• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

Re: Electricity in Galeana, Mexico

You should go so I can finally harass you face to face. :trust:

Richard, how many folks are currently signed up right now?

You harass me? I though I was the one to always harass you?!? ;-)

The trip is looking more and more inviting. I need a seat for my XRL though.

You harass me? I though I was the one to always harass you?!? ;-)

The trip is looking more and more inviting. I need a seat for my XRL though.
I've got a spare stocker you can borrow, we cant let you get off that easy...
:trust:

I hate to miss it again but family obligations are keeping me close to home for the time being. I would really like to be riding in MX again with you fine folks.

Have fun, ride safe, and watch out for the Chupacabra's.:lol2:

Kenny

I've got a spare stocker you can borrow, we cant let you get off that easy...
:trust:

I've got a line on one through SeanTX another brother from a different mother... but I'll keep yours in mind if that doesnt work out!

Getting Insurance?
Mexican Pro offers a package for the North East States (Nuevo Leon, Tamaulips and Coqahuila) looks like it covered all the riding area? Or do I need to get the one that covers all Mexico. :giveup:
Thanks, Ronnie

Ronnie,

Unless you go decide to go exploring south or west of the main riding area you should be okay with insurance for the northeast states only.

MEXPRO seems like a good alternative, but I've only checked out their website and haven't had any dealings with them.

AusFletch and I and other use Mexadventure. They have bailed Fred out of a jam around Real 14 and I have personally been on the phone with the owner of the company.

Either way, having bounced a motorcycle in Mexico without insurance I can tell you your instinct to have at least liability coverage is a smart move. And I know enough people who have been punched down there and have been lucky to have been covered in-country, to tell you the coverage is cheap compared to the hassel of not having it.

I"m with Trice on this one. Mexican insurance is a great idea. Full coverage is an even better idea. It comes with medivac services and will get you back to the US if you have a problem.

Which of course led to the fact we had the ride of a lifetime built out of those crazy moments when you go first and think later.

But I of course may be in the minority on this approach.

Thanks Richard and Tricepilot (Bob?)
Used Mexadventure in 07 on another bike but they do not offer full coverage on the HP2. Work has been slow but waiting for every thing to be right may never happen. Rain or Shine I am in…

I had put this out there before but no takers. Is anyone interested in sharing a room at the Motel 6 on Wednesday before we cross? :shrug:

Ahemm.
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things...."

So, Ok guys. Here’s the straight skinny on MexTrek 2010. Short and sweet. Well, perhaps neither.

Three weeks ago some of us received via PM’s and emails, a couple of warnings regarding travel in Mexico. Warnings from respected riders. Rafael was one, and Roberto (who lives in Monterrey), another. This gave Richard, Tricepilot and I pause as to the wisdom of proceeding with MexTrek this year. After much thought. Richard asked me to share the warnings.

Honestly, I half expected Richard to call off MexTrek for this year. As Trice points out, Mexico ain’t going anywhere and it’ll be there next year.

The warnings seemed on face value hard to ignore. With MexTrek in limbo, and Richard, Trice, and JThomson in New Mexico exploring new territory, I had to ask myself, “Will I go anyway?” This was not an easy decision. No one wants to do anything stupid. In the end, I decided yes, I will go. Richard made the same decision independently. My decision to go didn’t come easily, and in the end I think everyone of you needs to be keenly aware of the situation.

If you haven’t already been following the threads, Travel in Mexico, and Is Mexico Safe? you should take the time to read them.

Personally, I'm finding this link to be very helpful in understanding what's going on. ValleyCentral.com
ValleyCentral.com gives up to the hour reports from the border. Alas, I cannot find an archive link for this site.
Borderland Beat has archives, and perhaps it is the better source of info of the two.

I encourage everyone planning on going to Galeana to read as much as you can. The decision you make to go or not, should be a personal decision, and not one made to save face or show cohones.

Basically, what's going on is a turf war between CDG (Cartel del Gulfo) and Los Zetas. See also. One of the battle grounds is la frontera chica, a stretch from Reynosa Westwards to Mier, including Cd. Miguel Aleman and Camargo between, and Comales, south of Camargo. Get your maps out. Start educating yourself.

Recently there was a big bust at a ranch near General Bravo. There was a shoot out at the international bridge in Camargo. One Saturday night recently three Reynosa police stations were attacked in the same busy night, with reports of grenades being used. Another incident, four dead on the Cuota Hwy 40, the Cuota road closed down, (briefly).

As horrific as all this is, as I read these reports over and over, reading between the lines, I’m getting the picture that it’s a turf war in very specific areas. The police are like the clean up crew. They are not targeting tourists or civilians. That being said, in the last few weeks the bad guys have started attacking the police and military.
Is it possible to catch a stray bullet? Well, yes. Possible. Likely? No.

After the shoot out at the toll booth at the international bridge?…. Two Mexican customs inspectors came up missing. So escuche. You have to ask yourself, why would these bad guys hit an international bridge toll booth? Money? Are you kidding?. It had to be the customs inspectors. Double cross? Vendetta? Your guess is as good as mine.

There have been warnings of carjackings of nice big trucks and SUV's. Travel in groups. Travel by daylight. Do your research. Myself, I may go early, returning to the border to assist leading riders to Galeana.

On the other hand, you have things like this: April 2010 riders in Mexico and this Pirate John's weekend.

Since you brought it up and to get to the "skinny".

To be clear, there are no plans of any kind to cancel the trip. Correct?!!

That's correct. MexTrek is ON for those who which to come.

As Milton said MexTrek is on.

The main point we wanted to make was to say, hey, if you haven't taken the time to read the facts (and not just the hype, rumors, and speculations) about what is going on around Reynosa then we suggest you do so. That way you can make an informed decision about attending MexTrek.

As Milton said MexTrek is on.

The main point we wanted to make was to say, hey, if you haven't taken the time to read the facts (and not just the hype, rumors, and speculations) about what is going on around Reynosa then we suggest you do so. That way you can make an informed decision about attending MexTrek.
That's what I was trying to say. Thanks Rich.

That's correct. MexTrek is ON for those who which to come.

I which to come wit chu, senor.

I get it. Daytime, main roads, group, and get away from the border. I'm still in. Haven't heard anyone say they are going down early on Wednesday. If anyone does, email me.

I'm still in...

813219927_nhbvx-XL.jpg

813220647_ekNeQ-XL.jpg

813220456_VAJuC-XL.jpg

:chug:

Back