• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2009 - Oct 14-17, Galeana, Mexico

Positive Pillion Attitude:

674590148_DqFyS-M.jpg

All that paper work is over-rated.
Just proceed directly the to 20 km ck point.
If anyone flags you over, nod, feint a stop and then hit the gas.
It's all in your attitude.:trust:

I wonder if I could pull it off? Or do you think they'd chase me down?

Trice, wasnt it you--- one time--- who suggested saying "No fumar espanol" with blank stares when a cop trys talking to you about something you know you did wrong? :lol2:

You can pull it out of your hat when in a mordida situation. I have and never paid a mordida. :-D

If you're guilty, take your lumps :oops:

War stories

I love getting stopped by the police. Its an opportunity to make new friends.
Its a delicate balance between sincere respect, humility and a hint of humor that's hard to explain and easy to misjudge, just the kind of tightrope that I find interesting. Once I convinced a policeman that all I had was credit cards and I refused to give up my sunglasses as an alternative as he suggested. He walked away so defeated I slipped him a 20 after the game was over. I also believe in having the police on my side.

Usually they start off with some alleged infraction and threaten to take your driver's license to be picked up in court the following day. I've had fun just saying simply, "OK" and watching them squirm. Once this didn't work in Honduras and I lost my driver's license.

A buddy of mine spontaneously ran a 20 km check point in a car once, just for the **** of it, much to the surprise and chagrin of his fellow passengers. Oh, and the story goes he was carrying a controlled substance to boot. The police gave pursuit but eventually gave up. That was years ago, and I suppose they are little more sophisticated these days.
AdvRider has a post of a dude running a border check in Central America.

Last March when my buddy presented himself at the aduana it was brought to his attention that he had failed to cancel his vehicular permisso's from the year before, now he was on a different bike and all his current paper work (title, registration) was photocopies. Talk about bad form. We walked away from that situation quite satisfied with the mordida option. ('cept later on in the trip I had to start loaning him $ as he'd redistributed all his at the aduana).

But you didn't hear me say that.

Are you guys ready ?

Expect alot or rain and some "cold" weather, well... not colder than many places of the states, but colder than the year before for sure, we have seen alot of rain this days, and the weather channel says it will be raining for the next week in the sierra..

i´m sure will have a lot of river crossings...

cya soon! :trust:

Hopefully the water crossing won't be as slick as they were on the Beyond Epic Laborday Ride!

Hopefully the water crossing won't be as slick as they were on the Beyond Epic Laborday Ride!

They won't be.

We will have some of this:
470164234_HVBJp-M.jpg

some of this
470168581_RzBj4-M.jpg

and more of these
469450691_U5gKu-M.jpg

Ohhh, it's gonna be GOOD!

Bring your Frog Togs and let's go have some fun.

After upgrading to Bicimapas 2010, I went in and checked last year's MexTrek route files. They were all dorked.

I opened the routes on the Zumo, selected them all, and deleted them all.

Then, went and copied all the routes to one version of Mapsource and uploaded them fresh to the Zumo.

Just checked them all and they're good to go.

Just a hint to do what Richard suggested I do, and check your gps MexTrek routes if you haven't done so already, after upgrading anything on your GPS, especially Bicimapas.

All this talk about Mordidas is timely. My supergreat DRZ400 just began to sound like it has a few loose pebbles in the crank. I have no idea how to go about diagnosing and fixing, but it's developed over the last 200 miles this week from a soft murmer to a definite "something is not right". Of course, it starts the weekend before Mex Trek and I am a little scared about the proposition of taking my bike on a 1000 mile trip with a possible mechanical.

So, is there any way to get my perfect running XR400 into Mexico, in light of the fact I have a bill of sale only, no title or tags? I have no issues circumventing checkpoints.....

So, is there any way to get my perfect running XR400 into Mexico, in light of the fact I have a bill of sale only, no title or tags? I have no issues circumventing checkpoints.....

To be ridden on public roads, the bike needs to be street legal, plated, and requires either a title or registration to obtain a TVIP.

No legal way that I know of with your current situation.

I think you would have to visit your local tax office, register the bike in your name, and get a license plate for it. That will give you an updated registration for the bike in your name. You can get a vehicle permit with the registration.

On the way to Potrero Redondo last year. Wonder what it looks like now?
Hey, that looks like me in your photo.
You going to be there this year, Jeff?
Anja's in Denmark and Chuck.......,
well yesterday Chuck was headed for Creel.

It is you. The only problem is you are going the wrong way.
attachment.php

Here's the correct direction of travel on that road
470168581_RzBj4-M.jpg

At least your form is good. :lol2:

I was wondering if there was a nice, huge hole that you had bounce through in order to get that cattywhompered like that.

So guys,
I am bringing several forms of cameras in order to document this event. Video cameras, helmet camera, digital cameras, etc. None of my equipment is professional quality, but I do intend to give a go at making a nice documentary styled video of the trip.

One day I'd like to do a route or two with a group, jump ahead and stop to record at nice/interesting views, get the action shots in, etc. Then on another day or two, I'm planning to go exploring with Milton and get some good video, exploring new routes.

Should be an interesting mix of video, and I'd like to try to get a photo or video of everyone attending.

Sound good? Good. See you guys on Wednesday!

OH AND I WOULDNT MIND hooking up with anyone getting paperwork at the border on Wednesday morning and then heading to Galeana. Please send me a PM if you are planning to do the same? I'm a big boy and can/have handled riding in Mexico solo, but its always safer having someone else there.

Hey guys, me, ISurf, and JThompson are here at El Jardin posting from there computer in the lobby.

I dont know if anyone is planning on going throug Los Ebanos crossing, but they did not have any ability to do just about any of the required paperwork, primarily the tourist permit.

We had to head into Reynosa (in the rain) to get the paperwork.

Anyway, if you plan using Los Ebanos crossing, have ALL your paperwork done.

Well see you guys on Wednesday!

how bout this spanish keyboard¿

Hey, that looks like me in your photo.
You going to be there this year, Jeff?
Anja's in Denmark and Chuck.......,
well yesterday Chuck was headed for Creel.

It was you!. I'm leaving at 5:30 in the morning (Sunday) with David Bell. Was Chuck spending all the time in Creel or was he going to head over to Galeana during the week?

Back