• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek 2015 Ride Report !

The two of you had road side vehicle issues to deal with? What a surprise! :rofl:

Thanks, I guess? LOL. Taking a $1000 truck and a $900 bike on a million dollar adventure has occasionally been known to result in....adventure. But given 720 miles of riding and 600 miles of driving on dry rotted old tires, I'm happy with a pinch flat and one separated tread.

My road racing friends would say we did this ride in "True Brawp Fashion", lol. Last minute, "low budget" (haha), nothing but fun. https://www.facebook.com/BrawpRacing

Last edited:
I still have a small stack of Tee shirts. Who didn't get one? Who just wants one for fun. Send me a PM. If you want my wife to make it into a small pillow, she can do that for ya too, no charge.

http://www.nannypooshaddock.com/

or

https://www.facebook.com/Shaddock-Designs-193756344081420/

12112416_10207274130546071_3623459634556540405_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all! Just wanted to drop in and thank everyone for such a memorable trip. Mexico is a beautiful place and I couldn't have asked for better people to share the trip with. Many lessons were learned and I'll certainly be back albeit with more off-road riding experience and perhaps a smaller bike.

Also, got into my doc earlier this week and the verdict is 3 fractured metatarsals.

Look forward to riding with you all again soon after my foot has healed up.

-Jeremy

Jeremy, Very sorry to hear it was a break, but compared to the recovery of other crushing / tendon / muscle possible injuries you probably have the best outcome. You braved it with courage, and a smile. And for those who weren't along for the ride, he rode another 10 miles of dirt into Galeana, made it around town on his heel, and then rode another 150 miles back to the border with 3 broken bones. Beast mode !

More photos....... I take photos about as well as I ride, pardon the quality.

i-xFsLhjM-L.jpg

i-z592w5C-L.jpg

i-LnsQrKJ-L.jpg

i-3cghR76-L.jpg

i-RJtVtTh-L.jpg

i-Lbt8qmG-L.jpg

i-hK53ZwF-L.jpg

i-3T7mFFP-L.jpg

i-z5HzVQK-L.jpg

i-6d6fmt4-L.jpg

Last edited:
I like them Webnel. Especially the picture you took of Steve, taking a picture of me, taking a picture of Dale and Darryl.

i-dPsqSrC-L.jpg

This one...

10696172_10207271612363118_3867268198987300960_n.jpg

Now we just need Steve's pic!

Last edited:
.....I tossed in a few behind the scene shots.

These 3 pics were taken on our Sat. route heading N. of Rayones
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

...on the El Alamar route
attachment.php

....3 caballeros wrapping up another epic adventure ride!
attachment.php
ride.

Attachments

• 20151015_154627.jpg
    20151015_154627.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 20151017_162028.jpg
    20151017_162028.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 441
  • 20151016_165105.jpg
    20151016_165105.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 441
  • 20151017_180243_resized.jpg
    20151017_180243_resized.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 432
  • 20151017_135158.jpg
    20151017_135158.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 443
Wow! Great pics! I was down there a few years ago with Senor Gibbons. When you are there riding, the views change constantly, and there is SO much to take in! But when you see the pics on a PC, while sitting in a chair at home, it just makes you realize and remember how beautiful the views and mountains are.

You guys got some Great pics! Thx!!

.....I tossed in a few behind the scene shots.
really enjoyed looking at these behind the scenes, some r really funny but u have a good eye for interesting pics, and I think back and I don't ever even remember seeing u take one picture or seeing u with a camera except the video camera on ur helmet, and am hoping we can get to see more videos...I seen ur copper canyon pics too, I recognized some areas and missed each other by not so much, I rode my klr there thru mex and down into batopilas and back thru big bend in October 2008.

Cool, thanks. I have many, many hours of vid and plan to make a 8min or so highlight vid soon. Rainy weekend ahead so maybe, then.

Nice to return to Galeana again. Lots of MexTrek riders looking like they had a really great time. Just a few pics I took of my last of 10 days in Mexico ending up in Galeana.Return to Galeana4.jpg

Galeana return.jpg

Return to Galeana.jpg

Return to Galeana2.jpg

Love the ride report and photos, ignorant me, I didn't know Mexico looked like that! Awesome.

One last story I totally forgot to post. Shows the stark contrast from Mexico to Texas, in terms of regulation, norms, and love of laughter.

If anyone has pics or video, I'd love to see it.

