• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2015 Ride Report !

Everyone, place your after-trip stories and pics here. Everyone who attended should post at least your best highlight pics and say hello when you get home to let all know you made it safely.

And, thanks to each and every one of you who attended. So many new and returning friends. It was an awesome trip for me. Todays ride out of the north side, Milton's gold standard, was incredible. Best 4 days of riding in Mexico yet. Sadly, haha, too much riding to get back to McAllen so we're gonna enjoy Metroplaza in Monterrey tonight.

A few pics from my 7 day adventure I'm posting later in the thread....

Last edited:

Dao

Vinny & I made it back to Austin @ 6pm.

To get the ball rolling....here's some pics I took:

The trail we took coming into Galeana from the north.

One of the towns leading into Galiana:

These last 3 pics were taken on the El-Alamar route S. of Galiana.

Attachments

Made it back at 10:45 pm sorry peter and everett, i knew i'd be back monday in the am if had gone dirt with u on way back, glad to hear u ok in monterrey, mesa de oso must've been spectacular going north too.

Can't decide whether to post this here or on my own thread. Here goes: This would have been my 4th trip to Galeana. I got a 95 BMW R1100gs about 6 weeks ago and have done a lot to it, but rode it every day to work without issues, to learn to trust it. I was going to ride all the way to Galeana so if it were going to break it would break in Texas instead of Mexico. But my buddy Dale and I decided to drive from DFW to the border (glad I did). We got unloaded in Mission, got our papers, and met everyone at dinner. A couple of them had been on prior trips and one or two I already knew, like Shadman, Mark (Subcomm), Vinny, Dale, and a couple of others, and a couple looked familiar like I saw them in Big Bend. Anyway, we headed off for Galeana, and everything was going very well. I knew the bike was a big one, and I planned to do Class I's and maybe lead some VStroms on some easy rides that I've done before, at my usual not-blistering pace. Everything was going fine, and I did not have any problems at all on the more difficult part of the Reyones-Galeana road. About 8 miles from Galeana, all of a sudden, the Blackbird dies as if struck by
Thor's hammer. Started a couple of times, then died again. We attempted a tow, but the big girl didn't like it. So, about this time, around the corner comes an old Mexican in an old truck. I more or less blocked his way, and hollered "Ayudame!!" and he nodded. He patiently removed his welder and a bunch of stuff from his old 70's truck and then Nick and a couple of others helped hoist my big bird into the old truck. The old dude, Gerrrrarrrrrra, took off to Galeana, and drank a coke and smoked a Camel type cig all the way. Of course, when we ground on into town he pops me with the back of his hand and says "Donde?" I say "El Centro". We unload the bird and she starts right up (of course). I rode to the square and parked her and came back and asked Gerrrrarrrrra "Quantos?" He says "No, no, no necesaria" I forced $20 on him for Cervesas and Cigarettes and he reluctantly took it. I have seen this happen several times with rural Mexicans, all help and no cost.

So the bike started twice that evening. I decided to go in the morning and fill up with gas and ride around and if she kept running, to start a hopeful ride on pavement to the border. Alas, she did not start again. I called my BMW Guru and he got the three previous owners talking and the consensus was Hall Sensor Wiring (ignition). I took off the front cover, lifted the fuel tank out of the way and wiggled wires, took off the sensor, and it started a couple of times and ran for a few seconds, then nada.

Meantime, Peter had talked to Allejandro, the restaurant owner, who had taken an injured guy to McAllen in 08, and Allejandro agreed to take me Sunday. However, I found out that the price was $600, then I bargained him down to %$500. He did show up on time Sunday and we loaded up.

So at 10 on Sunday, Alejandro is ready to go, and Carlos shows up and asked if he can go. He speaks English so I said of course I was glad to have him. We had to wait for him until 10:30. Then, a young Mexican girl and her friend (boyfriend?) hooked up with us and about 11, Alejandro, Carlos, Sophia, and her friend, and a big husky driver all took off. The drive was to take about 7 hours. Carlos was to talk the entire way, first English to me, then Spanish to everyone else.

After about an hour, Sophia motions for my phone. I give it to her and she gets on translate and writes: "I am a rock and roll singer in Monterrey". She then finds her music and plays me some and of all things her band is a Rockabilly band. They are quite good. So I tell Sophia she can come home with me and I'll adopt her. I texted my wife a picture and she says "sure" so I tell Sophia that she can come live with us and I'll adopt her sort of as a girlfriend or something. She hugs and kisses me and has an excited look on her face so our deal is made. Since I had been more or less hunting for a 20 year old Mexican Rockabilly girlfriend, I thought "What luck". She was quite good looking and very sweet, and I have the power to make her a citizen so it's a win win.

