• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

Hey Milton,
I met you out at Harry Miller's place a few years ago. I was on the XR650. I'm seriously thinking about doing this trip. Wonder if the 950 would be too big?
Me encanta Mexico!
jim

Welcome to the site Jim! :wave:

Jim, if Richard rides your KTM, expect a post on twtex soon about how he's dumping the Husky for that bike.

:rofl:

Hey Milton,
I met you out at Harry Miller's place a few years ago. I was on the XR650. I'm seriously thinking about doing this trip. Wonder if the 950 would be too big?
Me encanta Mexico!
jim
Hey Jim!
Great to hear from you. (Richard et al, you may remember me stopping by Harry Miller's in Candalaria.)
Jim, I figure you'll be ok on whatever you bring. I'm riding a 2005 DRZ400 now (when not on the hog). Solorider rides a TransAlp like it was a Bultaco or something.

Come on down and get in on our little secret, the best kept secret in Mexico.

Milton,
I think you got me mixed up with Izzy, I wish I had that Transalp tho!

Hey Jim!
Great to hear from you. (Richard et al, you may remember me stopping by Harry Miller's in Candalaria.)
Jim, I figure you'll be ok on whatever you bring. I'm riding a 2005 DRZ400 now (when not on the hog). Solorider rides a TransAlp like it was a Bultaco or something.

Come on down and get in on our little secret, the best kept secret in Mexico.

Milton,
I think you got me mixed up with Izzy, I wish I had that Transalp tho!
Ooops! :shock:
You might be right.

Well heck, if Izzy ain't Solorider, who is he?:giveup:
842512559_NCbBZ-L.jpg

This is really for TJrockit,

I take it you aren't still looking for a trailer ride from San Antonio to McAllen and sharing a room on Wed night. Just want to plan my logistics of getting to McAllen.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR 650

Tricepilot and Richard,

What temperatures should we expect at this time of year at 5000 plus ft? Just want to make sure I pack enough but not too much riding clothes. I know, layering is the key but you still need to know a roundabout range. I just got a new Tourmaster 2-season expedition jacket/pants set with independent removeable waterproof and thermal liners. I'd like to leave the thermal liners at home but not if its going to be really cold.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR-650

The most it's taken me to have it delivered to my door has been 3 days.

That said, to avoid a last-minute snafu, as JT suggested, just ride up to Austin and stop in the AM to get one at the consulate.

Then, have lunch at the Mellow Mushroom on Guadalupe and on the way home stop at Mellow Johnny's bike shop and say hi to Lance for me.

Hey Tricepilot,

Sadly, Lance is already in Europe training for the TDF. We are having another MTB race at his "ranch Juan Pelota" on 29-30 May. The Mellow Johnnys folks will be there but Lance will proably not be there.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR 650 and numerous Canondale Road and MTB bikes

It'll be pleasant during the day in the 70s and 80s and at night, outside, it can dip into the 40s. I rode with a mesh moto jacket during the day w/o a liner. Tossed on my UA jacket at night sometimes walking around town but really didn't feel I had to have it.

You won't really need cold weather gear per se. Richard, John and I were at 9,500 feet at Cloudcroft two weeks ago and during the day I used what I describe above. And we were running through the snow.

Sadly, Lance is already in Europe training for the TDF.

I like the way Bob Roll always says "Tour Day Frants", mocking those of the organizers who give/gave Lance a hard time about blood doping.

Roll was one of Armstrong's trainers when Armstrong was making his bid to come back after cancer. I met Roll at Bike World on 1604 here in S.A. when they opened the new store, and talked to him quite a bit. He absolutely hates the Tour snob organizers, but he loves the French people. He lives in Durango, Colorado much of the year. I'll be in Durango on Thursday, I'll try to look him up.

It'll be pleasant during the day in the 70s and 80s and at night, outside, it can dip into the 40s. I rode with a mesh moto jacket during the day w/o a liner. Tossed on my UA jacket at night sometimes walking around town but really didn't feel I had to have it.

You won't really need cold weather gear per se. Richard, John and I were at 9,500 feet at Cloudcroft two weeks ago and during the day I used what I describe above. And we were running through the snow.

Super, thanks

I leave behind the thermal liners and pack the rain-proof ones just in case.

I'll bring some extra layering for the nights. You know that really cold cerveza can lower your core body temp and make you feel cold! Of course frijoles with jalapenos can warm you up as well.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR 650

I like the way Bob Roll always says "Tour Day Frants", mocking those of the organizers who give/gave Lance a hard time about blood doping.

Roll was one of Armstrong's trainers when Armstrong was making his bid to come back after cancer. I met Roll at Bike World on 1604 here in S.A. when they opened the new store, and talked to him quite a bit. He absolutely hates the Tour snob organizers, but he loves the French people. He lives in Durango, Colorado much of the year. I'll be in Durango on Thursday, I'll try to look him up.

Not trying to de-rail this MexTrek thread but....My son got to share a room with Bob Roll for a week in Durango during one of the USCF Jr training camps a few years back. My son said it was "fun". Too bad, that after a full college cycling scholarship offer, my son gave up cycling for a local SA girl that later dumped him. He hasn't returned to the saddle since. Now he wants to be a COP.

Being a Dad is such fun........

Bill Payne
2008 KLR 650

This is really for TJrockit,

I take it you aren't still looking for a trailer ride from San Antonio to McAllen and sharing a room on Wed night. Just want to plan my logistics of getting to McAllen.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR 650

Yes sir, sorry I didn't follow up earlier. I finally got it finalized that I'm going down with a few guys Tuesday night and then we are going to cross the border early Weds morning.

