the group
IMG_0830.jpg

Once that bit of excitement was over, it was time to get serious about getting some miles under our belt. Adventure was waiting in the mountains of Galeana and we needed to get there.

About 25 miles outside of town we reached the checkpoint. You've got to have a vehicle permit to take your vehicle into the interior of Mexico. This checkpoint randomly checks vehicles traveling into the interior for their vehicle permit.
IMG_0831.jpg

After about 75 miles of slab we took a short break at a convenient store at a spot marked on the map as El Rebaje.
IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

A few hours later we lunched at the Ponderosa Restaurant in Montemorelos. The food was quite good. I recommend the place to you when you go through here.
IMG_0835.jpg

At this point, all the preliminary stuff was out of the way. We had crossed the desert/flatlands an now the mountains were right in front of us, calling to us to come play.

This thread should have been named "above and beond epic". I had a blast meeting and riding with everybody, what a great bunch. I'm bad with names when it comes to meeting that many people, but this time I could probably name 2 dozen. Can't wait to see all the pics... I shared a camera with Wayland, so ours' will get up when he gets caught back up at work...hopefully.:lol2: For those who say "wish I coulda made it", I would definately plan on next year, start now if need be, I was thinking of rides to do next year on the ride out of Mexico. If it weren't for a slight bungle on our part at the border, and a light case or three of Montezumas' Revenge, it would have been perfect. Thanks to all.:clap: :rider:

Yea it was a good time for all, i just about fell over when i seen this guy coming down the road,,,,,
IMG_1132.jpg

Back