• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

Re: Advertising Insert

Oaxacan black mole is the zenith of cuisine and everybody should try some along with chapulines fritos :sun:

Back to your scheduled programming :mrgreen:

204095715v3_480x480_Front.jpg

Public Broadcasting Station

You're in Galeana, NL, Mexico. It's 5 AM and you're in your hotel room in the Magdalena.

You can't sleep.

You toss.

You turn.

You're excited to be in the mountains and you're in another country and you can't wait to ride and see Mexico and feel something new.

So....

Get up, go to the restuarant next door and have a cup a coffee. Then another. Have 3 more.

Then go sit on the balcony and watch the sunrise over Los Labradores to the east. Feel the chill turn to warmth. Observe as the morning working class stirs to the tasks of the day.

Smell the air. The tortillas. The eggs. The frying fat. Hear the bantar of everyday life. One truck, then four. Kids walking to school.

Sweepers on the zocalo.

Buenas Dias

You're in Mexico. And there isn't a place like it, anywhere.

God broke the mold.

He wants you to enjoy what He created.

Enjoy your sunrise in Old Mexico :sun:

Trice,

The first trip I took to interior Mexico as an adult I was offered a view the first morning very similar to this:

2761695990084434906jUsbEG_fs.jpg

Woke up, took a stroll to the central market in Guanajuato, had a fresh delicious chicken sammich, 2 tall glasses of OJ, a ripe banana... Walked around town for an hour or two. Mexico is very different than what is commonly portrayed. In it's own way it's charming, simple, honest, organized, and total chaos all at once.

hpim0048c.jpg

Wander a town like this for a couple of days and the impressions last a lifetime. In Guanajuato you don't know if you are in Europe, South America, or Mexico. People are friendly, rooms cheap, food excellent, nightlife entertaining!

Ha. Clayton and I have stayed in the Hotel San Diego on occasion.
61874863_HiaaL-M.jpg

We quickly learned we preferred Guanajuato over nearby San Miguel.

Trying to have dinner in Guanajuato and you've got this going on.
61874830_F9MpB-M.jpg

Ahhh, dreams of Guanajuato.
But we're going here!

411904857_MvSfV-L-1.jpg

Pilon valley, approaching Rayones on the paved road.
Really. Does it get any better than this?

OK what the heck. I'll see all you poets, photographers, backward motorbike riders, and wannabees next week. Pinklloyd is in.

Just an FYI: the MexTrek t-shirt order was placed last week when registration ended. If you are attending and didn't register (shadman? anyone else?) I didn't order a shirt for you...

I might be able to add shirts to the order for those who missed registration but you would need to let me know today. I'm picking up the shirts on Friday evening from the printer.

Yes sir, sorry I didn't follow up earlier. I finally got it finalized that I'm going down with a few guys Tuesday night and then we are going to cross the border early Weds morning.

I'll be at the Motel 6 Tuesday night. Look for a black & yellow F800GS. I'll follow you across.

I'll be at the Motel 6 Tuesday night. Look for a black & yellow F800GS. I'll follow you across.

Excellent. I'll PM you with my cell if you want to call Tuesday night. We are going to leave Austin between 5 and 6 so we should get in between 10 and 11. John was talking about going and getting the tourist visa Tuesday night. I think we are going to play that by ear depending on what time we actually get there.

FYI for any of you who bank at Wells Fargo. Just because a branch is listed as carrying foreign money, you have to call to ensure there is an international teller on site that can help you. I got directed to another bank. :argh:

I know this was discussed earlier but just wanted to confirm.

Bike Bonded - Credit Card that can be used internationally. You'll need this to get your bike bonded when entering the country or put up $500.00 cash to be held until you exit Mexico.

Bike Bonded - Credit Card that can be used internationally. You'll need this to get your bike bonded when entering the country or put up $500.00 cash to be held until you exit Mexico.

Yes, that is correct. My experience has been that most credit cards can be used internationally. I know of only 1 person in 1 situation where his bank wouldn't allow international charges on his card.

It might be a good idea to call your credit card company and let them know ahead of time that you will be out of the country so that when they see the charges, they do not decline them and make you call them then.

I know this was discussed earlier but just wanted to confirm.

Visa and Mastercard Credit Cards work. Visa/MC Debit cards do not work. Card must be credit rather than debit. If you have a typical Visa or MC Credit Card, you'll be OK. Not sure about pre-paid cards. Probably best to have a normal one.

I think this has something do with customers having better rights to dispute charges with a debit card vs credit card, but not sure.

Visa and Mastercard Credit Cards work. Visa/MC Debit cards do not work. Card must be credit rather than debit. If you have a typical Visa or MC Credit Card, you'll be OK. Not sure about pre-paid cards. Probably best to have a normal one.

I think this has something do with customers having better rights to dispute charges with a debit card vs credit card, but not sure.

Umm. I do not have a credit card and I used my Visa debit card twice to get my TVIP.;-)

Yes, that is correct. My experience has been that most credit cards can be used internationally. I know of only 1 person in 1 situation where his bank wouldn't allow international charges on his card.

Yes, most CC work outside the US, but most also charge the user a fee, usually 3%, for charges made in a foreign currency or outside the US. I don't know if that would apply to a deposit or not.

Umm. I do not have a credit card and I used my Visa debit card twice to get my TVIP.;-)

And I have witnessed refusals at the Colombia crossing. Guess it depends on whether or not they are paying attention.

:tab And that might easily be related to what I was talking about where credit card companies monitor purchases and block suspicious ones. For someone that has never been out of the country, I could see theirs not working. For someone that has been out of the country, I could see theirs working fine. The best thing to do is call YOUR specific company and make sure ahead of time so you are not sitting there with a useless card when you need it most ;-)

Just an FYI: the MexTrek t-shirt order was placed last week when registration ended. If you are attending and didn't register (shadman? anyone else?) I didn't order a shirt for you...

I might be able to add shirts to the order for those who missed registration but you would need to let me know today. I'm picking up the shirts on Friday evening from the printer.

Hey Richard,

Since the group I am riding with is crossing Weds morning is it going to be a problem to get the T-shirts from you in Galeana or should we try to get them from you when you get back? I don't want you to have to carry anything you don't have to.

Thanks

It looks like I will be on the ride by myself. My buddy just backed out.

I'm riding down from the San Antonio area to McAllen on Wednesday morning.

I do have a room in Galeana.

I would like to meet up with a group at Motel 6 on Thursday morning for the ride to Galeana.

I would also like to to ride across on Wednesday afternoon or early evening to get my tourist visa with someone who knows more than I do, or at least I don't want to go alone.

Sander

Back