• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

We should get into McAllen early enough Tuesday night, we can ride across the old bridge and get visas. Plans subject to change of course...

We should get into McAllen early enough Tuesday night, we can ride across the old bridge and get visas. Plans subject to change of course...
Keep your eyes open at the new Anzalduas bridge re: CIITEV/car permits.

Heads up central Texas riders - the Mexican Consulate in Austin has moved to a new location. Their new address is 410 Baylor Street (one block west of Lamar, on Baylor Street, between 4th and 5th streets). Just an FYI if you are planning on doing your vehicle permit paperwork there.

Well, with much anguish and probable regret, I am going to pass on this trip. You guys have fun and be safe. I look forward to the ride reports. If anyone wants to talk with me about this, please use the PM's to avoid cluttering up this thread.

I left my office about 11 to go down to Brazos St and get my permit. Oh well, it didnt take too long to find the new location on Baylor and now they have a parking lot. It took no more than 10 minutes to get the permit and the lady confirmed that as long as the start date on a permit had not passed, she could cancel it.
John

Heads up central Texas riders - the Mexican Consulate in Austin has moved to a new location. Their new address is 410 Baylor Street (one block west of Lamar, on Baylor Street, between 4th and 5th streets). Just an FYI if you are planning on doing your vehicle permit paperwork there.

Re: Reynosa Getaway

I think this is the quickest fastest Get-ur-papers-and-Get-tha-puck-outathere route thru Reynosa,
if you are crossing at the McAllen (Hidalgo)-Reynosa bridge, that is.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

This route avoids fumbling thru confusing downtown Reynosa.

After crossing the bridge and passing the Mexican customs exactly where the bridge ends, you may not even realize this is Mexican customs, you may (or may not) be stopped for a very cursory "inspection", after this watch for the blue CIITEV (Car Permits) sign. The building is on the Rio Grande river, to the left of the bridge as you cross into Mexico. Or just remember to turn left at the plaza area (do not ride straight thru the plaza, turn left before it).

I always get my Tourist "card" papers at the CIITEV building (also where you'll get your vehicle permit if you haven't already done so). It's huge, has lots of parking with security attendants, and just seems less confusing and intimidating than the Mexican customs right at the bridge.

This is the route after the CIITEV building.

The route will probably be signed for Matamoros at first.
I know this is confusing but soon you will given the choice of Monterrey or Matamoros, where you choose Monterrey.

After you clear all vestiges of Reynosa, Hwy 40 splits into Monterrey Cuota (toll) or Monterrey Libre (free). I recommend the cuota. Do your sight seeing and cultural exchange further inland.

Great info, Milton, thanks. But what if I have my TVIP, do I need to stop on the way in, or just check in on the way back to the US. Refresh my memory, please.

Been too preoccupied with racing here recently, been spending all my moola on that. Really wishing I could go on this trip. I'll be ready when Mexpedition comes around in November though.

Great info, Milton, thanks. But what if I have my TVIP, do I need to stop on the way in, or just check in on the way back to the US. Refresh my memory, please.
You have a TVIP for your vehicle but you probably need a Tourist "card" for your person. (It's not really a "card" per se, but that's what I call it.) You can get said tourist permit, whatever you want to call it, at the Mexican customs right at the Mexico side of the bridge, I think. (I think that's where you would get it if you were entering Mexico on a bus.) Personally, I don't like this place, the Mexican aduana, and I just do it at the CIITEV building 'cause usually I gotta go there anyway.
If you already have your TVIP papers, I suggest you go to the CIITEV building anyway to get your tourist permit. It's much more relaxed there.
And..... it's on the way out of town.
or just check in on the way back to the US.
You definitely don't want to forget that.

You have a TVIP for your vehicle but you probably need a Tourist "card" for your person. (It's not really a "card" per se, but that's what I call it.) You can get said tourist permit, whatever you want to call it, at the Mexican customs right at the Mexico side of the bridge, I think. (I think that's where you would get it if you were entering Mexico on a bus.) Personally, I don't like this place, the Mexican aduana, and I just do it at the CIITEV building 'cause usually I gotta go there anyway.
If you already have your TVIP papers, I suggest you go to the CIITEV building anyway to get your tourist permit. It's much more relaxed there.
And..... it's on the way out of town.
You definitely don't want to forget that.

Fantastic, thanks. This thread is great. Can't wait to get on the road. Oil changed, fasteners tightened, installed cheap KTM folding mirrors. Just gotta pick which tires to run and decide whether to ride from Dallas or truck to McAllen.

New tires installed. Oil changed. New battery getting installed today. Brake fluid changed. New spark plug installed. 2 extra spark plugs with cases acquired. Extra cables and levers acquired. Full 360 inspection. Paul at Zabor's told me yesterday that my bike is in mint condition and ready to roll.