Riding on a particularly hairy uphill switchback, heading up the back of the pack, at 5/6ths of race speeds. Tight lefts and rights with zero visibility. I come around a tight steep uphill right hander and encounter a huge pickup truck, maybe a small dump truck facing downhill in the opposite "lane", aka, he left 6 feet on the uphill side. Sliding to a stop to the full volume yelling of 10 construction workers I realize I messed up. Expecting to be chastised for riding so fast, ignoring the huge truck, and maybe being asked to explain the sins of the 8 bikes ahead of me that had obviously not stopped, I didn't know exactly what to do. But in 1/2 a second I realized they weren't yelling for me to stop, they were yelling at me to be contestant #9 to try to conquer "the construction zone de red bull". They had recently set up forms on both sides of the road, about 15 feet apart. They had filled the road with 10,000 human head sized rocks. It appeared the concrete was about ready to pour. They were lining each side of the construction zone with bandana's in hand, waving frantically yelling "Andele, Arriba!". So without further hesitation I gunned it in first, wheelied up into the rock bed, and continued up the steep loose rocky roadway of bowling ball rocks. Up ahead I saw 2 or 3 bikes that hadn't cleared the whole obstacle of rocks, then a pinch point with gravel, a hop down into sand, and a squeeze beside the pickup at the top. I made it all the way to the pickup, almost sideswiping a bike or two, until I had to stop as Dale was sandwiched on the 950 and we had no where to go. We all got good hearty yells, laughter, and a round of applause. I just wish I had go pro footage. It was hilarious. Everyone agreed it looked like a poor mans version of the video we'd all seen on the net. Good stuff, ol' Mexico.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEECE2PRTnI"]Red Bull Romaniacs Prologue with Jonny Walker - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
One last story I totally forgot to post.If anyone has pics or video, I'd love to see it.We all got good hearty yells, laughter, and a round of applause. I just wish I had go pro footage. It was hilarious. Everyone agreed it looked like a poor mans version of the video we'd all seen on the net. Good stuff, ol' Mexico.l]
hopefully, Mike had his camera on thru this section, before I took the lead thru that construction, he was video taping. But yeah I got Greg on my 6 when I pull up to that dump truck, and there were bigger than bowling ball sized rocks on the right side of the truck. I had seen that Internet video before Mektrek so with in the spirit of that crazy obstacle course, I piled into those huge boulders but got stuck, the Mexican workers quickly came to the rescue and removed the worst of them, which I thanked them and after clearing the worst or so I thought, I told them muchos amigos me siguien, that lots of riders are following and that we will try to get out of their way shortly and we appreciate their help and patience. They were all intent in helping and seemed eager to see the show of crazy americanos try to get thru. After the initial jump over boulders near the dump truck, I thought we were in the clear, then come to find a stretch of road completely covered with abit smaller bowling sized rocks and a final truck parked in the middle. With 2 ft of width in clearance scraping past another pickup and a huge pile of sand, their pickup probably ended up with Kawasaki green, Honda red, Suzuki yellow and Ktm Orange scrapes all along side, they loved it, we loved it, it was memorable. Mike, come on, tell us u got it on video !!

I hate to say I haven't run across that video yet. Must not have been running at that time. I'll look as I compile the final video.

For those who are interested, I fixed the BMW today. It took about 2 hours. The plug of the Hall sensor was mostly melted plastic and tape gum where the Previous Owner had rewired it and wrapped it with lots of tape. When I was working on it in the plaza, I stopped one step too soon. If I had cut the cover off the plug, which I already suspected, I would have seen the burned mess. There is a pretty good chance I could have cut the connector out and directly wired each wire to each wire on the other side. I basically wasn't sure enough of myself. I actually even had some cool little "environmental" aircraft splices that work very well and I could have been on the road again. After while I'll post a pic of the connecter. It's disgusting.

I fixed it with a new Hall Sensor, about a $200 item. I can get the old one rewired for $100 for a spare. While I was in there, I put in a new coil, plug wires, and plugs. Keep the old ones as spares. I change out quite a few coils and get a noticeably fatter spark. Boy BMW parts are High.

burned%20hall%20sensor%20plug.jpg

Last edited:
I fixed it with a new Hall Sensor, about a $200 item. I can get the old one rewired for $100 for a spare. While I was in there, I put in a new coil, plug wires, and plugs. Keep the old ones as spares. I change out quite a few coils and get a noticeably fatter spark. Boy BMW parts are High.

Glad you got it figured out!

Was it one of the 4 previous owners that you know that did the repair?

I'd be asking for compensation on a ruined vacation, unless you were made aware at time of purchase. Oh welln you're young and have a few decades to do all the trips over and over again.

Here is the long awaited full version & final cut video from the trip. 11:26 minutes in all, but very cut down from hours of video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMGYMqvrO14"]MexTrek 2015 Preview[/ame]

YouTube site version: https://youtu.be/nMGYMqvrO14

Last edited:
I've not even really reviewed the final cut all the way through, but pretty sure it's completed as expedited. ;-)

Here is the long awaited full version & final cut video from the trip. 11:26 minutes in all, but very cut down from hours of video.

MexTrek 2015 Preview

YouTube site version: https://youtu.be/nMGYMqvrO14

Very nice! It brings back lots of riding memories in sharp focus. I never looked down...watching the video it looks like we were on a road of death at every turn. And kinda, maybe, we were. What a fun trip. Thank you for taking effort to put the video together. I'll watch it every year, once, until I no longer am able.

P

Back