• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2009 - Oct 14-17, Galeana, Mexico

What happened to Don?:eek2:
Hope he is feeling better soon!

When we got to McAllen his wife forced him to go to the emergency room. It turned out that he had a broken scapula, clavicle, two broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Last we heard on Saturday night they were moving him to ICU, and he would be in the hospital for a couple of days. That guy is tougher at 73 than almost anyone I know.

What happened to Don?:eek2:
Hope he is feeling better soon!

Don was in front of me, steep downhill with loose rocks and rain ruts. He got in a rut and things escalated into a tank slapper into feet off pegs into grabbing throttle and shooting across the road, heading straight for the cliff before pulling it back and almost saving it, but slamming into a rock that pitched him over the bars back into the road and tumbling down another 40 feet or so, as the bike flew over the edge. :eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2: I thought it was gone, but a tree saved it from a 200 foot drop. Long story short, with the help of some locals, we were able to get him and the bike back to Galeana. :zen:

When we got to McAllen his wife forced him to go to the emergency room. It turned out that he had a broken scapula, clavicle, two broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Last we heard on Saturday night they were moving him to ICU, and he would be in the hospital for a couple of days. That guy is tougher at 73 than almost anyone I know.

Hey Way...76 I believe. Tuff old bird indeed.

I had the pleasure of riding with Don on this trip, except for the one day he got hurt. He is a good rider and is game for about anything. We talked about going up the continental divide at some point. Best wishes to him and if anyone has his phone number, let me know.

Dave

Don is in ICU at MacAllen Medical center. His lung reinflated right away in the ER with the chest tube.
Was in a lot of pain Sunday but feeling a little better today. Hope to get the tube out tomorrow. Will
Be a long time healing all the broken bones.

Don is in ICU at MacAllen Medical center. His lung reinflated right away in the ER with the chest tube.
Was in a lot of pain Sunday but feeling a little better today. Hope to get the tube out tomorrow. Will
Be a long time healing all the broken bones.

That man is amazing!!! An inspiration to all of us!!! Glad to hear he listened to somebody and got seen at a hospital.

Best wishes Don!!!! Looking forward to riding with you next year!!!

Delores, I didnt get to introduce myself or really talk to you.... but yes I still look (and feel) as bad as you felt.

I like seeing women on the bike and on the trail. Can't wait to see more pics of yah on the trail.
9031_541375043531_62002887_31875020_2361089_n.jpg

Oh man!! Sometimes my mouth gets me in lots of trouble and then it comes back to haunt me :lol2: I am still hurting from Friday's ride. I didn't know you could actually wear out every single muscle in your body in just 89 miles! The bruises are starting to show up as well!

I am sooooo looking forward to next year! Hope to get to know you better then. In the meantime...ya'll round up some women for me to ride with...these boys are kicking my butt!!!

Oh man!! Sometimes my mouth gets me in lots of trouble and then it comes back to haunt me :lol2: I am still hurting from Friday's ride. I didn't know you could actually wear out every single muscle in your body in just 89 miles! The bruises are starting to show up as well!

I am sooooo looking forward to next year! Hope to get to know you better then. In the meantime...ya'll round up some women for me to ride with...these boys are kicking my butt!!!

I've never seen any women that could keep up with you!:giveup:

My wife used to ride an XT225. I'm hoping to have a KTM 640 or similar next year, so that she can ride with me. We'd be riding slower than I did this year, so it wont be a problem 2 up. So, what I'm trying to say is that I'm trying to get my wife down next year.

Two up ? :eek2: That's a visual after seeing you ride. :rofl: Scott...do you have a full res pic of me resting on my head ? If so, I'll pm you my e-address. I need a new background. :lol2:

Two up ? :eek2: That's a visual after seeing you ride. :rofl: Scott...do you have a full res pic of me resting on my head ? If so, I'll pm you my e-address. I need a new background. :lol2:

Thats why I want a KTM and not a Vstrom for two up riding!:trust:

Yeh, I'll send you the unedited one. :clap: 2 points for the landing, 9 points for the style

Here's a sombrero picture to get things going..by the way does anyone know if Vstrom Jeff made it home or is he still driving around in Mexico "Big Bend, Parliment"?

sombreroLarge.jpg

Attachments

• sombrero (Large).jpg
    sombrero (Large).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 266
It turns out my bike likes the "unknown"

TransalpLarge.jpg

I had a GREAT time in Mexico, I can not wait to find more beutiful places for us to have our bikes breakdown.

MichaelsbreakdownLarge.jpg

MichaelLarge.jpg

Speaking of beautiful places, here's the first of the 28 - Routa Del Muerto river crossings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZH3SeMOZs

I think it was Tricepilot who reccomended bringing soccer balls for the kids, here's a video of some kids at a school on the "Top of the World" trail getting two of the three I brought to Mexico.(next year I will bring more)-The teacher said they didn't yet have a real soccer ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdgKL93UsE

Just so we get up in time for the days rides(and bacon,coffee and eggs) here's Galeanas own dog sounding alarm clock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRYiwnlawwo

And once you get back after dark in the rain, you can have the guy with that Total Recall growth wash your bike for 20 pesos plus tip.

totalrecallguyLarge.jpg

Hey Izz and all. Don't forget that folks are posting over at the other site too.
These posts are too good.
Copy and paste.
Guys,

Thanks to everyone who attended this year's MexTrek. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

I've started the MexTrek 2009 Ride Report here. Please feel free to post up your reports and pictures there.

That is a great story. My hat is off.

Martin, Pancho, Mark and I rode north of Cerro Potosi into the mountains to find this little town. Martin gave her that framed photo of herself, one he took the year before.

She, really, made our day.

To all Mextrek 09 riders........I will not allow the last fifteen miles of Mextrek 09 to ruin it for me.I had agreat time and enjoyed it greatly.
I experienced a tremendous get off.and will be laid up for a while. In spite of the remoteness of my accident,my very efficent riding buddies had a local there with a truck within ten minutes to get to a clinic in Arimberi.then secured another truck to take me to Galeana. The next morning loaded up my bike and gear gingerly drove me to McAllen
I cannot begin to thank all who unselfishy cared for me gave me comfort,fed me,obtained dressings and medication,all of you went above and beyond.
You are all truly unique and I will never forget any of you......
THANK YOU....THANK YOU...THANK YOU

Don Gil (& his family)

Don, good to hear from you, a lot of us were wondering how you have been doing. I was the one behind you, and yes it was a tremendous 'get off'. I will give you a 10, and since I was the only witness, it will stick. :flip:

Back