All the way, we were munching on soft tacos and I was formulating spanish phrases like "Puedemos Alto aqui para Baños y Coke?" and "Sophia Cuantos año tienes?" and other useful stuff, and big driver was taking short cuts and Carlos is talking and I'm wondering how long its going to take us to get there. Sophia and her friend have to stop and I find out that she's going on the bus to Monterrey and will be joining my family later.

So we ride, and Carlos talks, and finally we get to the border and I turn in my paper work, with a lot of relief. However, the Murcans wanted to quiz us just a bit and that took another couple of hours. Then, 3 miles from the Hotel Carlos tells the driver "Al Frente" and I'm hollering "Gire a la derecha!" Took us about 8 miles out of the way so he could talk some more. I found out after I arrived at the hotel that Carlos' talking had pretty much given me Cancer. Dale and I drove to Three Rivers and slept like the dead.

JMZ

I was just fixing to say no pic no proof. Lol. Looks like your trip back didn't take long enough :)

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Here is a preview of footage captured on the ride. More complete version(s) may follow.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_xurUHsmFg"]MexTrek 2015 Preview[/ame]

YouTube site version: https://youtu.be/H_xurUHsmFg

Last edited:
Hmm, lets see who can top that. Waiting on update when Sophia shows up at Dave's door!
See the bike made it an adventure, we wouldn't have this story if the bike didn't die...

Maybe next trip down you need to buy one of those "selfie sticks" so you can get all of your new friends in the photo shot. Everything in Mexico is a group activity, no loners. :)

An awesome group ride! I have been to two other Mex-Treks and this one was by far my favorite. Great to re-connect with old friends and make new ones, thanks for organizing the event Pete!
An excellent video by Webnel(Mike)

Made it back safely Monday afternoon. Found some new dings in my rims, can't seem to ride that bike without bending a rim.

It was much better than I would have imagined, what a great ride with great people. Thanks to all who participated and thank you very much to Peter for organizing such a great event.

IMG_1560_zpssfz9wxxm.jpg

IMG_1559_zpsrjtu3w1s.jpg

IMG_1558_zps6q2tma9k.jpg

IMG_1551_zps5pr8md9z.jpg

IMG_1549_zpsrc8ykysx.jpg

IMG_1547_zpsj3bauf5g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome pictures Dale! I had a blast riding with you. You're amazingly capable on that honking 950. From the photos I regret not having made it to the top of the world ride loop Saturday. Amazing shots....and a good reason why I am heading back for....

MexTrek 2016 #1 (coming next April)

I tried to focus on others and riding, not pics, so there aren't too many.

It's nearing the day of the dead. Decorations are starting to come out in Galeana. I chose a balcony room overlooking the square for me and Everett. With only one bed we had a couple of funny questions from the staff, but joking with them we convinced them it was either okay to be non-hetero on vacation, or that we were brothers, or maybe just cold. Never occurred to them it could be a budget issue. Lost in translation, but still funny.

View from the palace suite. I'm always amazed something so beautiful as this setting is hidden only 450 miles from home. Viva Mexico!!!!

Last edited:
Day 1: Thursday. The ride down was a bit of a bummer as first Pete's bike refused to be taken to mexico (bad coil), Dave's BMW had an ignition failure, and Jeremy unfortunately caught some horrible luck and bounced off a few choice placed rocks, tipped over slowly, and pinned his foot...ending his off road adventures just as the fun was starting. Other than those day 1 casualties the rest of us soldiered on.

Fuel was cheap in the US, but still around the $4 a gallon mark in Mexico. Glad to be driving my little 230f.

Our "regular" bike washing fellow from 5 years back was still tidying up boots and bikes in the square, and always wanted his pic taken. Mark and Dao supervising. He seemed to have his granddaughter in training now.

Folks rolled in from far off places. 6 from the falls, our group of 12 from Rayones, Vinny and Dao on 650's with Doug Mux, Friday saw Juan from Argentina follow our lead in, and eventually JT plus one making their own tracks.

Last edited:
Day 2: Friday's ride was purely bliss. We chose a southern route from Richard's awesome guidebook, down concrete (heavenly twisties) to Iturbide, then south on dirt...one I've done in year's past. Wet conditions in previous weeks meant trails were green, not too much dust, good grip. We took a group of 10, intending to split into a fast and slow group. As the day went on everyone picked up the pace to near race pace and despite two flats, a couple get offs, a lost gas can, and adventures in getting lost, we were back on the square before 5.

Myself, Everett, Dale, Daryl, Jeff, Greg, Steve, Frank, Mike (webnel, see video above) and key navigator Zeke rode hard enough that I didn't break out my camera until our late lunch in Camaronnes. Super fun day.

Ended up at the sinkhole. It's not small, no no no. Later that night, after dinner, Everett and I walked to the top of the staircase that divides town. 600 feet and huffing, the view was great, but the camera shot...not so great. Talked into the wee hours, then sacked out to the sounds of dumpsters, kids screaming, dogs barking, and raindrops.

