• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gibson
Dale, There is a guy name Chuck that I have road with before that called me the other day. And was trying get me to ride with him in Copper Canyon the weekend before and then ride down from there for this. But I just don't have the time to do that much riding, I sure wish I did. If your up for that much then I can give him a call for you.

Bruce

Bruce,
Thanks, I wish I could do that but I don't have that much time either. I was only hoping to leave a couple of days early for the Galeana area.

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Bell
At the risk of being told to do a search, I've got a GPS question. Hopefully I can just get a simple answer and not irritate the crap out of everyone with this. Are you ready? Here it is:

What GPS should I buy? I'm asking here because I want to be able to get one appropriate for the trip. I want to add mexico maps, have it waterproof and rugged, and hopefully not too expensive ($300-$400). I mean, my old Garmin MkV was just fine but it crapped out yesterday. I'm thinking one of those Garmin 60Cx's or something. So what do you think? .

Reaction score
another question, sorry if its been asked before

is getting premium gas a problem on this trip?, would be a 2 gal tank

do octane packets work?

(no im not going this year)

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Dave,

I asked Rusty if he could provide an answer / advice for you. He is much more knowledgeable about GPS than I.

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
I'm thinking one of those Garmin 60Cx's or something. So what do you think? .

Dave, that would be an excellent choice. I ran one of those until I got the Zumo. I actually liked the fact that the 60C series runs on AA batteries - they last a long time. And the 60Cx has a Sandisk card slot to upgrade memory. About $250 on Amazon. The 60CSx has a compass and an altimeter for about $50 more.

Is getting premium gas a problem on this trip?

222478495_9wsnG-L.jpg

PEMEX is the national standard gasoline in Mexico, and premium is the rojo. You can find it all over the place.

222478828_nQCXv-L.jpg

Bob

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
is getting premium gas a problem on this trip?, would be a 2 gal tank

do octane packets work?

I don't ever buy premium gas, but as I recall it is often available at the gas stations in Mexico.

On the other hand, if you are riding an adventure route out in the boonies and buying gas from a 55 gallon drum, you probably won't be able to get premium.

I've never used octane packets. Sorry.

Reaction score
I'm thinking one of those Garmin 60Cx's or something. So what do you think? .

I'm using the Garmin 60CSx and have had real good luck with it. I bought the 2 gig memory chip so it has plenty of room for map, routing and track data. The RAM mounting system has worked real well too.

I loaded the Bici maps of Mexico without any real issue. I'll be putting them to the test on this trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gibson
Has anyone tried to do any kind of funds transfer to pay for the hotel in advance? Does it matter if we do not?

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
PharrSide,

We were able to make our reservations last year without a funds transfer. While there are more of us this year, I'm operating off the belief that the verbal reservations each rider has made will be sufficient again this year.

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Stults
At the risk of being told to do a search, I've got a GPS question. Hopefully I can just get a simple answer and not irritate the crap out of everyone with this. Are you ready? Here it is:

What GPS should I buy? I'm asking here because I want to be able to get one appropriate for the trip. I want to add mexico maps, have it waterproof and rugged, and hopefully not too expensive ($300-$400). I mean, my old Garmin MkV was just fine but it crapped out yesterday. I'm thinking one of those Garmin 60Cx's or something. So what do you think? .

Dave, look at the Zumo 450 and 550. These GPS' are made for motorcycles, water proof, shock resistant, etc. Load music or maps on SD card, compass and more info than I will use. I have the 550, msrp $1000., internet price $649 and that is the kit w/motorcycle and car mounts plus more. The 450 is a bit cheaper. Do a search for best price. I like mine.
Martin

Vinny

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Vinny
Tires for MexTrek

My 62 closests friends:

Just ordered a TKC 80 for the front and a Maxxis Detour for the rear of my Wee Strom from Bike Bandit. I guess I should of asked if any of you had any problems getting tires from them. Hope all goes well. I heard that the Detour tires have been getting low in stock.
Can't wait !! :rider:

Reaction score
First Name
Milton
Last Name
Otto
Hola to all participants of Mextrek 2008. Your humble servant Meeel-tone is here in Galeana making sure all hotel reservations are firm. If anyone has any questions or requests, like you want a room that will comfortably accomdate 2 people, let me know. I will be here today only.

Reaction score
First Name
Milton
Last Name
Otto
The Jardin has 21 different names on the register. Jim Green is listed 3x. 25 rooms total. Hotel manager Filipe sez two of you wanted to wire $ but so far none has been received. Actually wiring money as guarentee (sp?) for your room is not necessary. I assured Filipe that we would fill the Jardin, per Richard. I assured Filipe if by chance we didnt fill the rooms, we would still pay for them. This was a decision I made on my own.

There is an extra conference room (small bath included) used for meetings or families that has 5 beds, room for 8, (or even more if you bring bedding) for those that wish the camping experience. I figure this will be our overflow room, for people or baggage. 5 rooms are big enough to accomodate 2 people. The rest of the rooms have 2 beds but are a little cramped for 2 guys. 2 rooms have only one bed.
These accomodations are Spartan but adequate.

I will check out the Hotel Magdelena next.

Reaction score
First Name
Milton
Last Name
Otto
Actually the rooms at Hotel Magdalena (total of 26) are a tad nicer than the Jardin, though I am personally partial to the Jardin. At the Magdalena, two doors down from the Jardin, the rooms are more standardized, each has two double beds, the bathrooms are slightly larger. AND they have protected parking for our bikes. 6 lucky ones at the Magdalena will actually have protected parking right outside their room windows if they wish. This is in an alley way between buildings, very secure, high metal fence, locked gate, trust me. Behind the Hotel is protected parking for 60 bikes. Jardin people may use Magdelana parking.

That being said, there aint a whole lot of extra room for cars or trucks, but I dont see that as a problem. I parked my Caddy on the street with no problems. Galeana is very laid back plus the cop shop is neighbors with the hotels. Possibly protected parking is available a few blocks away if you really want.

CeeBee

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Blair
Hola to all participants of Mextrek 2008. If anyone has any questions or requests, like you want a room that will comfortably accomdate 2 people, let me know. I will be here today only.

Hello Milton,
I need to secure a room for two people, (Astor and myself) Tues. Night on the 21st to Sun. Night on the 26th leaving Mon. morning. I will need to find a place to park my pickup too but will probably have to figure that out when I get there.
See you there
Chuck

mff

Reaction score
Milton,
Please confirm my reservation on the same room (Jardin) I had last year- 2nd floor, 2 beds
Called it in 2 months ago.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Frederick

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Bell
If you're still there please make sure my name is on the list for a room. Thanks a bunch I'll buy you a beer.

dave bell

Reaction score
I just got the official approval and well wishes from the wife for this trip. :sun:

Well, it was actually more like "WTH, another **** bike trip!!!:lol2:

See you all in Galeana.

Kenny

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Blaschke
As Bob mentioned earlier: Passport, CC in your name, registration.
All names must match.

Ok, when you say match, do you mean exactly.
My Credit cards and my title on my ktm are in my
First name, middle initial and last name.
My passport and driver's license spell out my entire middle name.
Is this going to be an issue.

All my other vehicular documents are in my full name, I don't know why this one ended up with just my middle initial.

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Ok, when you say match, do you mean exactly.
My Credit cards and my title on my ktm are in my
First name, middle initial and last name.
My passport and driver's license spell out my entire middle name.
Is this going to be an issue.

All my other vehicular documents are in my full name, I don't know why this one ended up with just my middle initial.

You should be just fine. It is usually when the first names don't match because of the Robert/Bob Richard/Dick John/Jack substitution thing that folks run into trouble. If you are "Robert Jones" on your registration but "Bob Jones" on your credit card, you can expect a delay or refusal.

Just remind yourself to call your credit card company and let them know you will be taking the card into Mexico so you don't get a hold put on the card at the border.

Bob

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Bob's Top Tips

OK in response to a PM I received here are my top tips for a care-free experience in Mexico. Richard's book has these and other tips, and there are other, more experienced Mexico veterans out there, I'm just responding to the question as put to me and asked that I post my favorite tips.

(1) Have a spare key for your motorcycle and tape it to the frame with black electrical tape. Having a spare key in your wallet doesn't count because Murphy will make sure you can't find it when you need it. Have a spare key for any keyed item that is not keyed alike.

(2) Mexico motorcycle insurance. Don't cross the border without it. I have never known anyone who actually needed to use it, but for sure if you don't get it I would hate to hear that you are the first example of the poor person who needed it and didn't have it.

I have a fairly new bike but I just get liability insurance and self-insure the bike. You have to have liability insurance papers to show the law if you are involved in an accident even if someone else caused the accident because in Mexico everyone is detained and fault is determined later. Also, know that if you obtain full coverage I don't know of anyone who insures off-road or racing accidents - only pavement riding. I think you will be wasting your money if you get full coverage but that is up to you, plus it will be 2-3 times more than just liability coverage.

I just went online (as usual) and got a six month liability policy (as I am going back to Mexico in February on a different trip) and it was only about $150 for the six months. If you get a liability policy for Mex Trek it will be less. You can insure the full amount of your bike against theft or collision loss but trust me despite what you have been told you will not have your bike stolen in Mexico. DFW or Houston or San Antonio yes, but Mexico, no.

