• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
4th Annual MexTrek Adventure Ride​

Thursday, May 27 - Sunday, May 30, 2010

Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
(the Sierra Leon region)​

The Sierra Leon region (named by intrepid explorer Milton Otto) is a fantastic dual sport playground containing twisty mountain roads, a seemingly uncountable number of class 1 through class 4 unpaved roads, beautiful mountain vistas, pine forests, desert highlands, and unbelievable mountain passes. I suggest that the dual sport adventure riding here is as good as that in the Copper Canyon region. Not only is it a great riding area, but it isn't particularly far away either. In fact, for many Texas riders it is essentially in their backyards (a 1 day ride). So, in short, don't miss the 4th annual Mextrek adventure ride. It's the best adventure ride all year.

Registration is open - Registration is $35. All registered riders will receive the new edition of the MexTrek ride guide - a 68 page, spiral bound guide, three 11x17 topographical maps, GPS route downloads, and a commemorative t-shirt. Download the registration form here, complete it and get it in the mail to me. To download - click on the above link and then save the form to your computer.

Registration ends Wednesday, May 12, 2010. Registrations must be postmarked on or before May 12th to ensure sufficient time to receive and process your registration and then mail your Ride Guide and maps to you. Registrations postmarked after May 12th likely won’t receive their Ride Guide and maps prior to leaving for Galeana.

If you miss registration, you can still attend. Just catch up with me in Galeana and I'll get you signed up. I'm bring some extra ride guides, maps, and t-shirts but make no guarantee that any or all these items will be available if you wait to register. Your best bet is to get registered by the deadline, but, hey, sometimes things happen.

Itinerary

Dates: Thursday, May 27 - Sunday, May 30

Organization: MexTrek begins Thursday morning, May 27th at the Motel 6 in McAllen, TX. We will have a brief riders meeting, break up into small teams of 4-10 riders, cross the border, and spend the day getting to Galeana. The first half of the day consists of riding highway west to the mountains, the second half of the day consists of riding some fantastic paved and non-paved roads through the mountains to Galeana.

Friday and Saturday consist of day rides from Galeana. Riders will organize into teams and go ride the team's chosen route.

MexTrek officially ends Sunday morning but Sunday can also be an extra riding day for anyone who didn't get enough on Thu - Sat.

Ride Headquarters:
Hotel Magdelana
Intersection of 5 de Mayo & 15 de Mayo streets
Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico (town of Galeana, state of Nuevo Leon)
Hotel Magdalena: telephone 826-213-0106 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0106)

The other hotel in Galeana, in case the ride headquarters hotel is full:
Hotel Jardin: telephone 826-213-0420 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0420)

FAQs

Why Memorial Day Weekend? I only get X number of vacation days each year so I tend to schedule rallies on long weekends as a way to conserve vacation days, allowing me organize more rallies in a given year.

Travel Planning - Most Texas riders can leave sometime on Wednesday and get to McAllen by Wednesday evening. Then Thursday becomes a fun day of riding to Galeana and not a day of boring highway travel. On Sunday, riders can simply reverse this - have a great dual sport ride on Sunday and end up at, or across, the border Sun evening, then get home at a decent time on Monday.

What should I ride? There is an abundance of riding opportunities in this part of Mexico. A variety of different routes of varying terrain and difficulty are available to choose from so any adventure or dual sport bike will be fine. If you have a limited fuel range, strap a 1-2 gallon gas can on your bike and you will be okay.

Is it safe? Most riders have heard the stories about the drug wars going on in Mexico so the question i get asked most often is whether it is safe to travel/ride in Mexico. Yes, I think it is safe to ride in Mexico if you follow some basic safety guidelines such as don't ride at night, don't buy/sell drugs, or don't go out drinking at night in a border town by yourself. If you observe the same safety guidelines you would follow anywhere, you will most likely not have any issues.

What's the best route to get to Galeana? You can cross into Mexico at a number of places, but for most riders I recommend McAllen. It's less touristy and makes for the shortest ride to Galeana. Even better, join the group on Thursday morning and have a great ride to Galeana.

Should I join the group ride? If you have never been to Mexico, are unsure of crossing the border by yourself, or just want to ride to Galeana with a group then the group ride to Galeana is the ticket. There will be a group ride from McAllen to Galeana starting on Thursday morning May 27th. All riders are invited to meet in the parking lot of the Motel 6 in McAllen at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday morning May 27th with their border crossing paperwork already completed for a group ride to Galeana. Riders will organize into groups of 4-10 riders, select a ride leader for each group, and then each group will ride together across the border and on to Galeana.

By the way - get your border crossing paperwork done before Thursday morning. The groups will cross the border and keep on trucking. The groups won't be waiting for anyone who hasn't done their border paperwork.

Motel 6
700 W. Expressway 83
McAllen, TX
956-687-3700

Where to leave your truck/trailer in McAllen: If you trailered/trucked to McAllen and are riding from there to Galeana you can leave your truck/trailer in long term parking at the McAllen airport. The cost is reasonable and your vehicle should be reasonably safe.

Last edited:
What's involved in getting the border crossing paperwork completed before the Thursday group ride date? Is that something I can do prior to arriving in McAllen? I live in San Antonio.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR-650

What's involved in getting the border crossing paperwork completed before the Thursday group ride date? Is that something I can do prior to arriving in McAllen? I live in San Antonio.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR-650

You can get your vehicle's Temporary Import Permit online at Banjercito (just go over to right-hand side under "Conozca" and click on Application for Temporary Import Permit) but you will have to get your Tourist Permit (FMT) on the other side of the border...

