• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #9: Destination Guanajuato June 22nd - 30th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so people know who I am and what I am riding (from the introduction thread):

Top o' Scottland, eh!?

You look like a high mileage guy, what's your Bimmer got on it? She looks well loved.

I like to think I am a high mileage guy :)

First 5 years of ownership: 1800 miles
Last 3 years: 42,000 miles

I actually worked out of Washington DC and jumped from country to country - gone 280-300 days a year up until an opportunity opened up for my wife in Europe in late 2014. I resigned from my position and finally got to do what I sat out to do in 2011/2012 when I bought the bike. So starting in 2015 my/our first big trip was Germany to Nordkapp 2up for just a month, then various trips all over Europe/Eastern Europe, UK, until last year when I started a ride to South Africa but a chap in the western Sahara and his dilapidated Mercedes had other plans for me and the bike. Various hospitals in Morocco for a month and another month of recovery Northern Africa was as far as I made it. So in about three years I was doing the mileage and exploring I wanted...especially the TET and Eastern Europe. Africa was my dream trip and since that fell apart, and am now back in America I want to explore Central and South America...thus the Mextrek. Get my feet wet again after a year of recovery, moving and rebuilding the bike.

The bike is very well loved, a little too clean at the moment and ready for some more miles...

Take care!
Erik

and am now back in America I want to explore Central and South America...thus the Mextrek. Get my feet wet again after a year of recovery, moving and rebuilding the bike.

Mextrek is a great way to see a lot in a compressed timeframe. This trip will feel like a month of adventure. You won't be disappointed.

I am kicking around the idea pretty seriously. I haven't done Mexico on a big bike in a long while. I won't be taking my 530 but my 990. I have a question before I register. Do we find our own accommodations or do you Shadman have a place in mind already and we just cover our own room and board expenses? The sooner I know, the sooner you'll get your 18th rider. :sun:

I am kicking around the idea pretty seriously. I haven't done Mexico on a big bike in a long while. I won't be taking my 530 but my 990. I have a question before I register. Do we find our own accommodations or do you Shadman have a place in mind already and we just cover our own room and board expenses? The sooner I know, the sooner you'll get your 18th rider. :sun:
I guess I couldn't wait for a response. I filled out the registration form, sent it, and paid via Paypal. So, I am in!

MM, I typically book a host hotel or hostel (small hotel) and the vast majority stay there. In Santiago, Xilitla, Real de Catorce we'll probably all bunk up together out of convenience. In San Miguel and Guanajuato I will have very very very central, nice, reasonably priced lodgings for us. But frequent travelers to these towns may have their own ideas as there are hundreds of amazing choices and folks get attached to a place. About 2 months out I'll firm up headcount, find and book reservations, and send out custom "invoices" if funds are required in advance. Expect $25 a night double occupancy, on average. For the whole trip $500 is a really tight budget, $750 to $1000 normal, and $1250 to $1500 if you fine wine and dine, go clubbing, drink tequila, and shop a bit.

Last edited:
Hey Shadman
Im still in South Africa and the google maps thingy will not find tjhe testaurant in Santiago
Real street addresses and place we sleep at will also help for the arrival there. Ill be having a somewhat nervous first timer as passenger and would hate to be lost( my speciality)
Mission is my probable crossing point as of now.
Cheers

Andre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andre, lodgings will be finalized Late April when I have a firm rider count. Santiago will be within a block of the main square we ate at last trip. If we get 20 plus confirmed we'll book the same palace as last year.

Thanks for this information. I was wondering the same. Assumed from the previous year write ups and photos it was a group booking but glad to have this verified. Sounds like bike security is easy too with the group bookings.

So looks like I don’t need to bring camping gear.

I’ll have a few questions about items to bring later on. Be nice to go on a trip with no camping gear, cooking gear, etc...something new for me.

peter,
tell the hotels we want to ride our bikes through their living room...
IMG-20190324-220840199.jpg

....that's ThomasM right there, Mr. never a dull moment....

and we want parking in the patio!
IMG-20190325-101752334.jpg

Nothing but the best for the loco gringos.

OK, I'm in! Registered and Paid this morning. My first trip through mexico not on a dirt bike, so actually looking forward to the highways this time. I'll be heading down from Dallas on a 1200GSA if anyone wants to tag along to San Antonio on Friday.
I'll be heading down from the DFW area. I am contemplating trucking my bike to the border crossing and parking the truck on our side, in case of bike trouble. If you decide to join me, let me know.

I'll be heading down from the DFW area. I am contemplating trucking my bike to the border crossing and parking the truck on our side, in case of bike trouble. If you decide to join me, let me know.
Sounds great, let's talk when it get's closer! -Roger

Ok, I'm confirmed in. Going to be bringing my 3.5L twin turbo powered ride for this one. Also known as an F150. I've been wanting to bring my wife down to these spots for a while, and this trip I'm going to go without a bike - we'll do the trip in the truck. So - one more sag wagon along for the ride!

I'm wondering which adventure machine will be ready for the ride, my colossal diesel subarban, or the ratchet old DRnky... I'll be turning wrenches either way, that's for sure. Zara and I had a great time in Mexico last June, and I have a stack of street tires just begging to be put to use.

Attachments

• 39814277_312617562620732_5539356846504017920_n.jpg
    39814277_312617562620732_5539356846504017920_n.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 53510752_397066130842541_5228293706947231744_n.jpg
    53510752_397066130842541_5228293706947231744_n.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 57085284_10218518672828084_6446720918881304576_n.jpg
    57085284_10218518672828084_6446720918881304576_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 278
I'm wondering which adventure machine will be ready for the ride, my colossal diesel subarban, or the ratchet old DRnky... I'll be turning wrenches either way, that's for sure. Zara and I had a great time in Mexico last June, and I have a stack of street tires just begging to be put to use.

We can drag home a broken DR650S... a mud bus not so much!! If you want to cage it, jump in with Charles or Matthew.

Everett and Zara makes 23 "riders"

Last edited:
Couple of quick questions for the group:

1. For this trip are most running 90/10, 80/20 tires? I have four new sets of the Mitas E-07's and feel even those might be a little to much for all the pavement we are covering. I wouldn't mind throwing on a set of Pilot Road 5's to try out (curious how the ride) for a trip like this (understanding I wouldn't be taking off road).

2. Reading online, almost seems easier to get paperwork at the border. I was going to go to Austin in advance, but wondering - those with experience - their take and advice.

I know it's early and any advice is appreciated.

Erik

2. Reading online, almost seems easier to get paperwork at the border. I was going to go to Austin in advance, but wondering - those with experience - their take and advice.

I've been over 3 times and each time I got my paperwork done at the border the afternoon before the trip started. It was very quick and painless. All 3 times I crossed from Mission over the Anzalduas border station so I can only speak to that location. Once I did have a bit of a wait coming back to Mission after I got my paperwork done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back