• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mextrek #9: Destination Guanajuato June 22nd - 30th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend the Baofeng UV-5R as a backup comm source. 5 mile range, led flashlight with blink function, $27. Can be paired into a Sena bluetooth hub and used seamlessly with SR10 and 20 and a push to talk button.

Agree on the Baofengs- had 'em and didn't test them before that fateful night - bad move on our part. But, inReach to the rescue. We accidentally were able to text each other via satellite. Figured out how to not make it an accident the next day (by reading the manual :doh:). Will be glad to do a tutorial on setting them up for anyone that's interested.

Hey Shadman I am a very possible on this ride. I'll be two up with my #1 Son since he is passported now. I'm not worried about lodging per your intro post but want to make sure your ok with bringing the Gman. Mom will require at least 10 check ins a day but you know how that goes ....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1557906910018.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557906910018.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 362
Any insurance recommendations? I am with USAA/Prog. here in the states and was referred to a couple other companies from my insurer. None cover theft/damage and I was wondering what others have found.

I saw the earlier post about insurance and after researching a bit myself wondering what others are doing? I just want to meet the requirements for entry of course, and in the event a theft occurs or equipment is damaged/stolen would like that covered also.

Thanks everyone!

Erik

Mexico Insurance Options that I'm familiar with:
  1. Baja Bound Insurance: Bajabound.com / 888-552-2252 (I’ve bought the Chubb Seguros Platinum Policy via them ~3 times in the past; example T&Cs are attached here).
  1. Adventure Mexican Insurance Services: https://www.mexadventure.com/ ; haven’t used them, but I know others that have.
  1. General de Seguros (http://www.generaldeseguros.mx/) policy purchased through middle-man Sherman Smith @ +1 (520) 450-3237 / ALSforum@hotmail.com in Oct-2018… got a “special policy for tourists” $71 USD for a 1 month policy on a $15K motorcycle; the T&C details were VERY limited, but it included Collision, Theft & Liability).
Note that legally you have to carry liability insurance while in Mexico. Companies 1 & 2 above are both well-known reputable on-line middle-men brokers w/ multiple coverage options. Option #3 is way less expensive, but the details are much sketchier.

Mexico Insurance Options that I'm familiar with:
  1. Baja Bound Insurance: Bajabound.com / 888-552-2252 (I’ve bought the Chubb Seguros Platinum Policy via them ~3 times in the past; example T&Cs are attached here).

1. Adventure Mexican Insurance Services: https://www.mexadventure.com/ ; haven’t used them, but I know others that have.

1. General de Seguros (http://www.generaldeseguros.mx/) policy purchased through middle-man Sherman Smith @ +1 (520) 450-3237 / ALSforum@hotmail.com in Oct-2018… got a “special policy for tourists” $71 USD for a 1 month policy on a $15K motorcycle; the T&C details were VERY limited, but it included Collision, Theft & Liability).
Note that legally you have to carry liability insurance while in Mexico. Companies 1 & 2 above are both well-known reputable on-line middle-men brokers w/ multiple coverage options. Option #3 is way less expensive, but the details are much sketchier.

Thanks for this. I was going to go with Chubb S. but am not sure about the Third party Liability and "Excess Liability" I see above (my screen capture) both are offered with HDI.

Not sure I need "Excess Liability". Chubb overall has gotten good remarks on different forums.

Let me know if you have any opinion on the Excess Lia.

Again, can't thank you enough!

Erik

Hey Shadman I am a very possible on this ride. I'll be two up with my #1 Son since he is passported now. I'm not worried about lodging per your intro post but want to make sure your ok with bringing the Gman. Mom will require at least 10 check ins a day but you know how that goes ....

I think there is a lot to consider here in a group setting. How does a child fit in? Will his presence change the group dynamics? Are we editing / watching our mouths and our bench racing tales? Am I more liable personally as he is not an adult of age. Checkpoints? Gangsters? I think I will ask the rider group on our chat app.

Last edited:
I think there is a lot to consider here in a group setting. How does a child fit in? Will his presence change the group dynamics? Are we editing / watching our mouths and our bench racing tales? Am I more liable personally as he is not an adult of age. Checkpoints? Gangsters? I think I will ask the rider group on our chat app.
You can ask. I've considered the 1st 3 points and I am interested to know how a group feels about it for future reference. At this time however we and the boys feel like a Pacific beach dedicated trip would be more fun for them. On this trip it is all about them and a first experience. We have a group with a plan in the works. As far as the last couple of points I am no more concerned than for ourselves on any similar trip.
Let me know about your inquiry.

