• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

I want to shake the guys hand who drove the DRZ from Dallas to Austin.... now that is EPIC!!!
That, ahem, would be me.

Tourmiester won't allow me to tell you how I really felt for those 4 hours. (at least not on this forum).

But wait, Bat Country. That was nothing. You've got to follow the amazing, Anja. All this on a 400DRZ

Now that is EPIC.

Yep. Stock seat.

Milton,

The stock seat on a Wee-Strom is a Lazy Boy recliner compared to a DRZ stock seat. Slap an AirHawk on the Wee and you won't ever have to stop riding because your butt is hurting.

Nudge, nudge...

Saturday, Day 4 of MexTrek 2008, Chuck, Jeff and I decide on an "easy" route, one that is actually in the book, the Potrero Redondo route.

There was no buffet today, breakfast was on your own
411812995_GJ4xm-L-1.jpg

The Pilon valley, looking towards Rayones from the paved road
411904857_MvSfV-L.jpg

The paved road to Rayones
411813146_ugmJP-L.jpg

Another view of the paved road to Rayones
411813190_vHHWe-L.jpg

We did the route backwards, entering the back roads at Allende and heading towards Trinidad
411813246_sEayw-L.jpg

Looking back towards Allende and our road. I hate the steep exposed switchbacks. Just hate 'em. (Means do more, right?)
411813292_aip2o-L.jpg

Between Trinidad and Allende, closer to Trinidad
411813343_eyUhn-L.jpg

Jeff, at our tamale break at the seasonal falls
411813380_GkQqA-L.jpg

Narciso ("Cizo") Hernandez, Potrero Redondo. His house is at the trailhead to Chipitin falls 45 min hike away
411813422_hC5eM-L.jpg

Chuck & Jeff outside Potrero Redondo. (Do you fall down alot?)
411813465_HQiRD-L.jpg

Some Mexican dudes out riding Saturday afternoon, Potrero Redondo road
411813518_AudWu-L.jpg

My heaven (Note: El Cercado mislabeled)
411813640_VPSvE-XL.jpg

Jeff, this should be your avatar
411813591_qNLGX-M.jpg

One more dumb question. How much was gas in these parts?

'bout the same as here, but I really wasn't paying attention. Used to be cheaper but as prices have fallen so lately, probably 'bout the same these days.

I missed this opportunity due to my (ahem) 30th college reunion. However Richard was so kind as to send me the maps and guidebook and I'm heading out solo on Monday the 10th from DFW area figuring 2 days down, 2 days there, 2 days back.
Your photos and write up's are a high bar, it'll be fun to reach for it (or limbo under it?).
Randy on an R80G/S

Be safe out there! I've got a small group going (3-4) in December.

Cant wait. We are going to spend 5 days south of the border!!!

Hey pushin50 and terra,
let me know when you are going down. i've got my documents open through february. i expect to make more trips south this winter. maybe we can ride.
there are some modifications on the ride guide possible depending on your style otherwise just pick a route from the guide. PM if you are interested.
Pink:rider:

Pink: I'm leaving the morning of 10November, that's like, less than 48 hours! Still have packing to do.
Lots of encouragement from the list.
I plan I-35 to Laredo, then the cuota to the MTY bypass, and hook around the west route into Galeana.
Randy

Pink: I'm leaving the morning of 10November, that's like, less than 48 hours! Still have packing to do.
Lots of encouragement from the list.
I plan I-35 to Laredo, then the cuota to the MTY bypass, and hook around the west route into Galeana.
Randy

Randy,
Make note that the road off of the Saltillo Highway to Galeana is Hwy 60.

Randy,
Make note that the road off of the Saltillo Highway to Galeana is Hwy 60.
Best to just look for the signs that say Saltillo, Cuota. There may be a Hwy 60 out there but Saltillo - Cuota is all you need to know. The exit is right about where the old Monterrey airport is.

Eventually the signs you want to follow will say Matehuala (or San Luis Potosi or Queretaro). You don't want to actually go into Saltillo, of course. The cuotas (there are 3-4) will bend you south instead of entering Saltillo.

Google Earth probably has a good treatment of it.

Man... if this does not make a person want to get down there and ride...

:tab Something is seriously wrong with them!! :trust:

Awesome pics Milton :clap:

Re: Adventure Riding 101 (cont.)

Gee, Thanks, guys
Personally, I like this

And this

And of course this

And, ok, this one too

And as long as we’re talkin’ favorites,
(Sorry Jerry, for having to pick just one.)
Oh, what the hey, these too

And.... Last but not least, I love these short videos from Vinny
The road keeps getting rougher

And this one is priceless.......Also Vinny's

Any questions?

I had an absolute BLAST at this event and highly recommend it to all. I was pretty darn worried about crossing the border with my vehicle but following the ride guide’s recommendations there were no problems whatsoever.

Thanks to all involved and especially my ride buddies (Jarrett, Rick, Arnold, Roberto, Kenny and Mark). Hope to ride with you all again soon!

Here’s a link to some of my pictures. Cant’ wait until next year!

wow, I took a look at some of your pics. What an amazing trip, how long did yall ride?

Milton, I think I already snagged quite a few of the ones you listed as favorites ;-) I am adding to the collection of images that I will be using for the next batch of front page images, the ones you see in the center of the page when you enter twtex.com in your browser. The problem is, the street riders don't seem to take as many good pictures as the DS guys so there will seem to be a DS bias in the pictures :doh: :lol2:

Milton, I think I already snagged quite a few of the ones you listed as favorites ;-) I am adding to the collection of images that I will be using for the next batch of front page images, the ones you see in the center of the page when you enter twtex.com in your browser. The problem is, the street riders don't seem to take as many good pictures as the DS guys so there will seem to be a DS bias in the pictures :doh: :lol2:

Heck, I'm a street guy only right now and I give a big thumbs up to those type pics...they're awesome. Of course they're going to "cost me" about $8k this winter so I can join in...;-)

Back