• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

I've removed a lot of the recent posting about violence in Mexico. This thread is not really the place for it. This thread is about the planning and organization of the ride. There are plenty of other threads regarding potential violence in Mexico. Please keep such discussion in those threads.

I've removed a lot of the recent posting about violence in Mexico. This thread is not really the place for it. This thread is about the planning and organization of the ride. There are plenty of other threads regarding potential violence in Mexico. Please keep such discussion in those threads.

:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Scott! It was really starting to bug me.

Thanks, Scott. I don't mind people discussing it, I just think it needs to be discussed in an appropriate thread.

Has anyone been to Laguna Labradores, the stone arch, or the giant sinkhole near Galeana? A bunch of the pictures on the web and google earth are of these 3 natural wonder sites. I'm wondering if any are worth the side trips.

Has anyone been to Laguna Labradores, the stone arch, or the giant sinkhole near Galeana? A bunch of the pictures on the web and google earth are of these 3 natural wonder sites. I'm wondering if any are worth the side trips.
You drove right over the "stone arch" if you ever rode between Rayones and Galeana on the dirt road. The road goes over the Puente de Dios. There are a couple of parking places on each side of it. You have to be looking for it, dismount, and follow the trail (or stairs on the other side) down to really see it.

The Laguna and sinkhole I wasn't so impressed with but I made the trip.

The sinkhole "Pozo del Gavilán" makes for an interesting stop. It's located on the paved road towads Cerro Potosi - but with no signage it can be tricky to find. We had to stop several times and get directions from locals.

It is a looooong way to the bottom. Here Wayland demonstrates proper form for surviving a peek at the bottom.

688476909_GeMSw-L.jpg

The sinkhole "Pozo del Gavilán" makes for an interesting stop.
Thank you Jerry. I was thinking "Poza del Aguila" but it didn't sound right and I was too lazy to look it up.
What's the difference between a gavilán and an aguila anyway?
One's a hawk and the other an eagle?

Puente de Dios is worth the stop. Get off stretch your legs and make the climb down into the gorge. They were building new steps when we went stopped January of last year. I was catching back up to the group after a bike had ceased running and was loaded up in a truck last Mex-Trek... otherwise I was going to stop our group there to visit.

Mex Trek Tech Day

Anybody needing maintenance for this trip be sure to see the post in General Dirtiness for the next tech day/fish fry at my place.

May 15 th is coming soon......

Thanks Scott.............I wuz gettin real skeerd readin all that scary stuff!

My ATT phone had excellent reception in Galeana.

When making calls outside the US: dial +1 (area code) (local number)

tip - press and hold down the 0 key to create the + symbol

My ATT has service south of border at least to Galeana.
My Verizon didn't.
Whenever I call the states I just hit the # stored in my cell phone and it connects.

How do the folks that don't speak Spanish make hotel reservations in Galeana?

How do the folks that don't speak Spanish make hotel reservations in Galeana?
I guess find a translator is the best method.

Alternately, get someone who is going early to reserve a room.

On the another hand, I find it hard to imagine that there would not be a room for all of us. Seriously.

Got a question about the BiciMapas GPS software. I noticed that for the 2010 version, they now have unlock codes... :argh: Does anyone know if you get only one, or perhaps two, unlock codes with the purchase of the software? I would like to be able to have the maps on my 276CS and also on my 60CS (backup unit), but I sure don't want to have to pay for two copies of the software.

I tried emailing them, but I never seem to have much luck getting replies from them :shrug:

Got a question about the BiciMapas GPS software. I noticed that for the 2010 version, they now have unlock codes... :argh: Does anyone know if you get only one, or perhaps two, unlock codes with the purchase of the software? I would like to be able to have the maps on my 276CS and also on my 60CS (backup unit), but I sure don't want to have to pay for two copies of the software.

I tried emailing them, but I never seem to have much luck getting replies from them :shrug:

The license is for one copy only of the map. They do offer a second copy for an addional $22, but look at the E32 map from Cartografias, it is a much better map. Check out my earlier post for sceenshots.

The license is for one copy only of the map. They do offer a second copy for an addional $22, but look at the E32 map from Cartografias, it is a much better map. Check out my earlier post for sceenshots.

:tab I like having the GPS in addition to the better paper map. That way I am less likely to get confused about where I am on the paper map.

:doh:

I just went back and reread your post and realized that you were talking about a different version GPS map. I thought you were talking about a paper map :oops: Where did you purchase it? I can't read much spanish, so hopefully if you got it online, you got it from a site that has an english version :-P

Back