I really appreciate the offer. We'll see you in Galeana!! :rider:

You know that really cold cerveza can lower your core body temp and make you feel cold! Of course frijoles with jalapenos can warm you up as well.

Evenings not spent jaw-boning on the square are best spent in the warm, cozy confines of La Casona, a few rounds of cervezas among friends.

TIP: Don't pass by the boot shine guys on the zocalo. Shine your boots, every night if you can stand it, and give these guys some extra cash for their families. They don't charge anything to being with and I think too many riders pass them up, because they're thinking about their boots and not the men of have a living to make on the street.

Bill,

Here's the 10 day forecast for Galeana.

High 70s / low 80s during the day. Overnight lows forecast in the low 60s / high 50s. Average precipitation in the month of May is .63 inches and 1.02 inches for June.

It will be a little hotter down in the valleys. A little cooler at higher elevations. You will be riding across the desert to get there, which will be 15 degrees hotter than the mountains.

I'm wearing mesh gear but bringing an insulated liner and some rain gear.

My street boots could use a polishing, but the dirt boots don't really have anything to polish :shrug:

Yes sir, sorry I didn't follow up earlier. I finally got it finalized that I'm going down with a few guys Tuesday night and then we are going to cross the border early Weds morning.

I really appreciate the offer. We'll see you in Galeana!! :rider:

No problem, looking forward to meeting all the MexTrek participants in Galeana.

I still have 1 trailer space and a hotel bed at McAllen (Hotel 6) on Wednesday night for a bike and rider from San Antonio to McAllen if anyone is interested. I plan on leaving SA around 0800 on Wednesday morning, 26 May for McAllen. I plan on returning to SA from McAllen on 31 May.

Bill Payne
bpayne13@aol.com
(210) 521-1580

If anyone has been stopped by the local police, what type of identification did they ask for? US drivers license, passport, TVIP? - thanks

If anyone has been stopped by the local police, what type of identification did they ask for? US drivers license, passport, TVIP? - thanks

I don't remember anyone being stopped in or around Galeana, but typically they want to see a green colored transferrable ID with a photo of a US President confirming your country of origin.

The TVIP is required at the "20 mile" checkpoint, no way around that really.

I don't remember anyone being stopped in or around Galeana, but typically they want to see a green colored transferrable ID with a photo of a US President confirming your country of origin.

The TVIP is required at the "20 mile" checkpoint, no way around that really.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to have handy and what I could leave at the hotel and/or pack that I don't need to get to it easily if that makes sense.

:tab Keep in mind that not all potential "checkpoints" will necessarily be legal/official checkpoints :wary: For official checkpoints, your tourist permit should be fine. I don't recall having to show my passport or other I.D. at any checkpoints when I went down with Richard a few years back. For any unofficial checkpoints... :shrug:

Mexico law has changed, U.S. citizens may very well be asked to produce their passport downrange, along with the TVIP and the tourist visa.

I have only seen aduana control and Mexico army checkpoints.

There are no "unofficial" checkpoints unless CdG is looking for the Zetas and vice-versa

Tom
Lets go over this. You've got your TVIP vehicle papers and your Tourist "card" for your person. So you needed a passport or whatever to get those two things. So technically those two items are all you'd need.

That being said, in the right circumstances I have no qualms in flashing my US passport.

Being stopped by authorities? Out on the road there could be the federales. That's the army or the erjercito. These guys wear army green and carry semi-automatic weapons. They are usually extremely professional and not to be feared. The general feeling out there is these guys are above corruption. After all, they are the ones being called in to fight the cartels. They are in large groups like patrols, and may have a check point set up just about anywhere. I think there has been one of these out on the main hwy outside of Galeana, between Linares and San Roberto. But I don't remember ever being stopped by them. Maybe they were just stopping trucks.

The guys that can shake you down are the Transito police, the traffic cops. If you speak the lingo you may be able to talk your way around these guys, otherwise $20 should cover just about anything. You'll find these guys in or around a big city like Monterrey. A couple of years ago Primo got lost shortly after crossing the bridge and one of the Transito police drew a map for him as to how to find the aduana building. Very nice but he asked for $$ afterwards. I forget what they paid, probably too much. Probably an "Oh, por favor" would have done! With these guys it ain't about who's right or wrong. Just accept all responsibility within reason and go with the flow. $20 is still a lot down there.

Now the local police in Galeana couldn't be more on your side. They bristle at public beer drinking in the plaza so show respect. In the past they've also complained about our group's ignorance of one-way streets. And they patrol the plaza all night long where our bikes sit.

So Tom, to answer your question, you should have your tourist card tucked into your wallet with your Texas driver's license. TVIP? Why now? Necessary? Probably not.

Having papers readily available is a mixed bag. When I was south of the border in February I entered without any documentation at all. :eek2:

Sure enough I ran into an unexpected army checkpoint and was asked for my "papers". I took so much time rummaging thru my stuff that they grew impatient and waved me on thru. "Aren't you cold?" was about all they said.

There's another group of guys, the state police. They wear black with combat boots and groups ride around in the back of a pick-up truck. Actually, its been a long time since I've had a problem with anyone down there.

Don't be afraid to question your change at a filling station. I still see some sneaky stuff going on there. And yeah, after you get the correct change, I'm with Trice Pilot in that a little tip goes a long way.

There are no "unofficial" checkpoints unless CdG is looking for the Zetas and vice-versa
And these guys, armed with grenade launchers, will travel in groups of black windowed SUV's.

Advertising Insert

Oaxacan black mole is the zenith of cuisine and everybody should try some along with chapulines fritos :sun:

Back to your scheduled programming :mrgreen:

Back