• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #9: Destination Guanajuato June 22nd - 30th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ride looks great! I've just signed up! I've done Baja a few times on different sized bikes, but I'm yet to do mainland Mexico. I do a lot of solo adventuring, but getting my feet wet in Mainland MEX with a group of experienced riders sounds like good fun. I'm down to share hotel rooms along the way if anyone is looking for someone to split costs. I'll be on my 2014 KTM 1190R, which just rolled over 50k miles! -Ben Bodie

Ben, great to have you along. Your experience on the 1190 will reward when we hit twisties south of the border. If you have them, spoon on a set of 80/20 street dirt. We'll have opportunities to ride a lot of really good gravel and dirt roads, but the main group will probably run streets 80 to 90% of the time. See you soon!

Would Mextrek #10 be more 250cc friendly?

Unfortunately, yes. While a later model 250 with a 6 speed would be able to keep up on this ride, it would be a nightmare of a saddle sore butt covering 1600 miles in 9 days. Mextrek #10 (October 26th to 29th) will be same as #'s 1 thru 8, based in Galeana, with about 500 miles of riding over 4 days. We'll have an After Party going through the next Sunday with a lot more riding and adventuring. And although some say a 250cc is too small for the highway, all you need is a 60 MPH cruise speed, comfort for 120 miles of highway riding over 3 hours, and a smile knowing that when it gets narrower, rougher, and dirtier you'll be having the most fun. I led this ride for 2 or 3 years on my 14 HP CRF230F.

Last edited:
Ben makes #7. Phil #8. David M #9. And maybe 10 others I spoke with at Uncle's are notionally in, but yet to firmly commit.

Last edited:
So there's a riders limit ?

Camillo, every trip has a limit. This one will be more about harmony. If the group is lots of new to mexico guys it will have to be smaller. Experienced guys. Bigger. I think 20 is ideal. But could maybe handle 24 or 25. First registered, first seated in line. Also, if you are not experienced riding at swift but safe speeds this may not be for you. There are 1,000 corners to push past on hwy 120!!!

Cost:

$100 covers registration, tee shirt, all you can stuff in your banquet dinner in Guanajuato...

Your registration link shows:
"Registration for 4 days and 3 nights in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico includes hotel, tee shirt, breakfast, and dinner banquet!"

Looks like for a past Mextrek itinery.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Here's a video I put together of a dirt oriented trip we did last year to a few of these cities. I did that trip on a 500 and my buddies were on 690s. Peter may have convinced me to go on this trip and take the GS during our soak in the Big Bend hot springs last weekend.

Here's a video I put together of a dirt oriented trip we did last year to a few of these cities. I did that trip on a 500 and my buddies were on 690s. Peter may have convinced me to go on this trip and take the GS during our soak in the Big Bend hot springs last weekend.

OMG! That was amazing! I'd love to be a part of that!

Any of those destinations on this Mextrex?

OMG! That was amazing! I'd love to be a part of that!

Any of those destinations on this Mextrex?

All are on this trip. It's a tour of the cool places in northern mexico. Highlight is Guanajuato as this video clearly shows....

Guanajuato:

And also...

Huasteca Potosina (Canyon region):

Las Pozas:

Tamul falls:

San Miguel:

Real de Catoce:

So, are you in? LOLOL

Good news everyone: My brother Matthew, who lived in Guanajuato from roughly 2000 - 2003, has decided he'll be following our parade in my Scion XB box truck. He'll have my 4 by 4 foot motorcycle trailer partially disassembled in case of a major mechanical breakdown. This trailer is small, but capable, having logged tens of thousands of miles with 600+ pound bikes on it, last weekend it was a Vstrom to ABQ. He is also 100% fluent, knows the region very well, and if I can convince him we need it enough could be conned into giving his infamous 3 hour walking tour of Guanajuato. He will be leaving San Antonio on Saturday, meeting the group in Santiago Sat night, and returning the following Sunday evening to San Antonio. Cost of the permit, retitling my car to him for a proper TVIP, gas, and tolls is likely around $350 but well worth it in the event we have a catastrophic breakdown. I'll probably outfit him with a collective tool kit, tubes, oil, chain lube, etc... for proper sag wagon support.

Arrival questions:
When/where are most people doing the border crossing, Saturday morning in Laredo?

I'm based out of Odessa, if anyone is interested in carpooling and splitting expenses to the border town. I have a sprinter van that can fit two bikes, although it has been broke down in the shop lately... I'm hoping it will be operational by June.

Where do you guys plan on leaving your vehicles if you trailer your bike down south?

Saturday June 22nd: Arrive in Santiago, N.L. Argentinian Steakhouse Welcome Dinner.

Attachments

• ben.png
    ben.png
    675.3 KB · Views: 328
This Mextrek will differ from previous iones due to our riding mostly on larger adventure bikes. Some folks will surely travel to Mission, spend the night, and cross there in the morning. It's comfortable. Our host Hotel, Clarion Mission, allows for parking of trucks and trailers for the duration of our trips. It is in a quiet neighborhood, safe hotel, and mostly behind a big wrought iron fence and dense vegetation. No issues there to date.

However, my thought for this event is to have 2 groups of riders, one in San Antonio, and one in Houston, departing Saturday morning. The ride from the border to Santiago is fairly easy, not more than 2.5 or 3 hours of pavement, and I think a group of 10 or so can easily cross Texas, get permits, and make Santiago by nightfall. Spending a Friday overnight in Mission burns time and has previously been done mainly so we can get a large group of slow bikes to Galeana by sunset on Saturday. Surprisingly, sunset can be a difficult goal to achieve. This trip should be much faster and smoother with bigger bikes and less riders in smaller groups, with a chase vehicle (from San Antonio).

If Mission works for you, awesome, there will probably be 5 or 8 folks leaving there Saturday morning. If its more convenient, make plans to either depart San Antonio or Houston on Saturday early AM with one of our groups. We should
have plenty of truck / trailer options in both cities.

In San Antonio we don't have firm plans, but something always fills the void when there is a need...

In Houston, Mark has offered his amazing "Pit Stop" office / bike museum / car museum / race center for all Houston guests. He has showers, highly secure parking for tons of trucks, and tools and bike lifts etc... on site. Anyone doing a long out of town slog should take him up on the offer of crashing on a sofa there Friday night. I'll be starting my trip there if all goes to plan. Hs place....

Hey Shadman
Im still in South Africa and the google maps thingy will not find tjhe testaurant in Santiago
Real street addresses and place we sleep at will also help for the arrival there. Ill be having a somewhat nervous first timer as passenger and would hate to be lost( my speciality)
Mission is my probable crossing point as of now.
Cheers

Andre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just moved to San Antonio from Europe and would like to sign up. Wasn’t sure if this is open to all? I ride a 2011 1200GS (new upgraded suspension) and this ride, by thread description sounds like a good one.

Have read through everything and check all the boxes just didn’t want to step on toes. Sounds like this has primarily been dual sport in the past?

Thanks for your guidance!

Erik

OK, I'm in! Registered and Paid this morning. My first trip through mexico not on a dirt bike, so actually looking forward to the highways this time. I'll be heading down from Dallas on a 1200GSA if anyone wants to tag along to San Antonio on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back