Or just click Here

You can also get your TVIP at the Mexican consulate in:

Dallas
Houston
Austin
Ft Worth

Tourist visas at the aduana at the border

Mexico motorcycle insurance - don't leave home without it

Thanks for the links and info. I will try to make this ride if I can. Sounds like fun!!!! I'll know more about my availability in April. In the meantime, I'll keep tabs on the forum.

Bill
2008 KLR 650

Or just click Here

Dallas
Houston
Austin
Ft Worth

That is on the the to do list. Also planning for full Mexican insurance including air-vac if needed. Based on what Richard has said, it ain't too expensive.

I don't intend to crash though.

El Baboso

Also planning for full Mexican insurance including air-vac if needed.

There are underwriters who will also include bike recovery if you look around. I have an ongoing policy with MedJet that does this for $25/year

I don't intend to crash though.

Nobody intends to crash. It happens.

I crashed outside of Puerto Vallarta. I came very close to using MedJet for me and the bike. Eventually fixed me and the bike and continued on in Mexico, but I was glad I had the option if I needed it.

Loved reading the ride reports from the last one. Will have to see if I can obtain a 3rd bike before May! :-)

I will be driving my truck with trailer all the way to Galeana. For anyone on a smaller dual sport who doesn't want to trek in the Mexican portion of the pavement ride, or just doesn't wanna carry luggage or tools, I can probably make room.

Last year I rode with Waylon and got dropped at the edge of the mountains and rode the last 100 miles north thru Rayones and back down to Galeana. It's a perfect way to get to Galeana, and save some seat time.

I can probably medi-vac a bike out too if needed. No need to pay a local cowboy in a pick-up $300 for a one way trip home.

Is it too early to ask the wife for a kitchen pass? I just got back from Big Bend. What is a reasonable period of time to wait before droping the "honey i want to take the bike across the border to Mexico" bomb?

Quick endorsement for MedJet Assist. On a recent trip to Baja, I flipped in sand, broke collar bone, rib, pride, etc. I wasn't hurt bad enough for evacuation, but obviously wasn't going to ride 1200 GS home. MedJet arranged for bike to get to repair shop in San Antonio area. All costs covered by the policy. Phone is 800 527 7478.

I should be recovered by May, but am not sure this is a suitable ride for big GS. Especially one with recently installed training wheels.

-Hap

I could insert here that I pointed out to Hap before Baja that his GS would be a handful, and that a smaller bike would be more suitable/fun.

However, I won't insert that here I'll just wish you well Hap :sun:

Have you guys read the notes from Homeland Security and DPS about travel to Mexico just now?
This from Homeland Security here in San Angelo:

This is forwarded to you by the State of Texas State Operations Center (SOC).

March 4, 2010

DPS urges Spring Break travelers to avoid Mexico

The Texas Department of Public Safety is urging all Texas Spring Breakers to avoid traveling to border cities in Mexico.

"There is an increase in Mexican drug cartel related violence in the northern Mexican border cities. Parents should not allow their children to visit these Mexican cities because their safety cannot be guaranteed," said DPS director Steven C. McCraw.

The U.S. State Department web site lists several travel alerts related to violence in Mexico. Travelers should always check that web site for the most up-to-date information related to security issues in Mexico. (See http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html).

We are also hearing that the cartels are about to have a full war along the border and were advised to even stay away from Laredo and other border towns just now.
We were told that the Mexican Federales were told to back off and let the war go on and then pick up the survivors.
Pretty to visit but not during a war.

Ride safe.

Excellent

Now there will even be less gringos down there....the perfect time to travel to Mexico

Or just click Here

Dallas
Houston
Austin
Ft Worth

I was thinking about going to the local consulate here in Austin so I called to find out what I needed to bring with me. (1-877-210-9469)
The gentleman didn't speak the best English but here is what he told me I needed to bring. I wanted to confirm that other folks have done the same.
  • Title
  • Passport (ID)
  • Drivers License

He also said I needed to arrive early, before 8:00 AM but did not need an appointment and that it would cost about $40.00.

I was thinking about going to the local consulate here in Austin so I called to find out what I needed to bring with me. (1-877-210-9469)
The gentleman didn't speak the best English but here is what he told me I needed to bring. I wanted to confirm that other folks have done the same.
  • Title
  • Passport (ID)
  • Drivers License

He also said I needed to arrive early, before 8:00 AM but did not need an appointment and that it would cost about $40.00.

(1) Title OR registration, must have one OR the other
Note: most people use registration; either will work

(2) Passport OR passport card, must have one OR the other

(3) Credit OR debit card, must have one or the other
Note: Make sure you call your card company BEFORE using the card in Mexico, to avoid problems.
Note: Make sure the name on the credit card matches the name on the passport and the registration, in other words, names must match. If you are concerned about this, PM me and I'll advise you over the phone.

You will not need to display your drivers license or any other documents

You can get your TVIP online here

Be sure to consider Mexico insurance for your bike - at least liability. If you ride in Mexico and are involved in an accident where there are injuries or damages to others, you'll wish you had it.

Back