• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2009 - Oct 14-17, Galeana, Mexico

Hey Richard,

What are the temps like at this time of year? In January, it was cold at night, but nice during the day reaching upper 70s and low 80s? I'd assume it'll be a bit warmer in October?

Thanks

The past 2 years the weather has been great. High 80s during the day, high 60s at night.

Richard, count me in. I'm planning on meeting at Motel 6 in McAllen, and riding to Galeana with one of the groups from there on Wednesday morning.

Sounds like a blast - how difficult is it to get a motel reservation in Galeana? I really want to do this ride, but I don't really want to camp...

Sounds like a blast - how difficult is it to get a motel reservation in Galeana? I really want to do this ride, but I don't really want to camp...

Very, very easy ----- if you speak Spanish or know someone who speaks Spanish.

Just call one of the 2 hotels on the plaza in Galeana and make a reservation over the phone. The phone numbers for both hotels are in the ride guide all registered riders receive.

The one challenge is no one at either hotel speaks English, so you need to speak enough Spanish to make a reservation or get a spanish speaking friend/co-worker/relative/etc to call for you.

Very, very easy ----- if you speak Spanish or know someone who speaks Spanish.

Just call one of the 2 hotels on the plaza in Galeana and make a reservation over the phone. The phone numbers for both hotels are in the ride guide all registered riders receive.

The one challenge is no one at either hotel speaks English, so you need to speak enough Spanish to make a reservation or get a spanish speaking friend/co-worker/relative/etc to call for you.

I called and with limited spanish made the reservation quite easily.

I found it painless to call the central reservations number and get a room at the brand new Galeana Marriott

608011261_asmAF-O.jpg

:duck:

fairly new to the forum. I live in Corpus (just 120 miles north of McAllen), so I'm close enough to roll with you guys. Not sure of what bike to ride. I'm guessing the Ducati 1098s is a hot item down there, so maybe the 1200 GS? lol

For those of you who are new to the whole "border living" thing, make sure you have your passport, its required even for short border crossings.

I've never taken a bike deep into Mexico, I better check to see if my insurance will buy me another one if the Bandidos decide they wanna roll me, lol

Welcome, Houston Rider.

Yes, the 1200GS would be the bike to choose for this event.

I've never taken a bike deep into Mexico, I better check to see if my insurance will buy me another one if the Bandidos decide they wanna roll me, lol

You are very likely to need Mexican insurance, you can get the full coverage the same as you would for the US.

I am registered and ready. I got my book in the mail today. I'm bringing either KTM 530 EXC or KTM 690 Enduro R.

I am all set to go---already registered and have received my packet.
Planning on rideing with the group going in at McAllen and staying at the motel 6
Hope to see all the riders I met last year
Cotton

I'm sending my registration in tomorrow. I think I may wanna do the dirt ride a few days before, thinking about grabbing a different bike for this purpose.

I think I've narrowed to a KTM 690 Enduro, or the F800GS. I like the KTM, but the BMW motor sounds so much smoother for my tastes, but I'm gonna have to see about riding them both in the next few weeks to figure it out.

I am ready for Mex Trek, rolling on the R1200GS

1. Reservations: check
2. Swine flu vaccine: check
3. Extra ammo and hand grenedes: check
4. Extra cash for mordidas: check
5. Last will and testament: check

I think I've narrowed to a KTM 690 Enduro, or the F800GS.

If you want to tackle the class 3 stuff, the KTM is probably the better choice.
If you are going to stick with the class 2 stuff, the 800GS would be a great choice.

It all depends on what you want to ride when you get there.

Registration is in the mail, Richard. I've been waiting all year for this.
Let's Ride,
Martin

I got the higher highway ready gearing (15/39 vs the old 13/52) on the drz-sm today, so I'm getting closer and closer to being ready. GPS mount is complete. Now need tires and luggage. Looking into tire choices I think I found a nice set-up courtesy of my friend Justine's outfitting her significant other's WR250X SM for the dirt. The 17" wide rim looks crazy with a 120 rear tire mounted on the front. Amazingly, the bike rides great in a variety of offroad conditions, and just floats over soft sand.

f976303b-1.jpg

I went last year plan to go this year, Even if you stay on the pavement its an awesome ride, But of course My KLR likes the dirt,, I am working on my pass port now,
Mike

So I'm thinking of doing this too, never been to Mexico before. Can the FMT form be downloaded from somewhere online?
I think we just need to show up with the filled out FMT form along with password and two copies of all documents and we get entry documentation at the border, or am I mistaken?

So I'm thinking of doing this too, never been to Mexico before. Can the FMT form be downloaded from somewhere online?
I think we just need to show up with the filled out FMT form along with password and two copies of all documents and we get entry documentation at the border, or am I mistaken?

All the information you can stand in the links below

Blank tourist visa cards await you in piles at the border aduana

You can use the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Passport Card in place of a passport, if you have one. Must have one or the other.

Motorcycle Registration suffices but title will work. Most people use registration. Must have one or the other.

Driver's license

Mexico insurance for the bike. Optional but minimum liability recommended.

Credit Card or Debit Card in the name of the person on the registration/title. Your card will be charged the fee for the TVIP, plus it will be "pinged" for the cost of the bond (tested but not actually charged). No card or card not effective, be prepared to post cash bond for the bike. Can be up to $400 U.S.

Visa Answer Here

Temporary Vehicle Import Permit Answer Here

Passport Card

Back