Last edited:
Awesome pictures Dale! I had a blast riding with you. You're amazingly capable on that honking 950. From the photos I regret not having made it to the top of the world ride loop Saturday. Amazing shots....and a good reason why I am heading back for....

MexTrek 2016 #1 (coming next April)
yeah baby, I'm in, will start planning for it right now, it was a pleasure riding with you Peter. I also regret that we didn't plan to leave early Sunday so I could've made it back again thru Mesa de Oso going north, going south was an incredible ride thru Mesa de Oso on Thursday. And did I mention that I'm definitely in for Mektrek 2016 #1.

Day 3: Saturday Same group, with Mark (aka Steven Segal) added to the mix decided to head North, back through Rayones and around in a counterclockwise loop including Cerro Potosi. Fast riding, crazy gravel and paved roads (Mexico, rural, is dissappearing quickly), new friends, and brrrr....

Starting at God's Eye natural bridge, which the road passes over.

Steve, always smiling!

On a random lookout

Higher ground, quick...

Taking a turn west to chase uphill to the land of the prairie dogs...

Best buds enjoying "that lyfe", lol.

A bit later we found a store (new colors, new image, still same Mexican crappy goods) and made friends with offroad riders from Monterrey.

Met a circus performer from the local travelling circus. Showtime at 8:30 PM

Got a free preview.

Got promptly kicked out, nicely tho.

The real performers were watching telenovella's via sat.

Day 4: Sunday is always a sad day. Many departed early before we rose. Everett and I headed north on a brand new adventure: Mesa de Oro and Monterrey. Amazing. Pictures don't do it justice.

The endless climb up was great. Tiring. Beautiful.

Popping out near the falls, on the high plain.

Then descending into the deepest canyon I've ever seen. Just us and 5,000 Mexicans on bikes, side by sides, dune buggys, sandrails, and jeeps. Bumper to bumper into Monterrey.

Literally thousands of foot tall rock walls. Scary tall and unfathomable. Mind blowing compared to my recent Grand Canyon experience. Really.

Into Monterrey for Sunset. 100,000 people were out on the town, Metrocentro. No gang presence felt, at all.

bar district is still slowly recovering...as were we so we called it an early night after dinner at Vips...the Denny's of Mexico. Vips roughly translates to "next to the Sheraton".

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 5 was an explore Monterrey day with Everett's friend Laura. great parks, and we even ran into the Monterrey basketball team.

Departed Monterrey a bit later than planned.

Ran to McAllen on Mex 40 tollway in the dark. no issues, no border checks, no police. Checked out the TVIP's, and headed to meet our racer / trackday / internet sensation Stella for some whataburger. After a 2 hour break we headed home. Until....Boom!!! Spent 3 - 7 at a rest area. Shuttled the rim on a bike to Falfurrias for a replacement. Home at 2:00 PM. What an adventure!!!

yeah baby, I'm in, will start planning for it right now, it was a pleasure riding with you Peter. I also regret that we didn't plan to leave early Sunday so I could've made it back again thru Mesa de Oso going north, going south was an incredible ride thru Mesa de Oso on Thursday. And did I mention that I'm definitely in for Mektrek 2016 #1.
I figured you'd be in. Now, time to modify the route in thru Mesa de Oso!!!:trust:

Great pics Dale..enjoyed watching you throw the big Katoom around like it was a dirt bike....and oh the exhaust note..sweeet

Good job showing the beauty of Mexico in pics Peter. There should be a law against thrashing a little Honda as bad as you did that one. I almost left the road watching you bounce that little bike from rock to rock...entertainment Adventure style.

Peter and Zeek were excellent ride bosses...even when we got lost and had to climb Zeek hill it was fun :clap: oh yea, the faces on the riders when they learned we had to go down that rocky goat trail was priceless.

I rode sweeper quite a few times and noticed far less dabbing on the third day from everyone. Rides like these sharpen rusty skills and makes better riders...Kudos to a good group of adventure riders. It was a joy to ride with this group and Everett reminded Dale and I what is was like to be young...You were fun my new friend.

Ran to McAllen on Mex 40 tollway in the dark. no issues, no border checks, no police. Checked out the TVIP's, and headed to meet our racer / trackday / internet sensation Stella for some whataburger. After a 2 hour break we headed home. Until....Boom!!! Spent 3 - 7 at a rest area. Shuttled the rim on a bike to Falfurrias for a replacement. Home at 2:00 PM. What an adventure!!!
The two of you had road side vehicle issues to deal with? What a surprise! :rofl:

Peter, thanks for putting the ride together as it was great fun. It's very much an adventure riding off into the mountains of Mexico for a few days from the border!! Even better was having a fantastic group of folks to ride and hang out with on this trip. Thankfully kayakkawakid joined us too with his knowledge of the area and language. I'll have long-term memories from this one!

Last edited: