• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Dual sport adventure riders,

Mark your calendar - Mextrek 2008 is Wednesday, Oct 22 - Saturday, Oct 25, 2008.

Mextrek is an annual dual sport adventure ride held in an amazing dual sport playground, the Sierra Leon region of Mexico (the Sierra Madre mountains south of Monterrey, Mexico). The riding there is truly fantastic. If you crave a "biggie size" dose of adventure or have always wanted to go adventure riding in Mexico, then Mextrek is just your ticket. You won't be disappointed.

The general plan is:

Wednesday evening, 7 p.m. - rider meet & greet
Thursday, day - ride
Thursday evening - story telling & tire kicking
Friday, day - ride
Friday evening - story telling & tire kicking
Saturday - head home (or ride more and head home on Sunday)

We are basing out of the town of Galeana, which is about 120 miles south of Monterrey.

You can download a registration form here: MexTrek

Registration is $35. All registered riders will receive a 48 page, spiral bound ride guide, three 11x17 color topographical maps, and a commemorative t-shirt.

The ride guide provides information on things like logistics, border crossing requirements, what to expect, bike prep and packing advice. It also includes 12 recommended routes with description, distance, rating, directions, and ride notes.

Here is this year's t-shirt design
Armadillownewv2.jpg

Last edited:
Mark and I plan to be in Mexico during October but are leaning towards CC. MexTrek is not out of the realm of possibilities yet but, as Mark said, CC is iconic and needs to be done. It's like going to the Boston Marathon or Daytona. -Fred

Fred,

I think every adventure rider should visit Copper Canyon at least once. It's a really beautiful place to ride.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
The ride Thu/Fri and head home Sunday will make it hard for some folks to come, although a new kid will likely make that a moot point for me in particular :doh: However, I am just curious at to why you've decided to do it this way?

I was thinking about the logistics of getting to and from. For riders in Houston and Dallas, making the ride to Galeana or back home in 1 day is a very long day. This way, riders from either of those areas could leave Tuesday afternoon and make it to or reasonably close to the border by Tuesday evening, finishing the trip to Galeana on Wednesday. Wednesday could even include some DS riding, if the rider started at the border on Wed morning. Leave Galeana on Saturday, perhaps making a day of DS riding out of it, and end up at or just across the border Saturday night and then the rest of the trip home on Sunday, getting home at a reasonable time. With this arrangement, riders get 2 full days (Thursday and Friday) of DS riding and an option on a 3rd day (Wednesday) or 4th day (Saturday) of DS riding.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun trip. I will look into it. When do the committments need to be made? Ya gonna camp? Hotel? both? Along the way?
Delores

Delores,

Hotel. We will base the rally/ride in a town with sufficient hotel rooms to accommodate our group.

Early registration will open in June and close Oct 7 (2 weeks prior to the event).

Coming from DFW I am going to be looking for a spot to park a pickup and trailer on this side of the border, and take only the bike into Mexico. I know of one other rider whose bike will be on my trailer, and can squeeze another on too if that comes together.

I will have the whole week off from work, was wondering if anyone else was going down a couple of days early.

As if we needed another reason to go ride in Mexico! I got the following in an email from Adventure Mexico Insurance (the company I buy my Mexican motorcycle insurance from):

"$$$ Gas Prices are Much Cheaper in Mexico $$$

Mexico gas prices are currently much lower than US gas prices, so you may even save money by driving to Mexico instead of a US destination!

Regular unleaded gas in Mexico is about $2.61 per gallon (US dollars & coverted from liters)

Diesel is currently even less expensive at about $2.00 per gallon (US dollars & converted from liters)"

I will have the whole week off from work, was wondering if anyone else was going down a couple of days early.
Ed,

My buddy, Jammin Jerry, mentioned going down several days early to explore Real de Catorce and surrounding area. I'll mention you to him.

I'm going down for the entire week. Maybe more; who knows.
Also considering a side trip to Zaragosa.

This stupid ankle should fit into motocross boots by then.

I'm in for sure! Maybe Chuck and I wiil be able to settle some un-finished business with the "Los Pintas Road" and that "burro".:giveup:

If any of you are thinking of CC, you had better hurry as pavement is making its way to this region in a hurry.