I know if I were 12 a beach trip would appeal to me. At 48 it is high on my bucket list too. Sid and Steve rode a lot of the Mexican Riviera together a few years back and had great things to say about, even in the off season when many activities and businesses were closed.

Getting things in order and just wanted everyone to know I will be carrying these items with me in the event I/we need them:

Hope everyone is doing well. I am still getting used to the Texas weather (from Southern Germany) and trying to get tires sorted, insurance, and looks like I am going to go down to one of the border towns the night before (Friday) and use Airbnb. I see a Starbucks in Neuvo Lerado so of course I need to check that box :) If anyone else is thinking about spending the night Friday let me know - as I most likely will be crossing in Lerado coming from San Antonio...

Erik

Last edited:
Question for the experienced:

I am probably going with just the side cases, but was wondering if I should put on the top case? Wasn't sure if I was going to bring anything back or if there is a need for it? I am packing very lightly so should have room in the side cases, but didn't know if there are specific items from Mexico you guys have brought back in the past - ie souvenirs, tequila, etc...

Lame concern but thought I'd ask.

For this trip, I'm going w/ Metzeler Tourance tires,
  • 85% On / 15% Off
Vstrom650

but on my last 9 day ride, where we did 90% road, 10% dirt, the E07+(50/50) & E10 fr (40/60) tires I used did just fine for all that hwy riding.
It's quite noisy on the road, , but they gripped just fine. I would have no probs reusing those tires for this trip.

I am going with the Mich. Anakee Adventure for my 2011 GS - hope we can compare notes and thoughts at some point.

For me just wanted to try the 'dual compound'...

Erik

Does the top case cause any drag or wobbling? If not, I'd like to have it just to be able to throw my helmet in there during quick stops. It'll be out of site and out of the sun.

Does the top case cause any drag or wobbling? If not, I'd like to have it just to be able to throw my helmet in there during quick stops. It'll be out of site and out of the sun.

i think it does increase drag, but not as much as two side panniers did on my DL650.

On the interstate....as i vaguely recalled....
w/o any boxes, I can max out to 95mph
w/ just my top box, I max out at ~90mph
w/ just my two panniers, I max out at ~ 85mph

On my GS never notice the top box, agree about noticing with the side cases on.

Used to jump on the autobahn with just the top case running quick errands doing well over 100mph and never noticed or had issues...even side cases could still run well over 90-100mph with 50/50 tires and never noticed any issues...again this was on my upgraded suspension/2011 GS.

I asked just to see what others were doing, on trips like this usually run just side cases but thought I might ride with all three...just trying to keep a low profile - why I asked originally.

Erik

Okay everyone, this is an official Ride Leader Update:

I am leading a group from Austin, through San Antonio, to the Laredo border crossing and down to Santiago. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join my group!! We will pause and help everyone with the border crossing paperwork. It will be a full day, with sustained 80mph highway driving. Google suggests 7.5 hours of drive time from Austin to our hotel in Santiago + stops and time at the border, so maybe 10 or 11 hours total. (Riding solo, I've made the trip in 6 hrs, so it's hard to tell with a group!) We want to arrive before dusk, so while I openly recognize schedules don't work well in Mexico, us doing our best keeping to the schedule is important!

Again, to ride with my group on this first day it is REQUIRED that you can go 150 miles without getting gas AND you must be able to 80mph all day long. (I understand this is expected of everyone for this trip.) Once in Mexico my group may cautiously lane split through very slow or stationary traffic, and we will aggressively pass slow moving traffic.
I expect the riders in my group to stay together, always be carrying water and a small snack, wear full protective gear, and be mentally and physically prepared for a long, full day of riding, possibly through VERY hot weather. Next week temps around 115°F+ are forecasted for this desert region.
thank you!