The company I used today

This was the first time I've used this company but not the last, they have the most straight-forward website and are very motorcycle friendly.

(3) I've seen lots of battery issues on trips - make sure your battery is in decent shape if not replace it now.

(4) This is a big group, at least it will be when we are in Galeana. Don't feel pressured to ride above your comfort level. Trust me there will be people who would rather plod along and stop often to take photos. Its Mexico after all, don't rush it you can do that when you get back on the interstates here at home.

(5) The Mexican army has checkpoints, you will often be waived through but just as often cars will be waived through and they will stop the motorcycles. If motioned to stop, always kill the motor and flip up your helmet if you can if not remove it. Smile and relax, they are very professional and just want to see what is in your bags/panniers. They are technically looking for drugs and weapons but in reality they are also checking out your bike - and may ask you questions about your bike. We used to be able to take photos with these guys and you can ask if you want, but I think word has been passed around no photos for their own security.

(6) Call your credit card company and let them know the card will be pinged in Mexico. I have also used my ATM card from Mexico to Argentina but I call for that as well just to make sure the bank doesn't hold me up.

(7) Keep your big stash of pesos somewhere else other than the wallet you pull out to pay for gas or lunch.

(8) When you pay for gas at the PEMEX tipping the attendent isn't required but 5-10 pesos is 50 cents or a buck and is a nice gesture. They are all full service stations but most riders like to fill their own tank and the attendants will oblige. Make sure the pump is zero'd out and announce to the attendant what denomination bill you are handing them.

All the Mexico veterans who are reading this are bored because they know all of this and more - once again, this is just what I would tell someone who has never been to Mexico from my perspective.

Now, the most important thing is this: Mexico isn't the border town nor is it Cancun or some other quasi-American retreat. What it is, is a country with the most amazing, beautiful people on planet and the best architecture, food, and scenery to be found on earth.

Richand's MexTrek is the perfect venue for first time Mexico motorcyclists since it is fairly close to home yet far enough inland that you will quickly feel like you are in another (heavenly) world. The group is big and will split into natural sub-groups to suit everybody's riding style. Heck, some people might just want to sit around the square in Galeana and just take it all in.

I am making the run down to Mexico on the 11th of October in advance of MexTrek to Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta via San Miguel de Allende and other colonial gems, but I'll see you all in Galeana soon. I'll be stopping in the town of Tequila so if you want any of their product let me know!

:chug:

My last two tips:

(9) Bring you camera and fill up the card

(10) Try whatever spanish you know. You will be respected and warmly received for the trying.

Bob

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Great advice, Bob. Good for the first timers and a fine reminder for the veterans. Thank you.

C

Chango

Re: Bob's Top Tips

:clap: :chug:

Now, the most important thing is this: Mexico isn't the border town nor is it Cancun or some other quasi-American retreat. What it is, is a country with the most amazing, beautiful people on planet and the best architecture, food, and scenery to be found on earth.

Richand's MexTrek is the perfect venue for first time Mexico motorcyclists since it is fairly close to home yet far enough inland that you will quickly feel like you are in another (heavenly) world. The group is big and will split into natural sub-groups to suit everybody's riding style. Heck, some people might just want to sit around the square in Galeana and just take it all in.

(10) Try whatever spanish you know. You will be respected and warmly received for the trying.

Bob

Reaction score
Re: Bob's Top Tips

(1) Have a spare key for your motorcycle.

Excellent advice.....DAMHIK

(3) I've seen lots of battery issues on trips - make sure your battery is in decent shape if not replace it now.

It gets to be a pain having to jump-start someone in your group every time you stop. Been there, done that. Ain't no fun.

(4)Don't feel pressured to ride above your comfort level.

Mexico is not the place to test your limits. Help and/or medical assistance can be a long ways off and take many hours to get to you.

(5) The Mexican army has checkpoints....... Smile and relax, they are very professional and just want to see what is in your bags/panniers.

I have never had a problem at a checkpoint. A smile and a "Buenos dias Senor" goes a long ways.

(7) Keep your big stash of pesos somewhere else other than the wallet you pull out to pay for gas or lunch.

I have never had a situation arise where I needed a dummy wallet but I always take one. My dummy wallet has an old D.L., some expired C.C.'s, the stock pic that comes in a new wallet, and only the money I expect to need that day. I never carry my real CC on my person except to get more pesos from and ATM. I move money into my dummy each night. I keep my real C.C.'s and most of my cash in another wallet hidden in my bags in a pair of socks. Not that I expect to get held up but folks have been known to leave their wallet somewhere or lose it and I don't want to lose all my cash and credit cards in MX.

Excellent Bob, and so very true.

Kenny