I have new side racks on the way this week that I'm hoping will work better with the saddlebags I bought. REI is blowing these out. I would have preferred the yellow but at the price and being waterproof, I couldn't pass up the deal.

http://www.rei.com/product/800388

25a8a8a2-6e3c-4bd0-acc9-f39cbbc21c17.jpg

Also picked up 2 of these that work excellent for carrying tools and odds and ends.

http://www.rei.com/product/800389

2acc2e8b-52d9-40dd-a036-6705d7f3089b.jpg

New weekend I'm going to load up the bike with everything on it and take it out for a test ride in the hill country and see how it feels and ensure I've balanced and secured everything.

Counting the days!! :rider:

Hey TerraXpeditions,

What sprocket ratio did you run on your XR650L when you went to Mexico?

I have a 45T rear and 14T and 15T front. I was planning on running the 15T on the ride to Galeana but was thinking about switching out to the 14T for all the day rides.

Thoughts?
ear.gif

I ran stock gearing. I brought a 14t also, but never changed it. I really didnt feel the need, except on my "Nothing special" route... but its only a couple miles long. Steep and rocky with the side of angry toro.

Richard, did you add that route to the book or saving it for later? John (JThompson) should have the route and be able to somewhat guide folks. I was bloody sick on that route last year... it sucked. Fell twice because I couldnt keep the bike upright in a couple of easy turns!

Richard,

I have a Zumo 550 GPS with the stock NA mapping package. Do I need to or should I buy the Garmin Mexico Atlas 2010 package or BiciMaps or some other package to use the provided GPS routes files for this trip?

Thanks,

Bill Payne
2008 KLR 650
bpayne13@aol.com

I have changed my mind and decided not to attend this year's trip. Y'all have fun down there!

Richard,

I have a Zumo 550 GPS with the stock NA mapping package. Do I need to or should I buy the Garmin Mexico Atlas 2010 package or BiciMaps or some other package to use the provided GPS routes files for this trip?

Thanks,

Bill Payne
2008 KLR 650
bpayne13@aol.com

If you intend to make more trips to Mexico in the future, go ahead and buy it. Otherwise, save your money and just follow the groups!

Richard,
bpayne13@aol.com

I would get Bicimapas or another native Mexico mapping program.

Use it for situational awareness and disable the autorouting function.

I'd pass on the Garmin Mexico mapping products until they vastly improve.

You're just a few easy steps away from having all of Richard's routes on your Zumo - and the Zumo can help you understand where you are when transiting the border towns and the pass-through towns.

Since you already have the Zumo you might as well add the Mexico mapping software. If you didn't already have a GPS you could get away with teaming up who does, but why not take the extra, easy step since you already do.

Note: When approaching the border make sure you don't have both a U.S. mapping product and a Mexico mapping product active at the same time, your Zumo could lock up in this instance.

Note: Autorouting in Mexico has not been my friend. I turn off that feature each and every time in Mexico. For situational awareness the Zumo and Bicimapas (or your choice of another Mexico mapping product but no Garmins) is excellent. Always carry and use your paper map (recommend Guia Roji).

Bill,

I'll echo Tricepilot's comments and suggest buying the Bicimaps.

I strongly urge you to carry the paper maps too and not rely solely on the GPS.

Finally, I use the autorouting with Bicimaps, but I am also always crosschecking with the paper map.

Galeana Hotel Notes - Cancelations

MexTrekkers who have made reservations at either the Magdalena or the El Jardin in Galeana and who are not going on the trip - please cancel your reservations with the respective hotel.

This is important to maintain good relations with both hotels.

Bill,

I'll echo Tricepilot's comments and suggest buying the Bicimaps.

I strongly urge you to carry the paper maps too and not rely solely on the GPS.

Finally, I use the autorouting with Bicimaps, but I am also always crosschecking with the paper map.

Thanks Richard and Tricepilot. I know I can always depend on your solid advice.

Just another question, what time should we plan on crossing over the border at McAllen on Wednesday afternoon/evening to get our "tourist permits"? Is there a group that will be doing that? I have my TVIP and just e-mailed in my "promise to return" and copies of the other title documents/passport, etc. I plan on riding with the group on Thursday AM to Galeana.

Bill (AKA Juan Pelota)

Bill,

There isn't an organized "tourist permit" ride over to the border on Wed afternoon/evening. Riders just do it whenever. If you hang out in the parking lot of the Motel 6 on Wed afternoon you can probably link up with some riders headed over to do their paperwork.

Of the 25 who have sent in registration I know of only one who has announced he isn't attending.

I ran stock gearing. I brought a 14t also, but never changed it. I really didnt feel the need, except on my "Nothing special" route... but its only a couple miles long. Steep and rocky with the side of angry toro.

Richard, did you add that route to the book or saving it for later? John (JThompson) should have the route and be able to somewhat guide folks. I was bloody sick on that route last year... it sucked. Fell twice because I couldnt keep the bike upright in a couple of easy turns!

Hi Scott, this is the track I have from Friday. The new guide shows this, but also a larger loop to the northwest, that we didnt ride Friday. Our loop was short, only about 50 miles, the loop in the guide says 96 miles. I dunno...
Pm me for .gpx's

Back