• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #9: Destination Guanajuato June 22nd - 30th, 2019

I've been over 3 times and each time I got my paperwork done at the border the afternoon before the trip started. It was very quick and painless. All 3 times I crossed from Mission over the Anzalduas border station so I can only speak to that location. Once I did have a bit of a wait coming back to Mission after I got my paperwork done.

Sounds like the way to do it. Thanks for the input.

Couple of quick questions for the group:

1. For this trip are most running 90/10, 80/20 tires? I have four new sets of the Mitas E-07's and feel even those might be a little to much for all the pavement we are covering. I wouldn't mind throwing on a set of Pilot Road 5's to try out (curious how the ride) for a trip like this (understanding I wouldn't be taking off road).

2. Reading online, almost seems easier to get paperwork at the border. I was going to go to Austin in advance, but wondering - those with experience - their take and advice.

I know it's early and any advice is appreciated.

Erik
Erik,

1. I'm still deciding tire choice as well. Most likely I will use a pure street tire and just suffer if we explore offroad. I've done River Road in BBNP on DOT race tires, and while fun, its super challenging and frustrating at times. But the idea of real grip in the twisties makes me lean towards some bt003's.

Others in the group will be on 690/701's with knobbies and will surely be connecting longer routes on dirt. So then I think, hmmmm, tkc80's? Or 70's? Still unsure...

2. This trip, small numbers, definitely do paperwork at the border as we cross. 180 day permit.

April 22nd is 2 months out from the trip start. I'll set that date as the cut off for which your registration puts you in group lodging. After April 22nd its probably still likely you'll be able to bunk with us, but not 100%. Everyone registered will get an email with full lodging and rates and a deposit request around the end of the month.

Last edited:
April.22nd is 2 months out from the trip. I'll set that date as the cut off for which your registration puts you in group lodging. After April 22nd its probably still likely you'll be able to bunk with us, but not 100%. Everyone registered will get an email with full lodging and rates and a deposit request around the end of the month.
Sounds great. Thanks for keeping us/me posted. Much appreciated!

Tire wise:

Tire wise as much as I am usually running something 50/50 I am not used to these temperatures and "tar snakes" with knobbies and already had a few "eek" moments. Coming from Europe and the moderate climate(s) had no issues - to include wet Stelvio passes but the patchwork down here with soft tar is everywhere.

Again, thanks and really looking forward to the trip.

Dao

For this trip, I'm going w/ Metzeler Tourance tires,
  • 85% On / 15% Off
Vstrom650

but on my last 9 day ride, where we did 90% road, 10% dirt, the E07+(50/50) & E10 fr (40/60) tires I used did just fine for all that hwy riding.
It's quite noisy on the road, , but they gripped just fine. I would have no probs reusing those tires for this trip.

Last edited:
For this trip, I'm going w/ Metzeler Tourance tires,
  • 85% On / 15% Off
Vstrom650

but on my last 9 day ride, where we did 90% road, 10% dirt, the E07+(50/50) & E10 fr (40/60) tires I used did just fine for all that hwy riding.
It's quite noisy on the road, , but they gripped just fine. I would have no probs reusing those tires for this trip.

I have 4 total sets of the old version of E-07 Dakars and one set of the Plus version I shipped back from Europe with me. Very cheap there. I will debate up until June on tires. Very comfortable with the E-07's as I've been using them so long.

Thanks for the input!
Erik

Question for the Mextrek group:

I am packing for a trip to the Horizons Unlimited meet up in VA next week. This is an "apples to oranges" comparison of course since it will be a month long and I'll be camping the whole time, but got me thinking about what luggage to use on the Mextrek trip.

I have the ZegaPro2's for hardcases, and I also have the TT soft waterproof cases (photo below). Both are easily detachable.

***Disclaimer - I lived 3 hours away from the Touratech headquarters in Germany and was exempt from the 19% tax/VAT so be gentle with me for all the TT equipment :)

Just curious what others are doing for carrying essentials. Most likely will not be using a hard top case.

I am not ruling out the Mosko Moto bags, which have been something I've wanted for quite awhile.

Thanks -
Erik

First Name
Charles
Last Name
Nevle
On my GS when riding on pavement, which this trip will be, I like the convenience and security of lockable hard cases.