Some pics to whet your appetite:

See all the contour lines? Those are mountains.
Galeana.jpg

The mountains are beautiful and fun to ride.
100_1389.jpg

KLRs at 12,200 feet
DSC00281.jpg

Riding above the clouds
DSC00287.jpg

The Mexican DS Dragon
DSC00272.jpg

Ride HQ is the Hotel Jardin
DSC00320.jpg

Please put me down as a hopeful. I will be leaving the BMW rally in Puerto Vallarta on Sunday Oct.19th. If I make it home in time to change bikes and pet the dogs, I hope to make the event. I might be a day or two late getting there. Anybody planning on staying later?

I have been to CC Mexico four times, I took my two brothers to CC last year and they had a had time on the dirt from back roads from Batopilas to Urique on KLR 650's.... Mex Tex seems a little greener a little wetter and not as rugged???? How can I convince my two brothers this trip is better,,,,,,,,
Mike

OK, Someone that has been to both places, Tell me the difference in the riding,,,I am sure the people and the kids are as friendly there as in CC.
Just poking around for a little feed back....
Mike

C

Chango

Sounds good ..... If i go , i might drop down thru N. Laredo via the old highway. And right thru downtown Monterrey:rider: . Not sure whether to ride the 2wd Ural or the Ol' GS.

Just got back from the area Memorial day weekend.
Not much has changed. There is a new hotel up from Cercado on the Laguna/Rayones road. Its being b

C

Chango

Its being built behind the taco place uphill west of Cola de Caballo The owner welcomes bikers passing thru on their way to Galeana.

OK, Someone that has been to both places, Tell me the difference in the riding,,,I am sure the people and the kids are as friendly there as in CC.
Just poking around for a little feed back....
Mike
Mike,

The riding in CC is more scenic. The terrain is more varied in the Sierra Leon region.

I think there are more class 1 & 2 unpaved roads in the Sierra Leon region than at CC. At CC you have two good class 2 roads (the one to Batopilas and the one to Urique). There are more rugged class 3 roads at CC (the back road from Batopilas to Urique, for example) but less options on class 2 roads.

The Sierra Leon region is lots closer, easier & quicker to get to, and less expensive to get to.

The people in Sierra Leon are quite friendly and the good looking Cuban dancers liked the gringos (just ask Uncle). :trust:

Finally, Uncle & Milton will both be in Galeana at the same time. If you really want some adventure in your life then this alone is enough to choose MexTrek over CC. If you are hanging out with those 2 guys and you don't have some epic adventure then you are probably incapable of having an adventure. :-P

Last edited:
Thanks Richard,,, I think I am looking for more class 1 and 2 roads,
I am about 75% in at this point, Working on the kitchen pass,,,,,,,
Mike

Vinny

Forum Supporter
I missed TAR due to last minute family stuff ; I'm not missing this one. I'm bilingual so that should help some. Class 1 & 2 for me also due to my V-Strom. Looking forward to it. The pictures remind me of my native Ecuador.

Update:

I had a special topo map of our riding area made for us and it is finally done. The ride guide is about 3/4 finished and I'm working furiously to get it done in the next week. Based on intel from last year's recon and assistance from Milton Otto there are 12 recommended routes ranging from class 1 to class 3. And, finally, I've got a price quote for the t-shirts.

So, I expect to open registration next week.

Last edited:
Looks interesting, especially the part about the Cuban Dancers who are friendly toward older guys.:)

Is it very difficult to learn to read Mexican road signs? Will I need a short course in Mexican lingo?

If I am able to get a Zumo GPS by then would it be possible to plot a route from the US to Mexico with the maps that normally come on the US version?

I have two options as far as bikes to ride there: 1. Truck the DR350S all the way, or 2. pack and ride the KLR650 all the way there. In your opinion would one be better than the other? From my place, it a little 500 miles to Galeana.

Thanks

Jerry,

It's not particular difficult to figure out what most of the roads signs are telling you. A quick review on the internet will probably bring you up to speed pretty quickly.

I don't know if you can plot a course to Galeana with the maps that come with the Zumo. But, for sure the maps that come with the Zumo don't have the smaller roads in Mexico, so I recommend the Bicimaps to you.

As for trailering the 350 or riding the KLR, it's a personal decision because I think both options are about the same. Is 500 miles of highway in 1 day on the KLR more or less appealing than trailering the DR? When you get there do you want to ride the more difficult class 3 routes or do you prefer the class 1 & 2 routes?

+1 on Bicimapas

They have just released the 2008 upgrade which details many of the smaller roads and trails that were not on the 2007 and earlier versions. Also detailed on the 2008 version is a topo feature that shows up when you zoom in to a high resolution view. Their software works with Mapsource and now autoroutes. Prices are $60 for the Northeast map which covers all of our intended area, or $97 for all of Mexico.