Steve's group, Day 1 Travel Itinerary:
*8:00 departure from South Austin: *
On Saturday, June 22nd at 7:45am my group will meet at "H-E-B Fuel" in Buda (on the south-bound I-35 service road). We will leave at 8:00. Please have helmets on, kick stands up, and be actually ready to roll at 7:55am!
H-E-B Fuel:

We'll pause on the south side of San Antonio at the big Exxon on I-35 to pick up anyone who wants to meet us there. We will leave the Exxon at 9:30. This will give all of us from Austin a few extra minutes to top up our gas and double check our loaded gear after a little freeway time. Our next stop is 140 miles later in Laredo. We will not stop for gas along this stretch.
Exxon:

From here it's about 2 hours to the "Juárez–Lincoln International Bridge" at the Laredo/ Nuevo Laredo border crossing. We'll fuel up and pause to grab some pesos in Laredo before crossing. Be prepared with about $200-250usd to grab about $4000 in pesos to start the trip and pay for fuel, tolls, dinner, etc. There is a good place I like to use near the crossing -- we won't be shopping around for "the best rate." Currently the exchange rate is a very good $19.75pesos to $1usd; this of course may change.

Before crossing we'll regroup and fuel up in Laredo here:
Chevron Laredo

Border crossing probably will take less than an hour. If we get seperated crossing the border, we will regroup at the Banjercito - paperwork office.

It will take maybe 3.0 hrs from the border to Santiago. The first approx 75 miles is desert, possibly very hot, and there are no gas stations. (And the one or two along the way often have no gas!). There are a few of the more expensive toll road stops, maybe $120 pesos(?) so have cash and keep your receipt.
I'm not certain of everyone's housing arrangements, but the link below is to one of the hotels in downtown Santiago where some of us are staying. It's across the street from the nice Argentinian steak house we keep talking about. I hope to easily have us there in time for a nice dinner!

Hotel Las Palomas de Santiago

Last edited:
Here is a Google maps link to the route I just described. Note this is a dynamic link, and Google will modify the link according to traffic, the time of day, etc.

I also want to add that while we will be traveling fast, in the USA I do not intend to go fast enough to get any speeding tickets!

Last edited:
Group #2: I will be taking a group from Mission, staying overnight at the usual Clarion Mission. Departing 9 AM to the border crossing for paperwork. Then on to Santiago with the goal of visiting the waterfall (Cola de Caballo) and if time allows a ride upand back to Laguna De Sanchez for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of riding the amazingly fabulous Highway 20 already.

Dinner will be at the Argentinian or Italian Restaurant opposite the hotel Steve mentioned, Las Palomas, however we have 3 separate AirBnB houses booked that I will disseminate info to as soon as our roster or attendees is complete.

Group #3: David Bumpass will be staying overnight in Laredo and departing for the quick 3 hour run to Santiago on Saturday morning as well.

Group #4: Comprised of Tim Bearden of Austin right now, will be heading down a day early to Santiago. Tim will be leaving Austin Friday AM. I believe he is open to company if anyone wants to get a head start. He knows the area and will be able to get you situated in a hotel in Santiago with no issues.

Ok, Sir Richard Galahad, Ill join you to and from Mission, seeing I will come from FWorth on the day before.
See you at the hotel.Andre, And maybe Clingon

Howdy y'all. Who is the resident expert with getting TVIP- Temporary Vehicle Import Permits?
I just got a new TX DL... my registration on bike is from a different state (old address). My current insurance address matches my TX DL, only my Registration address is different.
Will this cause a hiccup at the border?
Should I register online ahead of time to avoid confusion?
Anyone who has had to deal with a similar situaiton please reach out ASAP.
Ben 573.644.4972

Howdy y'all. Who is the resident expert with getting TVIP- Temporary Vehicle Import Permits?
I just got a new TX DL... my registration on bike is from a different state (old address). My current insurance address matches my TX DL, only my Registration address is different.
Will this cause a hiccup at the border?
Should I register online ahead of time to avoid confusion?
Anyone who has had to deal with a similar situaiton please reach out ASAP.
Ben 573.644.4972

Yes, you can't go.
Seriously, if you take an out of state title and a TX lic to the border, they will not issue a permit. The name and address must match.
You have to go to an inspection office first and have it inspected, be sure to tell them you are applying for Texas title. Then go to the title office and transfer that title. The receipt that the title office gives you will work for a MX TVIP. They will issue a permit if the title receipt (registration receipt) matches your license name and address.

If they do not ask for the license it may work. I have been through the line without showing a lic. But if they ask, they will see the difference and deny it.
The title could be transferred quickly and the receipt used for the permit. Ben, is there a you do not want to transfer the title to TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back