Is there an un-official/official sign up ride list, for MexTrek?
Excellent question and perfect timing.

Registration is now open for MexTrek. I finishd the ride guide last night, which was the last thing I needed to get done before opening registration.

You can download the registration form here: MexTrek

mff

Check is in the Mail.

Thanks,
Mike

PS: about the Cuban women-see attached pic

C

Chango

Ok,Ok, Any other sidecar rigs going? I'm going to combine this with a trip into
some other areas. Maybe West of Galeana or South of there. Not sure yet.:rider:

Excellent question and perfect timing.

Registration is now open for MexTrek. I finishd the ride guide last night, which was the last thing I needed to get done before opening registration.

You can download the registration form here: MexTrek
Registration and check in the mail.

Bill:rider:

OK, help me out here. I am interested in getting into dual sport. I have 250,000 or so miles on road bikes, quite a bit of experience on ATV's in sand, dirt, and mud, and some limited dirt bike experience. Since I live in the country, I have to ride my BMW 1150RT on gravel, like, every day. Quite a bit of solo touring. I am pretty physically fit for my age which is 59. Here is my question:

Is this ride something that I could do if I apply myself? I am thinking about getting a dual sport bike, possibly a KLR, in the next couple of months, getting as much time on it as possible, and trying to be ready to go by Oct. I might trailer it down and take off riding from the start point, or I might ride down there over a two day period.

Or, should I start off with something less ambitious? By the way when I decide to do something, I can get pretty serious about it.......

db

Dave,

Considering your extensive motorcycling experience and the fact that you ride on gravel often, I think you would be able to handle MexTrek fine. Get that KLR and spend some time riding dirt roads (you don't even have to ride off-road, just non-paved roads). If you can handle the dirt roads in Texas on a KLR you will be fine in Mexico on the class 1 and 2 non-paved roads.

I'm heading to that area in the next couple weeks or so. Richard, need me to check on anything in particular?
You could check to see if they've built a third hotel in Galeana. I heard one was being built. If so, its name, address, and phone number would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the offer.

Vinny

Forum Supporter
I have a friend w/ bike expirience that wants to join me on this trip . But, he only has a street bike for now. Does anyone know of a rental outfit for dual sports around the border ?

Vinny,

I don't know of a rental outfit at the border, but there is one in Austin that rents KLRs.

I think the challenge will be getting the vehicle sticker for a rented bike. The Mexican government is quite particular about the rules for bringing in vehicles and I'm not sure what your friend would have to do to get a rental into Mexico.

Thanks Richard; I'll look into it. Maybe the rental company will know.
I dont know if Richard PMd you the info or not, but I'm pretty sure MotoDiscovery is the one he is referring to.

A buddy of mine was wanting to fly to Monterrey to meet me next weekend and rent a bike to ride. MD said $800 for a week to rent a DR650. I'm not sure what that includes and if it is to cross the border or not. I'm sure MD can get the bike across and you can do your thing after that. I have no idea, honestly.

Good luck.

Vinny

Forum Supporter
Terra
Great info; you just saved me some time. Sounds expensive though.:eek2:
I'll pass it on.

C

Chango

There are 185 two stroke Suzuki's (new)for sale in Monterrey for around $2300.00 .

I have a friend w/ bike expirience that wants to join me on this trip . But, he only has a street bike for now. Does anyone know of a rental outfit for dual sports around the border ?

From Adventure Mexico Insurance today via email:

Gas Prices in Mexico

"$$ Gas Prices are Much Cheaper in Mexico $$$

Mexico gas prices are currently much lower than US gas prices, so you may even save money by driving to Mexico instead of a US destination!

Regular unleaded gas in Mexico is about $2.80 per gallon (US dollars & coverted from liters)

Diesel is currently even less expensive at about $2.19 per gallon (US dollars & converted from liters)

NOTE: The further you get from the border, the cheaper the gas prices will get. The Pemex stations near the US border tend to charge much higher prices."

Passports

"Passports are NOT required for driving to Mexico, but Birth Certificates are if you do not have a passport!

- Passports or PassCards will not be required for land border crossings until June 2009.

- As of January 2008, US Border Authorities began asking for photo id and proof of US citizenship in the form of a passport or birth certificate.

-The new wallet-sized Passport Cards or PassCards can be applied for today!"

More info on passcards here

Richard,

Excellent job on the registration materials (received today). The large color topo maps were a very nice touch!

Regards,

Joel.